U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 15,675 times
Default Info On Hamilton Please

Is Hamilton only a college town or are there public schools there also? bkinzler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 04:26 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,242,094 times
I'm sure there's public schools in Hamilton. It's got a few thousand people so it's obviously got to have them. It's been awhile since I've been there but it's an attractive town in a scenic area. It's fairly close to Missoula which is the closest larger city, although there's really no big cities in Montana. It would be worth a visit if you're interested in living there.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 40,792 times
Hamilton is 50 miles south of Missoula, nestled in the Bitterroot Valley. The massive Bitterroot mountains tower to the west of the whole valley, while the gentler Sapphires are to the East. Hamilton does not have a higher level school, although Missoula hosts the University of Montana. Hamilton is around 5,000-10,000 population and along with most of Montana - is growing at a rapid pace - mostly by out-of-staters who have discovered the "banana belt" climate of Hamilton. They are in the process of building a 4 lane highway to Missoula, clear through to Kalispell, as the traffic is so heavy from commuter traffic to Missoula. There is a saying, "Pray for Me! I drive highway 93!" Missoula has around 100,000 population and is growing. I have a home and some land NE of Missoula, up the Blackfoot River Valley "A River Runs Through It?" - that I will be listing on the market this spring. Land is kind of pricey in all of Western Montana, and especially down the Bitterroot.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:37 PM

37 posts, read 100,112 times
Hamilton High School has about 600 students and is the only public school in Hamilton. A better school lies four miles northeast!

Old 02-28-2007, 02:03 PM

373 posts, read 1,298,232 times
Hamilton is not really a college town in that it doesn't technically have a campus--yet. Does anyone know what's going on with the whole development of a potential community college or UM outreach campus down in the Bitterroot? I haven't followed this for a few months.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:02 AM

Well, there is some discussion as to whether we build a Community College or a UM college of technology. Right now, the planning board is pretty polarized. The representative for my area told me that a Community College would put a lot of financial strain on taxpayers. I'm still for the College over the COT (partly because i don't pay taxes yet). Many of UM's COT's have been a waste of time for students. We need something though.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:19 PM

373 posts, read 1,298,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talibkwali View Post
Well, there is some discussion as to whether we build a Community College or a UM college of technology. Right now, the planning board is pretty polarized. The representative for my area told me that a Community College would put a lot of financial strain on taxpayers. I'm still for the College over the COT (partly because i don't pay taxes yet). Many of UM's COT's have been a waste of time for students. We need something though.
I think it really depends. In Helena, the COT offers both general education 2 year degrees as well as technical degrees. I think that's because Helena doesn't have an in-town state-sponsored college to compete against. Almost half of the students in Helena are in gen ed transfer courses or Associate of Art programs. But, every time they want to add a new program they have to get statewide approval from the Board of Regents. I think a community college system would give a little more flexibility and autonomy to meet local needs than a COT would. But, it would probably put a greater burden on tax payers. Interesting! There was just an article in the Helena paper about proposed Bitterroot community college today.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:15 PM

There is always something about the Community College exploratory comittee in the Missoulian or the Ravalli Republic. Check it out! I only believe that UM's COT's can be a waste of time because i know several students who were unable to transfer the COT credits to anywhere outside the Montana University System. Right now it just seems that the planning process is stalled...

Old 04-25-2007, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,671 times
Default yes

are you kidding hamilton has many public schools we have 2 elimentart schools 1 high school and a bunch more and there is a lot more then 600 studenst at our high school i am one of them my self

Old 04-26-2007, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,650 times
Hamilton is the County seat, and has elementary,secondary,and high school, plus a alternative school, there are other schools located in the Bitterrroot Valley, in nearby towns, that offer the same. The valley is about to vote, on May 8th on the possibility of a community college in Ravalli County. oh and if you really want to stir up trouble, ask about Wal-Mart. haha have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana