Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:49 PM

127 posts, read 346,379 times

Advertisements

rickers, that's the best news I've heard all day! My husband has been working with CNC's for 20 years. I haven't found much on CNC's and Montana, but your post has encouraged me to dig a little deeper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 03:00 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,165,284 times
Man I liked things better before email, internet and cell phones. The world is getting way too digital.

Not to sound like a kook, but it's ironic how we think we NEED all this stuff, and purchase our own way into a surveillance society.

Just that last thought makes me want to go fishing, which is what I'll be doing once this last thing is finished up here at work. Couple o' beers and a fishing pole... ahhhhhh

Old 08-15-2008, 05:36 PM

745 posts, read 1,282,347 times
What about cement truck driver? My brother-in-law drives cement trucks near Kalispell, MT and earns darn near as much as I do as a small-time network engineer at a small business in CA (I happily give up better pay to avoid the stress of bigger companies you guys are talking about). Also he doesn't work a good part of the winter.

He does tell some pretty harrowing tales though of navigating mountain roads with a full load of cement, and of co-workers tipping their trucks over in various directions. Still, it's a good living wage.

A strategy I'm working on is finding one or two small businesses in CA that will pay me to remotely support them, so I can live comfortably in a place like MT or anywhere that isn't expensive like CA. It's a long shot and not without risks, but small businesses are eager to save money these days.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 PM

9 posts, read 29,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Welding as a profession is a good choice if you like to weld. But if you don't care to weld, welding is a terrible choice for a career.

I had a college professor once who laughed his head off anytime someone walked up to him and introduced himself (herself) as a certified welder....

I was a certified Pipe Welder in Louisianna from 78-81. Got sick of it and quit welding.

I don't know why he would laugh. When you are sent out to a new job, Its the first question you are asked "Are you Certified?" Then "Whats your name?"

Old 08-15-2008, 09:41 PM

274 posts, read 627,273 times
That's what I thought... All my buddies who weld always talked about being or getting certified.

Timberwolf232: I agree with being too connected! Don't get me wrong, I love the Internet and everything associated with it, but when I get out of I.T. I am gonna get rid of my cell phone and just have a home phone. On my off days now, I don't get on my computer at all and usually turn my cell phone completely off!!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,749,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasgambler View Post
I was a certified Pipe Welder in Louisianna from 78-81. Got sick of it and quit welding.

I don't know why he would laugh. When you are sent out to a new job, Its the first question you are asked "Are you Certified?" Then "Whats your name?"
I think it was probably inappropriate for him to laugh, but that reflected more on his personality than anything else.

As far as welder certification, the point that my instructor was making is there is no general "certified welder". Even Lasgambler mentioned he was a certified pipe welder. Becoming certified means that you can create a weld that will meet a weld standard out there, and those weld standards are for a specific process, position, and material.

As an example, you mentioned that you'd like to get certified by AWS, and they offer certification for welding in structural steel, piping, and sheet metal. The certification calls out the weld parameters and you are "certified" to weld to the specific process, position, and materials. (It's based on the requirements set forth in ASME B1.13). If you're interested, look at http://files.aws.org/certification/CW/QC7-93F.pdf, page F-5.

So what my instructor was saying is there are a lot of guys running around saying they are "certified welders" and really they should be running around saying they are "certified to weld in accordance with ASME B1.13". I'm not so sure the later makes great cocktail party conversation, but if accuracy is important.....

I probably am going into this a lot deeper than anyone here is really interested, but I write these standards for a living, so I guess I probably am more interested them in than the average joe. Really the only reason I thought about it was it reminded me of my college days.

For you, if you're interested in welding, getting certified to weld a particular process, etc, is a good way of getting paid more by the hour than the average joes that learned on the farm but can't put down a weld that meets code requirements.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:46 PM

9 posts, read 29,848 times
Bigtrees; Good follow up, Thank you,

Old 08-16-2008, 08:32 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,436,760 times
Im gonna agree with Rickers.. CNC operators/programmers, and the ability to draw in CAD are very good skill sets to have these days. The diversity of things you could work on are endless too. You could be making anything from custom motorcycle parts, to jet engines. Eventually I will be looking for a CNC operator to make knives in N. Idaho, or I will be going to school to learn it myself..;-)

Old 08-17-2008, 10:30 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,043,812 times
I worked in a machine job shop, started a floor sweeper and burr-hand. After ten years I was a tool-maker and fixture builder. All manual lathes and mills, as well performing all the shops QC duties. I have TIG welded many exotic alloy small parts that go into sidewinder missiles and I was never certified. I also started as a "temp" in that shop. The university degree and trade school certification is often over-rated when it comes to getting a job in more rural locations. When I first moved to Mt. I had to go back to working temp jobs such as cleaning sawmills, not fun ! A combination of schooling and on the job training makes a persons qualifications more balanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana