Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmem View Post
I do know a couple, just married, who rented a house in the Mission Valley. The wife (caucasian) did all the looking and made the arrangements, but when the owner found out hubby was Indian he made excuses about how the house wasn't ready and wouldn't be for some time. An untruth, as the house was quickly rented-to someone else..
Absolutely unacceptable IMO! Unfortunately there are those people out there and it's not just a MT thing that's for sure.

Quote:
And then, there's the whole Bison Range mess where I'd say race comes in to some extent
On BOTH sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:39 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,669,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Since I'm part Welsh, I think you should all be forced to take courses on how the Norman invaders betrayed and murdered the last kings of Wales So there.

Oh yeah, both were "white" peoples. Now what?

General history to touch on all the major population groups, yeah -- it's good to know that stuff, and a certain amount of Indian history is part of American history, which every American should learn something about. More specialized history courses for those interested in a specific people or groups of people, including a course specifically about Indian history -- that should be up to the individual's choice, or left to a specific curriculum.

YouTube - Welsh National Anthem

For you Rez, it is a language that never fails to make me squint my eyes and reach for the Tolkien.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,151,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post

YouTube - Welsh National Anthem

For you Rez, it is a language that never fails to make me squint my eyes and reach for the Tolkien.
HAHAAH!!!! Best description I've ever heard

Also described as "sounds like the speaker is gargling with marbles"

If I had a couple million bucks to pay the back taxes, I could retire to that Welsh castle that I'm a distant heir to (I forget the castle's name, but turns the guy who did my genealogy is a rival heir, albeit one generation further removed )

Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,669,648 times
We bow to your lineage. My ancestor's unfortunalty arrived in the colony of Georgia by way of debtors' prison.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:36 AM

15 posts, read 36,605 times
Default Racism in Montana

Just put Montana Racism in your search(any one doesn't matter) 195,000 items come up!! I read a good number of them and it doesn't look good!! The whites on this blog most likely don't see it or aren't affected(I am from Ct), but if you are black , hispanic,asiatic, or especially Native American, it appears you might want to be very careful!! This is amongst the most racist states in the US!! I'm not saying don't go there, because I think that is seriously what they need! A huge infusion of peoples of other races to break down the walls that exist. A good number or whistleblowers would not hurt either!!! I was reading about the kids school at Wolf Point, supposed to be for Native American kids, yet only one board member s Native Aerican, Do you think that is right? And they have padded cells in the school for punishing kids!! What does that say???? They put the kids who misbehave on Ritalin!! That should be up to the parents!! Not the School!! My friend James Main Jr. was arrested up therefor connection to a murder in a party he was at. He has been detained in Hill County for more than TWO YEARS awaiting Trial!!! His trial has come, and I'm trying to find out how many jurors are Native American(he is NA and should have a jury "of his peers" ). They accused him before having sufficient evidence, and another Native American was already found guilty. They have twisted their words throughout the investigation. They said James was racist becuse he called the deceased(a white man, but who was once married to a Native American and had 2 half white/halfIndian kids, "Pilgrim" , Since when is the word "Pilgrim" racist??? (John Wayne used the term in an affectionate way,and James does an imitation of John Wayne. A woman involved(Indian) had not seen the Wayne movies but admitted he used it in an affectionate way. He has maintained his innocence in the whole two plus yrs. But he is still there!!! His trial will be going on over the next few weeks. James is a good guy, I know him from CT when he lived here. He isn't at all the ogre they are portraying in MT. Check out his story at Censored News. Put in James Main Jr. Montana is a backwater and it's time they grew up!! They are only hurting themselves!!! Anyone can contribute to his legal fund and that is also true of all Native Americans (the arrest rate is 33% of Indians are in Jails in Montana, man of whom don't even get to see a lawyer!! This is not fair!!) I am white from Ct, I don't know anyone there but James, so I have no axe to grind, but as an outsider I can see what whites in Montana are ignoring. There is a serious race problem there!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora616 View Post
Just put Montana Racism in your search(any one doesn't matter) 195,000 items come up!! I read a good number of them and it doesn't look good!! The whites on this blog most likely don't see it or aren't affected(I am from Ct), but if you are black , hispanic,asiatic, or especially Native American, it appears you might want to be very careful!! This is amongst the most racist states in the US!! I'm not saying don't go there, because I think that is seriously what they need! A huge infusion of peoples of other races to break down the walls that exist. A good number or whistleblowers would not hurt either!!! I was reading about the kids school at Wolf Point, supposed to be for Native American kids, yet only one board member s Native Aerican, Do you think that is right? And they have padded cells in the school for punishing kids!! What does that say???? They put the kids who misbehave on Ritalin!! That should be up to the parents!! Not the School!! My friend James Main Jr. was arrested up therefor connection to a murder in a party he was at. He has been detained in Hill County for more than TWO YEARS awaiting Trial!!! His trial has come, and I'm trying to find out how many jurors are Native American(he is NA and should have a jury "of his peers" ). They accused him before having sufficient evidence, and another Native American was already found guilty. They have twisted their words throughout the investigation. They said James was racist becuse he called the deceased(a white man, but who was once married to a Native American and had 2 half white/halfIndian kids, "Pilgrim" , Since when is the word "Pilgrim" racist??? (John Wayne used the term in an affectionate way,and James does an imitation of John Wayne. A woman involved(Indian) had not seen the Wayne movies but admitted he used it in an affectionate way. He has maintained his innocence in the whole two plus yrs. But he is still there!!! His trial will be going on over the next few weeks. James is a good guy, I know him from CT when he lived here. He isn't at all the ogre they are portraying in MT. Check out his story at Censored News. Put in James Main Jr. Montana is a backwater and it's time they grew up!! They are only hurting themselves!!! Anyone can contribute to his legal fund and that is also true of all Native Americans (the arrest rate is 33% of Indians are in Jails in Montana, man of whom don't even get to see a lawyer!! This is not fair!!) I am white from Ct, I don't know anyone there but James, so I have no axe to grind, but as an outsider I can see what whites in Montana are ignoring. There is a serious race problem there!!!
Soooo, you don't live here nor have you ever been here but you're telling people about this place JUST from what you've read on the 'net and what some guy supposedly told you? To top that you're soliciting for money to some guy's supposed defense fund?
We may be backwards in some ways, we may be slow in others but we're not stupid and can usually spot a scam or troll at 1000 yards.
I'll let y'all decide where this one falls...

Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Soooo, you don't live here nor have you ever been here but you're telling people about this place JUST from what you've read on the 'net and what some guy supposedly told you? To top that you're soliciting for money to some guy's supposed defense fund?
We may be backwards in some ways, we may be slow in others but we're not stupid and can usually spot a scam or troll at 1000 yards.
I'll let y'all decide where this one falls...
I had similar thoughts... get everyone in a dither, then provide a paypal link. Gee, I wonder who gets to keep the money??

Since I'm here, I looked up some news items on the case... there are plenty out there. Whatever the facts, I get the impression this James Main Jr. fellow is not entirely blameless:

Havre Daily News -- this one has a lot of detail about the incident.
"Snow testified that a scuffle occurred after Main and Kvelstad began arguing about the European settlement of the New World, including Main putting his arm around Kvelstad’s neck and choking him until he blacked out."

Yeah, this Main fellow sounds innocent as a newborn babe...

Another article certainly paints him that way... but I also notice this site's real mission seems to be to sell books to and get donations from every fringe movement on the planet.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:43 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I had similar thoughts... get everyone in a dither, then provide a paypal link. Gee, I wonder who gets to keep the money??

Since I'm here, I looked up some news items on the case... there are plenty out there. Whatever the facts, I get the impression this James Main Jr. fellow is not entirely blameless:

Havre Daily News -- this one has a lot of detail about the incident.
"Snow testified that a scuffle occurred after Main and Kvelstad began arguing about the European settlement of the New World, including Main putting his arm around Kvelstad’s neck and choking him until he blacked out."

Yeah, this Main fellow sounds innocent as a newborn babe...

Another article certainly paints him that way... but I also notice this site's real mission seems to be to sell books to and get donations from every fringe movement on the planet.

soooo reziac, what do you think of the leonard peltier case?
just curious

Old 02-09-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
soooo reziac, what do you think of the leonard peltier case? just curious
I don't think of it at all, because I don't remember anything about it... [goes off, reads Wikipedia summary] ...but from that quick perusal, I'd say chances are pretty good he's responsible for the murders he was convicted of. As to whether proper trial procedures were followed, there's not enough info there to judge, but that has no bearing on whether or not he actually did the deed.

You can get railroaded AND be guilty, ya know... they're not mutually exclusive conditions.

As I am a member of a class that is "guilty until proven innocent" and can be convicted on hearsay or outright lies, I completely understand what it is to be screwed over by the justice system, and I agree that a lot of Indians got keelhauled in the past. But that doesn't make every Indian innocent of every crime for all time, either.

A story told by an insurance broker (whom I know very well) ca. 1980, about why his company would not sell life insurance on the reservation south of Billings: He was in a bar in Hardin with one of his younger agents, and pointed out how one fellow had just given another guy five bucks to kill a third person (also present in the bar; all three were Indians). Next morning, that 3rd person was dead as a doornail. -- You gotta wonder why some Indians have so little respect for their OWN people... if you don't respect yourself, no one else will either.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:51 AM

989 posts, read 3,524,644 times
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are great with milk. I like the peanut butter with crunchy nuts sometimes but normally I just go with the creamy type. Grape jelly is by far the best.

Hey guys, I just got here, what are you all talking about??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana