U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:23 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,542,487 times

Advertisements

On cars by .5%. Evidently they're drooling over the 3 million plus that Missoula county got last year. Watch for it on a ballot coming soon to a town near you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,163,080 times
Good thing my parents no longer have to register their cars (I think that's how it works? Permenant license plates for older cars?)

Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,906,888 times
That's what I have on my old wreck ! I'm gonna drive it until the wheels fall off !
All the paint already has as well as a few miscellaneous exhaust system parts ! Before I'm done with it it's going to look like this one ! And so will my house !
Attached Thumbnails
Flathead wants to raise taxes AGAIN...-old-miners-shack.jpg  

Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 PM

77 posts, read 213,714 times
You all have got to be kidding me. What are they doing with their current
tax revenues. All the people moving in make things go wacko, then we
have one good all fashioned winter and they all go whinning back to where
ever they came from and every thing is all wrecked. Wanna hear a good
one???? I am a nurse, I used to work at krmc, dont now because I'm not
currently in MT, but one day this MD was complaining because "most of the people who live here cant afford to live here" What a freaking moron!!! It is creeps like him who make it so 4th and 5th generation montanans cant afford to live there any more. He left a long time ago ,but
his and other's legacies live on with the natives to pay for it.

Last edited by jarsmom; 07-23-2008 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: I cant spell

Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,847,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsmom View Post
You all have got to be kidding me. What are they doing with their current
tax revenues. All the people moving in make things go wacko, then we
have one good all fashioned winter and they all go whinning back to where
ever they came from and every thing is all wrecked. Wanna hear a good
one???? I am a nurse, I used to work at krmc, dont now because I'm not
currently in MT, but one day this MD was complaining because "most of the people who live here cant afford to live here" What a freaking moron!!! It is creeps like him who make it so 4th and 5th generation montanans cant afford to live there any more. He left a long time ago ,but
his and other's legacies live on with the natives to pay for it.
OK, I can appreciate your anger regarding the insensitive remark made by the physician. I can also appreciate the frustration underlying your implicit "no growth" attitude. However, help me understand the connection between "people moving in and making things go whacko" and the greed of the local government "leaders" seeing an easy target to balloon their coffers. Unless you elected these NEW arrivals who don't know anything about Montana as your government officials, it seems you just have power-hungry Montanans taking advantage of other Montanans.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:44 AM

He's saying that the people who move here from California are pushing taxes higher because they build expensive homes and expect (and are willing to pay) higher taxes and higher tax rates than Montana natives are.

I can't say if that's true or not, but that's his point.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:23 PM
GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
He's saying that the people who move here from California are pushing taxes higher because they build expensive homes and expect (and are willing to pay) higher taxes and higher tax rates than Montana natives are.

I can't say if that's true or not, but that's his point.
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I must be cognitively impaired today, because I still don't see the connection. If the "Californians" buy more expensive homes and pay higher real estate taxes, and the government has this extra property tax money, why do they need more taxes on CARS specifically? Logically, with all the extra revenue from the taxes on expensive homes they could LOWER the tax on cars so all Montanans could benefit.

I also would like to know if any of the politicians that thought this up are "Californians" that were inapproriately elected, or they all Montanans who are greedy for the new "California" money, and who don't care how it affects the average Montanan.

To reiterate, I understand the jarsmom's angst, but it seems misplaced. The real enemy appears to be the local government, and their inability to live within a budget. Are services provided really increasing commensurate
with taxes demanded?

Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I must be cognitively impaired today, because I still don't see the connection. If the "Californians" buy more expensive homes and pay higher real estate taxes, and the government has this extra property tax money, why do they need more taxes on CARS specifically? Logically, with all the extra revenue from the taxes on expensive homes they could LOWER the tax on cars so all Montanans could benefit.

I also would like to know if any of the politicians that thought this up are "Californians" that were inapproriately elected, or they all Montanans who are greedy for the new "California" money, and who don't care how it affects the average Montanan.

To reiterate, I understand the jarsmom's angst, but it seems misplaced. The real enemy appears to be the local government, and their inability to live within a budget. Are services provided really increasing commensurate
with taxes demanded?
You are correct that it is the local government officials that vote to raise taxes.

It's important to understand is where taxes go. The property taxes don't go to the county (directly), they go to the state and the state legislature doles some of the money back to the cities and counties. Some vehicles taxes go directly to the county, so when the county needs more revenue, they have the ability to increase vehicle taxes but not property taxes.

The reason why people complain about Californians is because they are the ones that started building houses in the woods yet continuing to demand police, fire, paved roads, and other services they were used to back home. The county obliged because it needs to make the people happy but now has to raise taxes in order to pay for it. Paved roads are one example of a big issue in the Flathead right now - the additional traffic by newcomers is causing a lot more dust to go into the air so the county is having to consider paving the roads. They feel (incorrectly or correctly, I dont' know) that they need to raise taxes to pay for that. Had everyone decided to live in town, there wouldn't be a need to raise taxes.

Make sense?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 PM

77 posts, read 213,714 times
Default flathead taxes

The point of what we are saying is this. High influxes of people over a short period of time cause property taxes to sky rocket, amoung other taxes. Then pretty soon grandma and grandma cant afford their place anymore because they cant afford the taxes, all so some rich brat can "summer in quaint Bigfork" I'm not talking about no growth,or modernization, we all welcome that any way I think we do. The issue is people moving in and then changing our way of life and trampling on our
values by complaining about how things worked where they were before,or
instead of keeping in pace with what everyone else is living in they come
and build a "cabin worth a 1/2 million dollars"

You are right about 1 thing, the elected officals are taking advantage, and have done so for years. I think the flathead has had more of a problem with this.

I hope that helps

Old 07-24-2008, 09:34 PM
GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsmom View Post
The point of what we are saying is this. High influxes of people over a short period of time cause property taxes to sky rocket, amoung other taxes. Then pretty soon grandma and grandma cant afford their place anymore because they cant afford the taxes, all so some rich brat can "summer in quaint Bigfork" I'm not talking about no growth,or modernization, we all welcome that any way I think we do. The issue is people moving in and then changing our way of life and trampling on our
values by complaining about how things worked where they were before,or
instead of keeping in pace with what everyone else is living in they come
and build a "cabin worth a 1/2 million dollars"

You are right about 1 thing, the elected officals are taking advantage, and have done so for years. I think the flathead has had more of a problem with this.

I hope that helps
Thank you to both you and bigtrees. I wish we could solve this problem, but I think it's "above our pay-grade". I will continue to try to affect the very small portion of the universe I am responsible for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana