U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:48 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,852,965 times

Advertisements

You can fish in Glacier Park without a licence. I take my gun into the park whenever I go, I'd rather be caught with it than without it ! I keep it in my glove-box and in my pocket when hiking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 AM

9 posts, read 22,856 times
Thanks, I can't wait to go to some of these rivers! I would rather be strapped with a side arm though. The locals told me the same things you all did. I will check with the police departments next week just to make sure, but that is what I thought. Same laws as Georgia and that is what I like about that state.

Thanks for the info on Glacier Park. I got excited till I found out that I was 400 miles away. I really want to see western Montana!

In a few days I will be hitting some wilderness with no bother of the industrial world! I have done it many times before, but never with this much solitude!

TY

Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 AM

10 posts, read 37,215 times
Only bad thing I have seen about Montana gun laws is that automatic rifles are illegal......I'll overlook that minor setback.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 AM

9 posts, read 22,856 times
I think Glock makes an auto 9mm that is legal. I think it is double in price. I will have to look into it more so don't quote me on that.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:05 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,406,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes02 View Post
Only bad thing I have seen about Montana gun laws is that automatic rifles are illegal......I'll overlook that minor setback.
Not always, it's my understanding you can get a license, same with silencers.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:55 PM

43 posts, read 31,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reart View Post
I just moved here from Georgia and wanted to go camping. I was wondering if I could carry a side arm (.357).

Also:
I am not yet a resident and understand that I cannot get a concealed weapons permit or fish for 6 months, but I am wondering if it is alright to do a little hiking and camping along the river. I had the yellowstone and missouri in mind.
You don't need a permit to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Montana outside city limits. You can legally carry it loaded in the glove box anywhere in the state of Montana. Handbags, backpacks, and purses are not considered "on Person" in the state of Montana, and therfore you can legally carry concealed in these w/o a permit.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:58 PM

43 posts, read 31,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes02 View Post
Automatic rifles are illegal everywhere in the US w/o a special FFL.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:36 PM

362 posts, read 611,671 times
NRA-ILA :: (http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/ - broken link) and Homeland Security works best with legally armed citizens

Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 AM

239 posts, read 608,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reart View Post
I just moved here from Georgia and wanted to go camping. I was wondering if I could carry a side arm (.357).

Also:
I am not yet a resident and understand that I cannot get a concealed weapons permit or fish for 6 months, but I am wondering if it is alright to do a little hiking and camping along the river. I had the yellowstone and missouri in mind.
You can get an out of state fishing license and fish right away

Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM

239 posts, read 608,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wear it to your hearts content, it's legal as long as you're not in someplace like Glacier Park.
FYI for Yellowstone Park

"No firearms or weapons, including state-permitted concealed weapons, are allowed in Yellowstone. However, unloaded firearms may be transported in a vehicle when the weapon is cased, broken down, or rendered inoperable, and kept out of sight. Ammunition must be placed in a separate compartment of the vehicle."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana