U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:53 PM

274 posts, read 562,020 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if someone could give me some insight about work. I am currently a Network Engineer working in the computer field. My job is very stressful and after 11 years I am looking to move to a new field and get back to an easier and less stressful life.

I am looking at possibly Montana and my move would be in a year or so. I plan on going back to school to get some type of skills trade. Is there anything you guys could recommend? I was thinking about getting certified as a Welder. Is that a good choice?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,462,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_Snow View Post
I was wondering if someone could give me some insight about work. I am currently a Network Engineer working in the computer field. My job is very stressful and after 11 years I am looking to move to a new field and get back to an easier and less stressful life.

I am looking at possibly Montana and my move would be in a year or so. I plan on going back to school to get some type of skills trade. Is there anything you guys could recommend? I was thinking about getting certified as a Welder. Is that a good choice?

Thanks in advance
The good news? A professional welder is hard to come by and is in great demand.

The bad news? As a professional welder, make sure you have your affairs in order by age 55 so that when you die of lung cancer, your family is not left stranded.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 08-12-2008, 01:45 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,163,844 times
Quote:
I was thinking about getting certified as a Welder. Is that a good choice?
Welding as a profession is a good choice if you like to weld. But if you don't care to weld, welding is a terrible choice for a career. As far a welding jobs in Montana, I can't say they are plentiful. I don't know how the supply of welders compares to the demand, but I think mechanics who can weld would be in greater demand than welders who only weld.

One thing I should mention is that welders receive certifications to weld a particular kind of joint (for example, one might be certified to weld steel using shielded metal arc welding in the overhead position), but my understanding is there isn't a general certification for a welder.

I had a college professor once who laughed his head off anytime someone walked up to him and introduced himself (herself) as a certified welder....

Old 08-12-2008, 02:51 PM

What I meant by that is that the courses around here give you a certification saying that you passed your ARC or MIG or TIG courses. And that you have the knowledge of the mechanics of the welding machines and you know how to quality inspect your welds. And you can also become part of the AWS which is the American Welding Society.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:40 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,163,844 times
I'd say that most of the welding jobs (ones that require a certification and therefore pay more) in Montana are in commerical building construction, maybe some road construction, railroads, and mining.

Other industries likely use welders but I don't think they have as stringest requirements about welding to code, and most Montana raised farm boys or anyone that completed high school shop class claim to know their way around the welder, so there is a lot of competition for low-end welding jobs. You'll do well to get trained so you can be certified to weld to a variety of codes so you can claim more money. I can't say there is a lot of that work, but I didn't do much construction work in Montana.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:38 AM

373 posts, read 1,705,517 times
There are a lot of really good comparisons for job growth and wages at Montana Workforce Informer, Home, HOME. I'd encourage you to look at objective sources to base your decision upon; this is the State of Montana department that actually tracks these sorts of things.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:57 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,549,626 times
Electricians, plumbing and mechanics seem to be making out very well here, especially the first two and anything in healthcare.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:31 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,909,801 times
Cnc machine programmers who can do set ups, and also those who can run cnc or manual lathes, mills or other machining equipment can get a job very easily. Machine shops seem to be willing to try a person out even if they aren't currently hiring. Many shops just can't find any locals who really know their way around a machine shop. Knowing how to weld can come in handy also. I have a friend who just got a job at a sawmill. There are still operating mines here and there and there, lots of logging in some areas and some oil drilling resuming in areas if you can handle being a roughneck. Another thing to consider would be to buy some type of heavy equipment and operate it as an independent contractor, I think there is a shortage of cranes in parts of Montana. About your job being stressful, I don't think there are very many good paying jobs that don't cause a bit of stress.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:49 PM

" About your job being stressful, I don't think there are very many good paying jobs that don't cause a bit of stress."

I agree with that... I am the Network Engineer for my current company. My stress comes from the phone systems going down and getting 8 calls from Managers telling you how much money the company is losing every minute until I get the issue resolved. Getting phone calls and having to go into work at 3 am and not getting home till 35 hours later. Having to studying every day of my life to keep up with the latest technologies. I am at the point that my life is work and I don't want that. I want to work to live, not live to work. On average I am putting in about 90-100 hrs a week right now. I wake up and don't even know what day it is sometimes.

In the past 2 months I have lost almost 25 lbs!! I am so busy that most times I don't get enough time for breaks let alone lunch. I am 33 yrs old and just feel like I am putting myself in the grave by being stressed all the time. I just want to get back to the simpler things in life. I have no problem with hard physical work, I grew up working on my buddies farm.

I just need to get out of Corporate America!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 05:09 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,549,626 times
Quote:
" About your job being stressful, I don't think there are very many good paying jobs that don't cause a bit of stress."

I agree with that... I am the Network Engineer for my current company. My stress comes from the phone systems going down and getting 8 calls from Managers telling you how much money the company is losing every minute until I get the issue resolved. Getting phone calls and having to go into work at 3 am and not getting home till 35 hours later. Having to studying every day of my life to keep up with the latest technologies. I am at the point that my life is work and I don't want that. I want to work to live, not live to work. On average I am putting in about 90-100 hrs a week right now. I wake up and don't even know what day it is sometimes.

In the past 2 months I have lost almost 25 lbs!! I am so busy that most times I don't get enough time for breaks let alone lunch. I am 33 yrs old and just feel like I am putting myself in the grave by being stressed all the time. I just want to get back to the simpler things in life. I have no problem with hard physical work, I grew up working on my buddies farm.

I just need to get out of Corporate America!!!
I feel for ya, I really do. I did the same job as you for a world wide corporation and had 6 people in my dept when I started. When I was medically retired (At 43 with blown back,neck as well as carpel tunnel in both hands and other muscle/nerve damage) it was just me doing all the work, the five others had moved to other companies and not replaced (thanks to Andersen Consulting sending us a new CEO) to increase revenue.
Calls at 0330, calls on weekends,holidays etc were the norm and if a virus got loose expect not to see home for days (Melissa virus comes to mind). Try losing 3 mail servers with 60-80 gigs of email because the CIO was too cheap to pay for new ones!
Get out before you end up in my world, relax life is short!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana