U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 24,933 times

Advertisements

What is a good place to raise a family in Montana? Me and my husband are expecting our first child in September and we are tired of Large Town Ohio. We both work in healthcare and we're confident we can find a job almost anywhere.

Can anyone advise us? we don't mind snow!

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,568,567 times
There are tons of posts on this site about good places to raise kids in MT. Just do the search option and use things like "raising kids", "health care jobs", etc. in the search subject and I bet you'll find lots of info. Different people across the state (it's a very big state!) have differing opinions about good places to raise kids. A lot depends on the size of town you want to live in, anything from 10 people (or less!) all the way up to our largest "city", which is Billings with around 100K people. If you can give more specifics about what you are looking for then people can help you more, too!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:34 AM

I'm looking for a small place, but not so small that I have send them in a helicopter to school! Somewhere where the crime-poverty-traffic-pollution is not going to be a big issue, where I can afford to buy a house with a large backyard and fill it with dogs. Friendly neighbors. I don't know, I just want a simpler life, if that makes sense.

Georgiainmt, thanks for the tip, I'll do a search

Old 08-22-2008, 11:51 AM

139 posts, read 420,698 times
I have to reply to this but please don't take it the wrong way.
Everyone thinks there is some magical place to raise their children, as if a location can make them better parents. It is not the place that you live, it is your parenting skills that allow for a great place to raise children.

You sound like a good parent, or you wouldn't be concerned about where to raise your child. The only place to raise a child properly is in a good home, whether that home is in L.A., New York or Billings....it all comes down to the home.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,154,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech72 View Post
Everyone thinks there is some magical place to raise their children, as if a location can make them better parents. It is not the place that you live, it is your parenting skills that allow for a great place to raise children.

You sound like a good parent, or you wouldn't be concerned about where to raise your child. The only place to raise a child properly is in a good home, whether that home is in L.A., New York or Billings....it all comes down to the home.
Well said!

Growing up, we had a lot of newcomers in Whitefish. I new some new kids that loved Montana and thought it was great, and I knew some that hated it. I knew some kids that became dentists, doctors, and engineers, and I knew a lot of them that became life long drug addicts. Montana is like any other place when it comes to growing up.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech72 View Post

Yes, I totally agree with what you are saying. But let me rephrase the question then: Is there a nice, small town in Montana where I can build a safe,good life in, for myself an my family?

Being a little more selfish, I just want to move to a small town. I'm tired of being just a number at my job and my community. I'm almost at the point of picking a random spot at the map, and I'm looking for some concrete, human advise.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,476,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Well said!

Growing up, we had a lot of newcomers in Whitefish. I new some new kids that loved Montana and thought it was great, and I knew some that hated it. I knew some kids that became dentists, doctors, and engineers, and I knew a lot of them that became life long drug addicts. Montana is like any other place when it comes to growing up.
All very true but what you also have to figure into the deal is the odds that you're child will come home from school without extra holes in them or that they'll come home at all, also you have to figure in the likelyhood of your child or spouse being taken or being car jacked. All the above are out of your control as parents and spouses so where you live does in fact matter as does the local attitudes and morals. This is why we moved here when our son was young, we knew we could allow him out with his friends to play with very little worry that anything horrible (not of his own doing) would happen to him.
We also felt better that the attitudes and morals around this area were for the most part acceptable though there's always bad influences to combat but much less than a big city so easier to do.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:02 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,154,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyR View Post
Yes, I totally agree with what you are saying. But let me rephrase the question then: Is there a nice, small town in Montana where I can build a safe,good life in, for myself an my family?

Being a little more selfish, I just want to move to a small town. I'm tired of being just a number at my job and my community. I'm almost at the point of picking a random spot at the map, and I'm looking for some concrete, human advise.
I think that's your real question! A lot of people will come on here and wonder what their kids will be like if they are raised here, and I always give my standard answer. But I think that's great that you gave an honest reason for wanting to move her (for youself) because that will help you out a lot.

The best suggestion is to visit the places you'd be interested in, and I suggest this a lot. Visit and see if you'd enjoy being a member of the community there.

There's pros and cons to a lot of places in Montana. Specifically, the disadvantage in Montana usually is the long winter (especially lack of sunlight on the Western side) and generally challenging job market. There are some nice towns that are good places to live for the right person - but visit first to see if you'd enjoy it.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:45 PM

148 posts, read 493,694 times
What is the "simple life" exactly? If you ask me, it's all just a mindset. You can achieve the simple life wherever you're at. I don't understand what makes people think just because they move to a smaller place that their life will magically become simple! You still have to work, you still have bills to pay, you still PEOPLE in your way(it's all relative).

On the same note, living in a smaller town is safer than the large city, cleaner(for the most part), and the people are friendlier(IMO). I do hope you have some family of friends living where you're interested. It IS NOT easy moving to a very small town and meeting people. Even though people can be friendly, it does not mean they want to be your friend!

I have recently gone through the same experience as you are seeking. We moved from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area a few months ago to Shelby, MT. But the difference is my wife was born and raised near the area and has family scattered throughout. We weren't exactly seeking the "simple life", but just a change of pace more than anything.

To say the least, WE are very happy! It has been everything we expected and more. But we still have rent, bills, jobs, daycare, etc. It is not a simple life, though. Our daily living is basically the same as it was in Texas. But our surroundings are completely different. An hour from one of the most beautiful places on earth, and wide open spaces everywhere. But that is what was ideal for US.

Like many other people say, visit several times at different times of the year before you make a decision to move to MT. Because if you just up an move here, you may be packing your bags and moving back in a few months!

And also, do not be too confident you can find a job just anywhere. If you're both nurses, than yeah probably. But also remember that most of these small towns are established and the good jobs are far few between. In larger MT city areas(Missoula, Billings, Gt. Falls) you probably wouldn't have a problem, but you better research the heck out of the small towns!

As far as where you would want to live. WOW!!! You could spend years researching this. You have to really know what you want. Most people don't mind snow, but do you mind -50F degrees? Do you like lots of wind? Do you like really short summers? Do you like wide open prairies or nice mountain views?

You have a lot of work to do before you decide to move anywhere, especially Montana. It's a great state to live in and raise a family and such, but of you are ill prepared it can chew you up and spit you out.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:20 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,476,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman3seven View Post
What is the "simple life" exactly? If you ask me, it's all just a mindset. You can achieve the simple life wherever you're at. I don't understand what makes people think just because they move to a smaller place that their life will magically become simple! You still have to work, you still have bills to pay, you still PEOPLE in your way(it's all relative).
Good point! I actually think while life here is slower in some respects it's actually way more complicated than any city we've lived in. Here you have to find out things on your own and do for yourself for the most part, there's no agency or department anywhere to call. Transportation for the most part is up to you, no bus stops by me.
I guess it'd be simple if self reliance and depending on family instead of others is simple. There are many things less simple here than in a city, I just layed out a general idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana