U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:22 PM

22 posts, read 163,379 times

Advertisements

I've never been to the North in winter and am moving there soon. What brand or kind of coat would be a good choice for the cold Montana wind and snow and that would stand up to a lot of wear? Does brand matter at all? I've been to a couple of stores already and they don't seem to have coats here in the south that will stand up to the Montana weather. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 12:34 PM

529 posts, read 1,730,831 times
I think this might suit you nicely:

http://www.bobwards.com/bobwards/servlet/item/features/84288-14 (broken link)

Oh, and in case you might be wondering, Bob Wards is Montana owned and operated.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:06 PM

373 posts, read 1,705,072 times
North Face and Columbia system-type jackets are very popular. The North Face will probably hold up a little better, but it will cost quite a bit more. A system-type (multiple layers) jacket it great for Montana because it's not really cold all the time, nonstop,, and some times it's windy. It's nice to be able to use various parts of your jacket (windbreaker), fleece liner, etc. together or separately depending on the weather. Cabelas sells lots of this type of stuff online.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:24 AM

Cool Thanks!

Thanks very much for the help. I took your advice and looked all of them up. There's a lot of choice out there and a lot of price ranges. But now I have a better place to look than before. Thanks again!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:10 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,537,187 times
Carharts
bib coveralls artic insulation and layers plus a wind layer.
wool pants
make sure things breath

Old 02-06-2007, 08:48 AM

462 posts, read 1,530,428 times
I have hardly worn a coat all winter. Usually just a fleace zip T with either a down vest or fleace vest and I'm good to go. ON the occassional times when the temps dip below 0, I like my Carhartt jacket with quilted lining. Our winters are primarily dry here so it is not hard to dress warmly. It doesn't feel as cold when there is no relative humidity to speak of. 20 degrees in MT is much warmer than 40 might feel in a place like Oregon where the rel. hum. is much higher (or back east where you are from). I don't even wear a coat when it's 20 degrees. Just a vest over my fleace top is plenty. I guess if I was working outside all day that would be a different thing altogether but for going out and running errands it's fine.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:11 AM

Red face No Coat?! Its cold out there!

Somehow, I don't think I'll be able to go without a coat the first couple of months in the winter. It was in the teens and twenties here and I was freezing! Hopefully you're right though, and I'll get used to it.

Someone else had mentioned wool pants as well, rambrush. I guess if one person suggests it, its possibly good advice. If two do, maybe I'd better pay attention, right? Can you buy breathable socks?

Thanks again.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:43 AM

189 posts, read 716,236 times
Where in MT are you moving to VirginiaGirl? At first you'll probably be shocked by the cold while you get acclimated, but your body will soon adjust. But as ladyflyfish mentioned, the lack of humidity in this part of the country makes the cold temps much more bearable.
Once summer gets here and the rest of the country is sweltering with heat and humidity, you'll really enjoy the low humidity and nights that actually cool off! By next winter, you'll be fine and be asking yourself how you survived in Virginia so long!

Old 02-07-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Headed for Browning

I'm moving to Browning. So far, I've heard its real windy there, although not extremely cold. According to weather.com, the humidity has been around 90% lately but I know that probably isn't a constant thing. I am used to high humidity levels (98% in the summer!) and it seems a foreign concept to live without it. I've seen a couple of people complain about the hot summers on the plains but the average summer temps don't seem all that high, especially if you're humidity is low. I've just been worried about having a good coat and good socks. I keep hearing all about breathable layers and clothes that wick moisture away from your skin. Never having needed any of that stuff, it can make a girl worry a little.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:58 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,537,187 times
Smart wool socks are the way to go, I have them from super light runners to heavy boot socks.

Wool is not cheap, but some of the Pendelton shirts I have had for 20 years and still going strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana