U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:22 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,873,029 times

Advertisements

I actually understand where you are coming from. I am just thankfull everyday that I do not have anyone in a public school system anymore. What an uphill battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:28 PM

55,428 posts, read 74,283,280 times
hatred well no, but i am surprised that you think you gota go looking for it.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:52 AM

7,538 posts, read 12,550,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Honest, I actually had paragraphs in my reply. Guess I'll have to start using the double space paragraph style the rest of you use. Live and learn.
Yep... the web doesn't do first-line-indents like in a book. Only reliable way to separate paragraphs is with a blank line.

Nonetheless, that was one of the funniest (and most insightful) things I've read in a while

=======

Two good quotes from Booker T. Washington's autobiography Up From Slavery (first published in 1901):

"I will let no man drag me down so low as to make me hate him."

"There is another class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs -- partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs."

Old 11-29-2009, 07:33 AM

299 posts, read 484,889 times
Thanks for the kind words, Reziac. And thanks for the quotes. I love great quotes, especially when they come from deliciously unexpected places. And there are alot of them out there. It's humbling how there are so many people out there who can take the same thoughts and feelings we have inside ourselves, and express them better, and often simpler, than we can ourselves. And more often than not, the person was from a time gone by. 50 years, 100 years, even more than 1000 years ago. And the underlying theme is that there are really no "new" problems. Just different times. I don't know why, but I find that truly amazing. I have a favorite quote of my own I'd like to add. I'll look it up so I get it correct and put it in another post.

tiberius

Old 11-29-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Quote of the day.... read and remember

Here's one of my favorite quotes. It is by Dean Alfange, a well known, and respected, liberal thinker and leader from a few years ago. He died in 1989. Oh my, how their party has changed. Many of you have probably read this somewhere in the past:

" I do not choose to be a common man. I have the right to be uncommon. I seek to develop whatever talents God gave me -- not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen,
humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk;
to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale
calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before an earthly master nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud, and unafraid; to think and act myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations, and to face the world boldly and say -- 'This, with God's help, I have done.' All this is what it means to be an American."

You can read that a hundred times and it will STILL send a shiver down your back, put a tear in your eye, and make that small ember in your heart glow. And you HAVE to ask yourself .... WHAT have we done to ourselves. Citizenship in America has become such a cheap comodity. People in other countries value it highly, because it will get them things.
But once they are here, most of them have no real respect for it, or for us. Everything we have, that they want, is OWED to them. And most Americans respect and value it even less, ... if they give it ANY thought at all.

I know that, in just the few posts I've made, I must come across as an angry and bitter man. Well, I guess I am. And not without cause. But I'm not in the habit of voicing it. So,
when I get a little carried away, and off subject, just accept it as the rantings of a frustrated American man. An American who will no longer accept responsibility for all the pain and suffering and hatred in the whole world. I will neither submit to being told to correct all those ills by throwing what little money I have into the wind, nor will I accepting the rest of the world to come live in my house, while enduring their neverending insults, disdain, and disrespect.

tiberius

Old 12-04-2009, 12:19 PM

218 posts, read 506,863 times
It is amazing that this race stuff starts up in almost every state's forum. I agree with one of the first posters on the thread. If you are looking for racism, you'll find it. It also comes in every race too. Just because MT doesn't have a lot of minorities, so? If one of the biggest things in life to you is to live somewhere there are proportions of each and every minority, New York City is probably more your cup of tea. Montana doesn't have to change to be what everybody who moves there wants it to be. I appreciate their standing up (like some other states have failed to do) and saying if you don't like the state, why move there? Go Montana. Stick to your guns. There are all kinds of diversity. I find it interesting that those who pick on certain parts of the country (like the south) for the "lack of diversity" are perfectly comfortable in a place like S.Francisco where there is certainly a lack of diversity! It all depends on what kind of diversity you are talking about. Its almost as if a place is truly diverse as long as its YOUR cup of tea.
Anyway, sermon over. I feel better now. (By the way, I'm not from Montana but have spent time there and adore it.)

Old 12-04-2009, 02:14 PM

218 posts, read 506,863 times
By the way, what an excellent quote from Booker T. Washington. Are you listening, Hollywood? I have thought for years that he is absolutely a hero who should have a move made about his life.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:18 PM

7,538 posts, read 12,550,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXknitter View Post
By the way, what an excellent quote from Booker T. Washington. Are you listening, Hollywood? I have thought for years that he is absolutely a hero who should have a move made about his life.
If it could be done in the spirit in which he wrote, yes... if it were done, as is much more likely, exactly contrary to his spirit... no

The man really had his act together, tho

Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 PM

I read a post in the "racism in nw" thread that made me want to add a post.. But the subject has become so universal that I decided to post in this thread because of the greater readership.. I hope I'm not breaking any protocols..

Txknitter mentioned how the racism topic seems to show up in threads in every state.. How true that is..It's a subject that never seems to die down, or even seem like it ever will.. Why is that.. Is it a subject that just won't die...or that some just won't LET die..

I believe that a major problem in any discussion of racism, and in any approach to dealing with racism, is that we all seem to be talking different languages.. When anyone says "racism".... exactly what does he/she mean? There seems to be more, FAR MORE, than one definition for "racism".. And what definitions there ARE seem to be constantly evolving..
And until we come to some type of definition we can all agree with, there can be no REAL discussion of the subject, much less any real addressing of the issue..

You can talk to hundreds of different people, from all walks of life, and you will get almost as many different ideas on the subject.. What follows is MY reading of the situation...

I believe in the "beginning" racism meant that one person felt that he was inherently superior than another person simply because of the color of his skin..And that, conversly, one person was inherently inferior than another person for the same reason.. I also believe that the number of people who believe that today is so small as to be inconsequental.. But, as we all know, there are still millions of people, OF ALL COLORS, who are uncomfortable with, dislike, and even hate, people based on skin color.. So WHAT'S going on..

Once again ... in the "beginning", hating someone simply because of the color of their skin, was not only foolish, but also had the secondary effect of making a victim of "racism" bear no responsibility for the situation because a person has no control over his heritage, or the color of his skin.. Over the ensuing years, however, there's been a major, and ever evolving, change......

I believe that NOW, when one person hates, or, as is far more common, is uncomfortable with, a person of another color, it's not because of the skin color itself, but what the skin color represents... In my opinion, "racism" has evolved into a matter of culture and behavior, as opposed to purely a matter of skin color .. The black population has evolved their own distinctive culture, which the vast majority of them willingly, and openly, embrace.. It involves language, music, interpersonal relationships,.. attitudes toward women, family, children, ( to include the fathering of, and giving birth to, and being responsible for children ), civic duty, on what they are "owed" by the government, and what they are "owed" by the rest of the population, on getting an education .. and who should pay for it, and many more things than I really care to sit here and list.... The same situation exists in the hispanic population.. AND in an ever growing segment of the white population.. And this was ALLOWED to happen, thanks to lawyers and judges, who managed to find an endless list of "rights" in that poor little constitution, and politicians who were more than willing to sell out the future of this country, and all it's citizens, for votes............... And when any of these subcultures, or any of their behaviors, isn't automatically, and unquestioningly, accepted, they have been "wronged". And if the subculture behavior should happen to clash with any accepted norm, or even law, then that norm, and many times that law, is branded "racist", and MUST be changed to accommodate the minority.. This situation, on the surface, seems outrageous.. How can the general public think this is right, and accept,.. even support,... this happening.. Well, unfortunately, perception is reality.. And the media controls not only what we know, and how it is explained to us, but also the language used..
and the perception they put in our minds, becomes our reality.. Especially if you aren't in the habit of thinking for yourself.. Sad, but true..

If you react to a member of a subculture according to what you know of the behavior of the majority of the other members of his culture ... the blame doesn't go to the behavior of the others in his culture, who have put forward the example, the blame goes to you, because you're a "racist".. ALTHOUGH, if he does the same to you, he ISN'T a "racist".. He's just making a natural, and deserved, connection..

If you get to know the minority person, and because of his actual BEHAVIOR, decide you don't like him, and dont want to associate with him ... you're still a "racist".

Say there's a town in Montana that's 97% white, as is likely the case with most of them.. And this town has a long history of very low crime.. Then there's a rapid influx of hispanics..
Suddenly there a sharp rise in the crime rate.. Even though its logical, and even if its PROVEN, if the town makes a connection between the hispanics and the rise in crime ... the town is "racist".. In fact, the rise in crime is also THEIR FAULT, because the hispanics, legal or not, weren't accepted and embraced by the townspeople..

Can a minority person be a "racist".. In reality, yes, of course.. But officially, NO.. Apparently, according to the media, and university system, and, of course, the minorities themselves, you can't be a "racist" if the subculture you belong to isn't in power..and since they are "powerless" victims, they bear no responsibility in the situation, and have no responsibility in resolving it.. a member of a subculture can feel anything, say anything, and pretty much do anything he wants when it comes to the culture in power, and its not only not "racist", its accepted, its understandable, and its even usually applauded..

The term "racism" long ago stopped describing actual racial feelings, feelings about skin color... It has evolved into a political term..a political WEAPON.. a weapon of choice of all subcultural groups.. a weapon the "dominate" culture obligingly holds to its own head.... and gladly pulls the trigger..

As long as the label .. "RACISM" .. is ALLOWED to continue to be used, and as long as "RACISM" is ALLOWED to continue to be accepted to mean a racial motive as opposed to BEHAVIORAL .. the cries, the mantra, of "racism" will continue to live on and continue to be used to advance subcultural agendas.......

Unless the subcultures decide to be responsible for themselves and their own behavior.. and the media decides to stop manipulating us.. and the universities decide to stop culturally engineering us..and the court system decides to stop legislating from the bench.. and the dominate culture finally stops hating itself and starts using some common sense ( and maybe GROWS A PAIR ). .......... sigh. ..............But we all know that ain't gonna happen.

In america ( the small a was intentional ) ......... The tail wags the dog.

tiberius

Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 PM

216 posts, read 578,646 times
AWESOME Tiberius, that was a wonderful and absolutely 100% TRUE thing you posted there. Perhaps you should send it to the editorial section of the local paper because I believe you should get that baby published. Well done, really!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana