Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:23 PM

52 posts, read 141,510 times

Advertisements

I want to relocate from CA to MT and I own a .38, I was wandering about the gun laws in MT. Do I have to register it in that state or...??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 PM

369 posts, read 1,454,363 times
Registration is not necessary.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 PM

So I can just bring my gun into MT and I don't have to notify anybody? (Can you tell I have lived in CA all my life?? )

Old 08-13-2008, 04:00 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Ummm...I lived in Montana from birth to about age 23, and I never knew about any gun laws in Montana....

As far as legal questions, though, you'd be best off contacting a police department should you end up moving here and asking them any questions you may have about laws that are different (and there are a lot of them). Saying "I read it was ok on city-data.com" isn't enough in Montana to avoid trouble if you get bad information....

I guess what I'm saying is do your homework. Montana is not highly regulated but they do have laws (sometimes weird ones) and do enforce them.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Ummm...I lived in Montana from birth to about age 23, and I never knew about any gun laws in Montana....

As far as legal questions, though, you'd be best off contacting a police department should you end up moving here and asking them any questions you may have about laws that are different (and there are a lot of them). Saying "I read it was ok on city-data.com" isn't enough in Montana to avoid trouble if you get bad information....

I guess what I'm saying is do your homework. Montana is not highly regulated but they do have laws (sometimes weird ones) and do enforce them.
I would surely do that, but I was just wondering if there was a standard that the locals knew about, just so I could look up specifics. Thanks again.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
Welcome,
Bring your .38, but please leave California in California.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Welcome,
Bring your .38, but please leave California in California.
I live in a very rural mountain town in San Diego county. I love country living. The WHOLE point of leaving CA is to leave CA, I can't stand it here anymore. Too many laws, taxes, noses in your business, govt, and on and on. I want a place where you can live and let live. Do you think MT is for me?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:56 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirl_2455 View Post
I live in a very rural mountain town in San Diego county. I love country living. The WHOLE point of leaving CA is to leave CA, I can't stand it here anymore. Too many laws, taxes, noses in your business, govt, and on and on. I want a place where you can live and let live. Do you think MT is for me?
No. Southern California is Southern California. The county of San Diego has around 4 times the population of the entire state of Montana! The county land outside San Diego proper has two to three times the entire state. "Very rural" in southern California is a lot different than "very rural" by Montana standards.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
No. Southern California is Southern California. The county of San Diego has around 4 times the population of the entire state of Montana! The county land outside San Diego proper has two to three times the entire state. "Very rural" in southern California is a lot different than "very rural" by Montana standards.
Good, that sounds like exactly what I am looking for! I specifically looked up towns with a population of 1000 or less in MT. My town has population 1600. I am thinking Philipsburg, know about it? What do you think? As far as leaving CA in CA, can't wait to see this f'ed up state in my rear view mirror.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirl_2455 View Post
Where a person lives is what a person (or people) makes it. There are times to seek refuge and times to take control. Maybe a better question about a move is what time is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana