U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:45 PM

373 posts, read 1,705,730 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't worry too much about the tire chains. I've never owned a pair and just have a front wheel drive car. But, the sleeping bag in the vehicle is a super good idea..and so is the water. I've always done the sleeping bag thing and have had multiple occasions to use it when I broke down. If you can get the tire chains, great, but if you're not going over mountain passes, just avoid traveling on really snowy days. Tire chains are probably a good idea; I've just never figured them out. I guess my need for them hasn't been too great or I would have caved in and learned how by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:53 AM

13 posts, read 50,131 times
Can anyone suggest winter clothing for a trip to MT in the winter. I am staying at a resort in West Yellowstone and I plan on snow mobiling as well as horse back riding and seeing what is open in Yellowstone other than that we will travel through some other areas such as the Grand Tetons and then go through Wyoming.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:11 AM

17 posts, read 45,027 times
Thumbs up Coats

Anything NorthFace, Patagonia or Columbia would be a solid bet. I would go with a longer coat (down to knees at least) to cover the tops of your legs while horseback riding. If you dont get a long coat, definitely get snow/waterproof/insulated pants. Coats are great, but if your legs are wet and cold, forget about it.

If you can get down-filled, that will be warmest, but you definitely want gore-tex coated or something that is waterproof. Once snow falls on your coat, it will melt. If you have a wet, warm coat, its not warm any more!

Something along these lines- Patagonia Down With It Parka - Women's at REI.com

Old 11-09-2009, 12:49 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,913,019 times
Thumbs up Yes silk and layering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold west View Post
I've been here four years, and I always wear a coat. But layers are the way to go. I always have on silk pant liners and silk undershirt, a turtleneck, another shirt if it's very cold, and flannel lined jeans. Silk is the best and warmest underneath. That way, just about any coat will do. Everyone is right about it not seeming as cold here. I'm cold-natured and I can stand it easily. The weather is one of the draws here along with the view.
Best post on this thread yet. ^
I discovered the virtues of silk back in the day when I owned shares in two ski resorts. While skiing I just wore silk undies and a down powder suit.
Silk undies top to bottom, pants with a light sweater and a waterproof but breathable shell or lined jacket is all I ever needed. Oh silk socks and good gloves with removable liners are good too.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM

239 posts, read 610,488 times
A less expensive alternative may be Duluth Trading Post. They are mail order or internet only so have much less overhead. You can buy items similar to the brand names for 1/3 the cost.

Bob Wards is the best bet locally. They also have the best prices on the internet too.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,816,536 times
My favorite coat is the one I have in my truck all year round!

Seriously though, I like to wear layers during the winter, but I work outside a lot and sometimes actually get too hot when we are out in the backcountry. A favorite of mine is my flight jacket. Lightweight, easy to move in, good in the wind, and very warm when I'm up 200' on a radio tower where the weather is usually more brutal than it is on the ground.. Some coveralls and warm boots are good as long as the boots can breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana