U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 AM

19 posts, read 71,443 times

Advertisements

Denver has grown too much for my wife and I and we seek a new location once the boys are out on their own (about 4 years from now).

I'm hoping folks could give us some recommendations on some places that meet the following criteria:

-Courtesy – would like to live in an area where folks still say thank you, open doors, say hello when you walk by and in general are courteous.
[SIZE=3]-Outdoors – We are horse people and want to live in an area that is horse friendly and that has plenty of options for rides. We are not into the dressage/ hunter jumper bit but rather into the trail riding aspect of it. Would like some awesome country to explore on our horses. Our hobbies include hiking, fishing, nature watching and simply being away from the city life.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]-Climate – have no issues with Colorado winters but the summers have been too hot for us[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]-Work – both of us are Computer Geeks and although I would love to not make a living sitting at a desk that is what pays the bills for us. Willing to drive up to one hour each way for our commute into work.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]-Traffic – I don’t want to live in a area where folks feel the need to race to the next stop light, jockey back in forth on the freeway to get one car ahead of you, drive like they are headed to the ER with a dying passenger. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I think my above description paints a picture for the type of location we would like to live in. We thought Montana would be a place to start researching but after reading the posts on this site it sounds like Montana is facing the same problems Colorado is.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Any recommendations on where we could find our little piece of paradise described above would be great. Budget will be around 250K. [/SIZE]
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 03:42 PM

239 posts, read 610,035 times
You might want to check out the Helena area. If you are willing to drive an hour to work, that gives numerous options in all directions. You may have job opportunities their too.

Good luck!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 PM

11 posts, read 35,752 times
Hi,

I would suggest that you look into the LaGrande area of Northeast Oregon. Quite small, but a college town surrounded by lovely mountains, affordable, and pretty much overlooked by the hordes. I would move there if I could find a job in my field.

Check it out.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the ideas folks! I will start investigating Helena and LaGrande. Any other ideas for me to check out? - Thanks all

Old 09-11-2008, 01:24 AM

139 posts, read 421,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnmd View Post
Denver has grown too much for my wife and I and we seek a new location once the boys are out on their own (about 4 years from now).

I'm hoping folks could give us some recommendations on some places that meet the following criteria:

-Courtesy – would like to live in an area where folks still say thank you, open doors, say hello when you walk by and in general are courteous.
[SIZE=3]-Outdoors – We are horse people and want to live in an area that is horse friendly and that has plenty of options for rides. We are not into the dressage/ hunter jumper bit but rather into the trail riding aspect of it. Would like some awesome country to explore on our horses. Our hobbies include hiking, fishing, nature watching and simply being away from the city life.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]-Climate – have no issues with Colorado winters but the summers have been too hot for us[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]-Work – both of us are Computer Geeks and although I would love to not make a living sitting at a desk that is what pays the bills for us. Willing to drive up to one hour each way for our commute into work.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]-Traffic – I don’t want to live in a area where folks feel the need to race to the next stop light, jockey back in forth on the freeway to get one car ahead of you, drive like they are headed to the ER with a dying passenger. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I think my above description paints a picture for the type of location we would like to live in. We thought Montana would be a place to start researching but after reading the posts on this site it sounds like Montana is facing the same problems Colorado is.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Any recommendations on where we could find our little piece of paradise described above would be great. Budget will be around 250K. [/SIZE]
-
Sifting through the crazy html code problems with your post, I think I've got the gist of what you're looking for; Horses, Courtesy, Back country exploration, cool summers and long commutes in traffic that doesn't drive you nuts.

Well, the Bitterroot Valley fulfills most of those needs. Summers across Montana can reach into the triple digits. "Freeway" commutes made me chuckle. There isn't much of that here, however the 45 minute commute from Hamilton to Missoula can **** a person off. But, anyway, I think the Bitterroot fits your idea of a good place to live. As far as the names of the towns there; Florence, Stevensville, Victor, Corvallis, Hamilton and Darby....not mentioning the "settlements" there of Sula, Grantsdale, Pinesdale, The Wye, and Carlton.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 AM

JetMech72:

You summed it up nicely for me! Thanks for the list of places to do some research on. Look like we need to take a vacation out to the Missoula area this Winter/Spring and see for ourselves what it has in store. The better half has been to Helena and Bozeman for business when we both worked for Mine Safety Health Administration and she loved it. It should be a fun visit. Thanks again!!

Old 10-09-2008, 02:56 AM

29 posts, read 68,364 times
By far, Whitefish, Montana is more of what you said you are looking for than any of those other places and much more mountainous and green and lake, and ski area...! Also anything near Glacier National Park like especially West Glacier, MT is even more rustic yet not too far from the beaten path the tourists travel so far to see. I was born in the Flathead Valley and I never go to Helena or anywhere East because they just don't compare. I would move to West Glacier or even East Glacier, MT though. Bozeman has a great and expansive feeling beauty. I do like it there.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,377 times
Default Relocation Ideas

I know that you said that you like horses and outdoors. I ride a motorcycle and enjoy Montana's Hwy 200 that is located on the west side of the state (Thompson Falls). You should also look at Hamilton, MT - little further south of Missoula, but still - beautiful.

I am an eastern Washingtonian. Can't say anything bad about the PNW, Idaho or MT. You might want to consider the difficulties of airport travel so you can get to your grandchildren (once they come).

Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 PM

9 posts, read 33,026 times
Lots of places in Montana will meet your criteria, with the possible exception of work. Bozeman has a relatively good number of companies/jobs in the computer/high-tech industry. The traffic is relatively bad for Montana, but doesn't compare to Denver. An hour commute in Montana will take you a long way.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:53 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,899,738 times
I get a Denver tv station on our cable and when I see the news I feel like I'm watching news from LA with all the robberies rapes and murders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana