U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 03:23 PM

592 posts, read 2,576,768 times

Advertisements

I am terribly frustrated living in Liberal dominated MN and am considering a move to Montana or Alaska. I'm looking at a place in Phillips County and am wondering if any folks out there have any knowledge of the community, people, lifestyles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 08:35 AM

51 posts, read 211,904 times
Default Moving

Hi! Just saw your questions so will try to answer what I can. I live in Valley County which is just east of Phillips County. Most of the area is very similar--- rural countryside with rolling hills and prairie land --- some farming and some ranching. This area is quite conservative but also very friendly and welcome people from all parts of life. I think Glasgow (where I live) is very progressive and has lots to offer --- we have some new industry moving here, great schools (in fact the only school that has increased enrollment east of the mountains in MT), great sports offerings, hunting and fishing, recreation at Fort Peck Lake etc. Not sure where in Philips County you were looking at but at least the climate and countryside is similar to what I mentioned. Yes we can get cold but if you live in MN, it is very similar to the cold you have there.
Hope this helps!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 AM

592 posts, read 2,576,768 times
Default thanks cowgirl

I am primarily wondering about the population, I am assuming like most small towns, folks are friendly. I lived in WY for a number of years and found the "locals" didn't like folks coming from other areas...I never could figure that out. I am looking at a place in Saco (or near it). My wife and I both love hunting and fishing, and here in MN, it's getting tough to find public hunting areas and most public access ramps at the local lakes are filled with citiots on the weekends. I did a little research and was awful surprised when I looked at the MT state website for sex offenders, there appears to be quite a few in and around Phillips county. Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts!

Old 01-29-2007, 03:09 PM

51 posts, read 211,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
I am primarily wondering about the population, I am assuming like most small towns, folks are friendly. I lived in WY for a number of years and found the "locals" didn't like folks coming from other areas...I never could figure that out. I am looking at a place in Saco (or near it). My wife and I both love hunting and fishing, and here in MN, it's getting tough to find public hunting areas and most public access ramps at the local lakes are filled with citiots on the weekends. I did a little research and was awful surprised when I looked at the MT state website for sex offenders, there appears to be quite a few in and around Phillips county. Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts!
Yes, I would say most people are friendly --- Saco is quite small and is a few miles west of here. There isn't much there except bar, post office, school and antique store. I don't know what kind of a processing plant is there but it does emit a strong unpleasant odor. You are quite a few miles from Fort Peck but hunting would be good there. Have you checked places along the lake and river --- Pines area, Fort Peck, Park Grove, Duck Creek etc. Places are reasonable becuase the lake has been down due to the drought. As for sex offenders, that is a little suprising, however Philips county does include some reservation.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:40 PM

9 posts, read 76,842 times
dont move to whitefish. It is too liberal for your liking. As would be any center of education such as Missoula or Bozeman.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 PM

5 posts, read 25,961 times
Any affordable housing in Glasgow, Mt.? In the $60,000 - $70,000 range. I have an acre where I'm at and seems like Mt. has more non-built up land but more expensive per lot. Not looking for more than half acre, seem likes the lots are much small. Looking to get back to the small town atmosphere like I grew up in.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:00 AM

5 posts, read 25,961 times
I hace tried Google and still can not find any on buying on a House in Glasgow, Valley Mt. Any as to price range, etc. will most helpful. any advice from the locals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana