Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:05 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsmom View Post
My personal belief is this.
Racial restoration is like personal restoration. At some point, you have to forgive and move forward.
Yes there needs to be restitution, but that will never restore anyone. Say for instance a man is kil-
ed. His widow and children recieve a large sum from his insurance company and his murderer is exe-
cuted. There has been financial restitution and justice both. Niether one of these will help this wo-
man move on. Yes there has been a great wrong, but is up to her to make the choice to move on.
You can blame the murderer for what he did but you cant blame him for how someone chooses to
respond to his wrong.
so native people should just "move on" and forget what was done to us and continues to be done to us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 11:06 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora616 View Post
I agree, ignorance is bliss! I think it should be required reading in all school, the true history of Native Americans!! It is important to hear both sides of the story and there are two. Not to acknowledge the devastation on Native Americans is wrong. To pretend whites were the first people here is this country is plain ignorance. Native Americans were here at least 10 to 14,000 years!! Whites were hardly the first!! And this country was in far better condition , the people, the animals, the trees, the air we breath and the water were all healthy . We have abused The Native Americans, abused the animals, killed millions of both. It is a holocaust that should never be forgotten! And yet Native Americans stood by our sides in almost every war, fighting for freedom in this country. Whites came here to get away from persecution in England and Europe, yet we have persecuted Native Americans, nearly to extinction. It is a terrible thing and a long standing crime of the worst kind. I cannot think where more people and animals were killed or more land destroyed over a period of hundreds of years. We are the "bad guys" and it's time we admitted and made reparations.Canada, New Zealand and Australia are equally liable for misdeeds to indigenous peoples. The time has come to make amends, beginning with respect and improving the health, welfare and lives of these people. Taking Indian kids away from their homes and parents was and is wrong. Forcing them off their land and into reservations is wrong, forcing them to forget their languages, religions and history is wrong ,forcing them to learn our religions, our languages, our history is wrong. Taking and destroying their sacred lands, their homelands, their homes is wrong! All of that must stop. They should have full sovereignity on their reservations.We have not kept our promises to them. They deserve reparations.Chief Joseph, said he hoped for a future where we could all get along. I look forward to that day too. To paraphrase him, we are all brothers and sisters on this planet,we should not do harm to our family. We must learn to get along and respect each other, no matter how different we are . We are all people of this earth.
co-sign

Old 02-22-2009, 01:52 PM

77 posts, read 238,677 times
Who said any thing about forgetting??? Forgiveness is a vehicle to move out of a situation inspite
of the current or (past) situation. That gives You the power not them. I am presuming you desire
to be a role model. What a better way than to teach younger people how to move beyond their hurts. Dont misunderstand. Forgiveness is not forgetting. Forgiveness is for you, not the other
person.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
native people try to help themselves there are some who are drunks and there are some who have left that behind and made something of themselves or are trying however they are oppressed we are help back and discriminated against as much as we were 200 yrs ago. you dont see it cause your not native, walk in our shoes and you would see.you were homeless that is wonderful you were able to help yourself, but if you would have been native, you wouldnt have had the same opportunity. race has everything to do with it. i know its happened to me and to much of my family.
Sounds like more excuses than anything else. Explain how every other people who come here and don't even speak english get by and even do very well despite the predjudice thrown at them daily. Heck when I lived in San Jose we were invaded by Vietnamese and Cambodians who didn't (and still don't) speak much english and they own business's,homes and many are well to-do how did they do that in an oppressive society? They didn't blame anyone for their circumstances and did what it took to get ahead realizing what oppertunities were out there.
The only way Indians (or any others for that matter) will get ahead is to leave the past in THE PAST and look ahead to the future, work hard and quit looking for someone to give it to them.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:39 PM

989 posts, read 3,524,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Explain how every other people who come here and don't even speak english get by and even do very well despite the predjudice thrown at them daily.
Those who come here and put their heads down and work will get ahead. Those who would rather cry about social injustice go nowhere. But its easier to make excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The only way Indians (or any others for that matter) will get ahead is to leave the past in THE PAST and look ahead to the future...
I have an enormous respect for native people, but very little for those who complain about the lands being taken from them.
Any Indian who complains about the way the Washeeta (white man) came in and took the land from them needs to go back and study their history. The Indians were not one big happy family. The various tribes and groups fought, raped, stole, and kidnapped from one another from the time they migrated into this land from the North. Slavery was also very common.
The stronger groups would move in an take the land by force from those who were weaker. This is the source of the tension that still remains between the Sioux and the Crow even today.
My point is, the Indians were treated better by the Washeeta (whites) than those that they took the land from.
It is the natural progression of things. The West is now being taken back by the Mexicans. They are not doing it with guns and cannons, they are doing it with guilt and sheer numbers.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
... walk in our shoes and you would see....

... i know its happened to me and to much of my family.
You're right, you have a different and more personal perspective on this than most of us. I like to think of myself as a pretty good historian and very open minded person, but I have never been in your shoes. I learn from a book, you learn from everyday life. Your point is well taken.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:22 AM

214 posts, read 601,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Those who come here and put their heads down and work will get ahead. Those who would rather cry about social injustice go nowhere. But its easier to make excuses.

I have an enormous respect for native people, but very little for those who complain about the lands being taken from them.
Any Indian who complains about the way the Washeeta (white man) came in and took the land from them needs to go back and study their history. The Indians were not one big happy family. The various tribes and groups fought, raped, stole, and kidnapped from one another from the time they migrated into this land from the North. Slavery was also very common.
The stronger groups would move in an take the land by force from those who were weaker. This is the source of the tension that still remains between the Sioux and the Crow even today.
My point is, the Indians were treated better by the Washeeta (whites) than those that they took the land from.
It is the natural progression of things. The West is now being taken back by the Mexicans. They are not doing it with guns and cannons, they are doing it with guilt and sheer numbers.
Exactly. Last time I was in Arizona I saw more Mexican flags on street corners than American. After talking to a few of them they told me us whites should feel guilty how we took their land away from them.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
Please, enough already!!!! Injustice? I think not. I have had it up to my eyeballs with minorities screaming injustice. I refuse to pay for something my forefathers did. Thats like telling my future great grandchildren they can pay my neighbors future great grandchildrens house payment because he was a minority. Since the election, racism is at an all time high. Can you guess why? Because the minorities are crying racism, not white people. Hell, a highly noted cartoonist cannot even draw a cartoon with a headlining animal in it without worrying about minorities crying racism. What's next? Our children's school books will have to be burned and re-written without pictures of chimps? Has anyone noticed the increase in African-American commercials? America is afraid of racism and the consequences faced with it. Keep it up and the white folks will have the right to scream and cry racism in no time at all. If ALL of America regardless of color background religion what have you will stop their own acts of racism, this country would be alot more pleasant to live in. This is America, if you move here from another country, learn to live by American laws, speak the language, teach your children to do the same and you are welcome. Native Americans? I have the utmost respect for you, your culture, history and teachings. But that will disappear if racism continues to be an issue. I'm polish with ancestors who faced the horrors of Aushwitz. Yes it was inhumane the treatment they went through, yes the Nazis are to blame. But do I at this moment EXPECT payment of some sort? No. What happened was a terrible block of history that cannot be changed by any amount of money/payment. My only consolation is that our present and future citizens learn from this tradegy that occured just as African Americans, Native Americans, Latinos ect...should learn. I realize not all minorities act like the rest of America owes them a debt. I'm just saying that those who do, ruin it for every single minority like them. Stop the whining crying you owe us for all the injustice we endured and get on with your life and stop living in the past. Stop looking for reasons to cry racism.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,401 times
crying about racism in the past doesn't matter if it doesn't apply today. racism still applies today in people's personal lives but not in the law.

you will have to deal with "illegal" things that are hidden. when it comes to prejudice, people can go around the issue. it's hard to prove racism that results in unfair treatment such as employment etc.

i don't care if people do not like me but it matters when their prejudice is used against me. many people will do this. it's just the unfortunate side of bad in whatever including people. not all will be ethical.

you just have to find a place or niche for you while still making problems known, otherwise things do not change. so there is a twofold phenomenon, people still need to voice concerns and real issues to keep social consciousness straight and above-board as much as possible but also you have to try to take proactive measures if it's possible.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Please, enough already!!!! Injustice? I think not. I have had it up to my eyeballs with minorities screaming injustice. I refuse to pay for something my forefathers did. Thats like telling my future great grandchildren they can pay my neighbors future great grandchildrens house payment because he was a minority. Since the election, racism is at an all time high. Can you guess why? Because the minorities are crying racism, not white people. Hell, a highly noted cartoonist cannot even draw a cartoon with a headlining animal in it without worrying about minorities crying racism. What's next? Our children's school books will have to be burned and re-written without pictures of chimps? Has anyone noticed the increase in African-American commercials? America is afraid of racism and the consequences faced with it. Keep it up and the white folks will have the right to scream and cry racism in no time at all. If ALL of America regardless of color background religion what have you will stop their own acts of racism, this country would be alot more pleasant to live in. This is America, if you move here from another country, learn to live by American laws, speak the language, teach your children to do the same and you are welcome. Native Americans? I have the utmost respect for you, your culture, history and teachings. But that will disappear if racism continues to be an issue. I'm polish with ancestors who faced the horrors of Aushwitz. Yes it was inhumane the treatment they went through, yes the Nazis are to blame. But do I at this moment EXPECT payment of some sort? No. What happened was a terrible block of history that cannot be changed by any amount of money/payment. My only consolation is that our present and future citizens learn from this tradegy that occured just as African Americans, Native Americans, Latinos ect...should learn. I realize not all minorities act like the rest of America owes them a debt. I'm just saying that those who do, ruin it for every single minority like them. Stop the whining crying you owe us for all the injustice we endured and get on with your life and stop living in the past. Stop looking for reasons to cry racism.
Very well said, and yes I have noticed all the blacks on TV lately. All the blacks on TV has more to do with 'black mail' than anything else. If the companies who pay the ad agencies don't use blacks to advertise their products they stand the chance of being black balled. If a black activist gets a company black balled the company loses millions of dollars and can even be driven out of business by these people who cry racial injustice. Some are even made to pay "ransoms" to these activist for protection against these racist claims. If you don't believe it do some research. This is a big dark secret that few have dared speak about. Its like the McCarthy stuff back in the 1940's, speak out against them and they will destroy you. There's not a company, media distributor, political group or anyone who could avoid the wrath of these "activist". All the activists have to do is boycott or even just have a few talking heads go on Larry King or one of the outlets and throw out a few allegations of racial injustice. Allegations are all thats needed in this day and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana