U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:02 AM

79 posts, read 302,281 times

Advertisements

What's the going rate for firewood in the Kalispell area? Someone told me $150 but that seem very high, especially with thousands of acres of it growing everywhere you turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM

155 posts, read 446,612 times
That seems bout right. My uncle sold fire wood for $125/cord delivered bout two years ago. So $150 now doesn't seem unreasonable. My advice is if your able go get it on your own, saves time, fun with family, you get out and see nature as well.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,721 posts, read 11,909,194 times
My sons friend cuts and sells firewood and they're getting $165 a cord. You can get a permit and go get your own for free though...

Old 09-09-2008, 09:08 AM

1,305 posts, read 770,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsForMeAndMyHouse View Post
What's the going rate for firewood in the Kalispell area? Someone told me $150 but that seem very high, especially with thousands of acres of it growing everywhere you turn.
The other posters are about right. You aren't paying for the wood, your paying for the cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking, and delivering cost. Wood is basically free.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 AM

79 posts, read 302,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
The other posters are about right. You aren't paying for the wood, your paying for the cutting, hauling, splitting, stacking, and delivering cost. Wood is basically free.
Oh, ok. Now that makes sense.

Here's a city-slicker question. With the right saw and a helper, how long does it usually take to cut and load a cord of wood into a truck?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsForMeAndMyHouse View Post
Oh, ok. Now that makes sense.

Here's a city-slicker question. With the right saw and a helper, how long does it usually take to cut and load a cord of wood into a truck?
Well, couple things. First of all, you can't fit a cord of wood into a truck. A cord of wood is 8 feet x 4 feet x 4 feet. Generally it takes two full size trucks or four compact pickup trucks to haul a cord of wood.

As far your question, I don't know exactly how long it takes but it is a heck of a lot of work. You'll need to find some trees close to the road to fell, then fell them and skid them to your truck, then buck the trees into 18" long rounds and throw them in the truck. Once you get home, you will need to unload the truck, split them into small pieces, and stack them into neat firewood piles. Then you usually haul them into the house in small loads and stack them near the fireplace. Then you have to stoke the fire frequently (usually every 2-3 hours) and then periodically let the fire die out so you can take the ashes out. Finally in the summer you have to go on the roof and clean out the chimney.

Since you are looking a big house, you'll probably need three or four stoves to keep it warm. So you'll probably have to stoke one of the stoves about every hour and haul in one or two loads of wood each day.

Or you can have geothermal installed where all you have to do is turn a knob to make your house warmer. No cleaning or work required.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:51 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,612,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Or you can have geothermal installed where all you have to do is turn a knob to make your house warmer. No cleaning or work required.
Having heated with wood and coal (usually chopped and sometimes dug by myself) ..... I seriously like that idea!!!

And a woodstove on the side, handy for getting rid of deadfalls and scrap wood, and for cooking soup. You can't have a woodstove without a pot of soup permanently affixed to its top.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,721 posts, read 11,909,194 times
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood????

Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 AM

155 posts, read 446,612 times
From my experience, with my uncle cutting the 16-20 in. pieces, me splitting, and my brother loading. We could get 1 cord into the truck, we had side boards on the bed... so yes you can get a cord into a truck w/ modifications . It usually took us any where between 1-2 hours. I was young so it was tough but I didn't find it too be a huge hassle.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboy View Post
From my experience, with my uncle cutting the 16-20 in. pieces, me splitting, and my brother loading. We could get 1 cord into the truck, we had side boards on the bed... so yes you can get a cord into a truck w/ modifications . It usually took us any where between 1-2 hours. I was young so it was tough but I didn't find it too be a huge hassle.
Yes, with side boards you can have the volume to fit a cord of wood in the truck.

The other caution I'd give before a guy goes and throws a cord of wood into a truck is to consider the weight. "Dry" wood weighs somewhere around 1.5 to 2 ton per cord, so you'll want a beefy truck to haul a full cord. This size truck is readily available if you want it, but the most common size truck is the 3/4 ton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana