Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 09:12 AM

79 posts, read 441,276 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Kalispell by this time next year. I had a couple questions I've heard here and there and wanted to get the scoop:

1. What's the big problem with the name of Big Mountain? It's changing to Whitefish something? What's the big deal?
2. When's usually the first day you can go skiing?
3. When's usually the last day?
4. Can you buy season passes?
5. Where?
6. How much?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsForMeAndMyHouse View Post
I'm moving to Kalispell by this time next year. I had a couple questions I've heard here and there and wanted to get the scoop:

1. What's the big problem with the name of Big Mountain? It's changing to Whitefish something? What's the big deal?
2. When's usually the first day you can go skiing?
3. When's usually the last day?
4. Can you buy season passes?
5. Where?
6. How much?

Thanks!
The big problem about the name change is that it's been big mountain for 60 years until some high $$$ guy came in and took over. He shortened the season, raised rates,cut the legnth of time the season pass is good for in half so he could double what he charges (it used to be good summer and winter for one price), got rid of all the long time employees,raised food prices to something like football/baseball stadium prices and the list goes on.
Take a look at Whitefish Mountain Resort at Big Mountain in Whitefish, Montana - Summer Season 2008 for answers to the rest of your questions.
The other big deal is this "new" CEO (William Foley, CEO of one of America's largest title insurance firms) has made it very clear IMO he doesn't give a darn about the locals which have supported that resort and kept it runing in good and bad times for all these years, he has made it clear he doesn't want the locals anymore, he wants rich tourists and the closer he can get the resort to Aspen or Vail the better (in his opinion).
Most locals I know have switched to Blacktail which is more family friendly and local friendly Blacktail Mountain Ski Area Lakeside MT - Welcome to Blacktail Mountain Ski Area and cheaper as well.
As far as my family is concerned we avoid Big Mountain for as much of the season as we can, we refuse to support the Foleycation of Whitefish!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The big problem about the name change is that it's been big mountain for 60 years until some high $$$ guy came in and took over. He shortened the season, raised rates,cut the legnth of time the season pass is good for in half so he could double what he charges (it used to be good summer and winter for one price), got rid of all the long time employees,raised food prices to something like football/baseball stadium prices and the list goes on.
Take a look at Whitefish Mountain Resort at Big Mountain in Whitefish, Montana - Summer Season 2008 for answers to the rest of your questions.
The other big deal is this "new" CEO (William Foley, CEO of one of America's largest title insurance firms) has made it very clear IMO he doesn't give a darn about the locals which have supported that resort and kept it runing in good and bad times for all these years, he has made it clear he doesn't want the locals anymore, he wants rich tourists and the closer he can get the resort to Aspen or Vail the better (in his opinion).
Most locals I know have switched to Blacktail which is more family friendly and local friendly Blacktail Mountain Ski Area Lakeside MT - Welcome to Blacktail Mountain Ski Area and cheaper as well.
As far as my family is concerned we avoid Big Mountain for as much of the season as we can, we refuse to support the Foleycation of Whitefish!
Wow! I knew there was some type of controversy, but I didn't know it was that bad! I went there last Christmas and thought it was beautiful. Too bad all that's going on.

Are there any ski slopes more on the Eureka (north of Whitefish)?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 AM

WOW! I just check the prices from the link you gave me (thanks!). A winter pass costs $535 before 11/30 and then jumps to $805 and then $1,035 after November! What a rip!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Quote:
WOW! I just check the prices from the link you gave me (thanks!). A winter pass costs $535 before 11/30 and then jumps to $805 and then $1,035 after November! What a rip!
It's not a rip. It's all based on who takes the risk.

Buying your pass now means you are assuming the risk that it may be a bad ski year (not much snow). Waiting until November or December reduces your risk since you have a pretty good idea of what the winter will be like then. Since your risk is less, the mountain charges more.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:07 PM

355 posts, read 1,146,303 times
jimj - thanks for the info. I was in the ski resort industry for quite some time in the 80s and early 90s, actually interviewed for a position up there at one point. I had heard through my old grapevine that the place was in chaos and was wondering what the deal was with the name change all of a sudden. That's a real shame to see Big Mountain go that direction; plus side is there are quite a few small areas in the west end of the state that are pretty friendly yet and I don't mind driving to have that experience. I have three major resorts in close proximity here but generally drive clear over to Lookout to ski and stay with a friend down in Missoula. If we pool the gas isn't that bad and it's nice to spend a day with a bunch of hometown folks with much older but friendlier surroundings.

Besides, I go skiing to ski...I don't give a rip about all the amenities which seem to be the norm now. Nothing but corrals and chutes in my opinion. Give me good snow and people who aren't afraid to evac lifts anytime...

Old 09-23-2008, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,949 times
Quote:
Actually, it's not that much of a rip. Check out the Fernie website in British Columbia, Canada. A season's pass is not even at full price yet and it's almost $1000 CDN. That's pretty much the norm with all the big resorts in the area. It sucks but Whitefish at least isn't that bad yet and it has more amenities than the Fernie ski hill.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
I still call it The Big Mountain ! It really isn't all that big but it has some really good tree skiing. Skiing isn't really all that expensive compared to golf and a few other sports. I used to own part of two ski resorts in Big Bear and in the Sierras in California and got two free lift passes each day, that was fun ! Who cares what a ski mountain is called as long as it's a fun mountain and has good snow. Considering the liability factor I'm surprised lift tickets are as cheap as they are.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
It's not so much the name change as the attitude change that has people steamed. The locals supported this mountain during the lean times as well as the good and now we're pretty much being told to take a hike elsewhere, that's what grinds on people.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
I like Blacktail also but it does get a bit boring being so small and all. I like the glitzy ski areas also. Back in the day when I had my Snow Summit/Sierra Summit stock I used to ski between 25 to 41 days each season and I have found that the real hoity toity ski resorts are some of the best and funnest places to ski. Snowbird, Jackson Hole, Sun Valley, Park City etc are fantastic ski areas. I also like the small low key mountains as well. Nobody at the Whitefish Mountain resort has told me to take a hike anywhere ! I'll still ski there as long as I am able to ski, it's been 5 years since I skied and I'm not sure if the old bod can take it anymore. If I do go this winter I'll have to take it real easy and stay off the avalanche chutes and the bump runs ! Prices go up and attitudes change but I'm not going to whine about it, if the snow is good, the weather is good, and I feel like skiing, I have no problem skiing at a snobby ski mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana