Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2007, 01:20 PM

592 posts, read 2,809,468 times

Advertisements

Okay, I gotta know. My lovely wife and I are considering moving and are looking pretty hard at a place in rural N.E. MT. I was speaking to the owner last night and when it got to the subject of the septic system, he told me he's just got a perforated pipe embedded in rock with an outlet into the ditch. I asked if it was considered a legal system and he said he didn't know but couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't be. Living in MN, the gov't regulates EVERYTHING about construction and I just find it hard to believe it is legal. Anyone know??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 01:28 PM

51 posts, read 230,847 times
Default septic

I don't know but if you are looking in Valley County --- call 406-228-6264 and talk to the county sanitarian and he can tell you--- or give you info on other county sanitarian's telephone numbers. Hope that helps!

Old 02-08-2007, 02:13 PM

777 posts, read 3,196,962 times
Sounds like just a leach line. I would think that it should have a tank, and then a perforated leach line coming out of the tank, for liquids. I'm not in construction, soI don't know exactly how those systems work.
We're spoiled here, being on public sewer system...of course we pay for that priveledge too.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:21 PM

Thanks John, I have a real good idea how they work, I've just never heard of this type of system, then again, here in MN everything is pretty much illegal anyway. I'm just curious if anyone that lived there had an idea if it was a legal system or not. I considered calling the county (thanks cowgirl) where this place is, but it is pretty rural and I don't want to get the guy in trouble if the person I talk to puts two and two together. The fella selling it seemed to think it was a pretty common thing (his type of system) throughout the state and I was hoping to find someone with some working knowledge of system requirements. Again, the last thing I want to do is get the county involved and get the owner/seller in hot water.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:00 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,395 times
Default septic systems

When we built our last home in MT in 2003 we had to have a septic tank and the liquid ran out into a leach field (perforated pipe). At that time we had to have a permit and a "perc" test to determine how much leachfield we had to have. I do know that some older septic systems were grandfathered in when permits became mandatory but I don't think that "running into the ditch" would be legal anywhere.

If you like the property and do want to purchase it just factor in the cost of a septic system. We just paid about $3500 here in WY for one. Check with local excavators, etc. on the cost there.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:23 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,340 times
I wouldn't worry about it.

The state has gotten pretty strict about grey water over the recent years.
Inspections have to occur, and systems are supposed to be engineered these days, by state law.

Chances are good that the old boy has a simple tank and drainfield system...

North of Great Falls, all of the systems have to be mound systems because of all of the clay and poor drainage. Most other areas of the state perc well however, and simple tank and leach line is perfectly legal.

So, as I said.... I wouldn't worry about it.

>>> ...."Leach lines are trenches that are filled with washed rock/gravel to flow level. Perforated pipe lays on top of the rock at a level grade. More rock is added to cover the pipe, and paper or other approved filter material is used to keep soil from filtering down into the rock. The paper does deteriorate, but by the time it does the soil is compacted enough to prevent it from dropping into the rock. Perforated leach lines are usually the first choice for a standard individual sewage disposal system design. The pipes of an approved material and are pre-drilled to allow the effluent to trickle through the gravel for treatment. The lines are also shallow enough (12" to grade) for some aerobic bacteria breakdown and some evapo-transpiration.

The area of an individual sewage disposal system's disposal field is sized based on the proposed sewage flow and the soil's percolation rate.
Individual sewage disposal systems are designed to accommodate a sewage flow of 350 gallons per day plus 150 gallons for each additional bedroom. A standard leach line is considered to be three (3) feet wide and three (3) feet deep with a length as required. A non-standard leach line is wider, narrower, and/or deeper than three (3) feet with a length as required......"
<<<

Old 02-08-2007, 05:25 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,965 times
A lot of places they get away with just burying a perforated 55 gal drum. Yes its not legal kosher etc.

We had the health septic gal come out of Anaconda deer lodge county. She drove the 8 + miles off the paved road to get to our place. She measured the distance from the creek and the wetlands and gave us the location where a septic could go and the depth.

Same goes with Electric inspector was only like 1 guy to inspect the state and he could not inspect every building. some went un checked because of it.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys and girls...I'm not necessarily worried about it, I just don't want a potential deal getting "flushed" at the last minute. Here in MN, one must have a certificate of compliance issued by the county (unless the system is less than 5 years old) before a sale can close and I didn't know if MT had that type of regulatory system. Actually, I was hoping they didn't, all the Gov't regulation is a primary reason my wife and I are considering a move. All the comments are appreciated! Believe it or not, here in MN a guy has to get a permit to put in a driveway...that should give you some idea why I'm so inquisitive.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:39 AM

777 posts, read 3,196,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Believe it or not, here in MN a guy has to get a permit to put in a driveway...that should give you some idea why I'm so inquisitive.
Same here. I think "technically" any improvement that costs more than $500 requies a permit and inspection here. Of course I'm not doing that, since I am doing my own work

Old 02-14-2007, 07:24 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,157,944 times
It's probably a 55 gallon drum with a leech line. Those used to be pretty common for quick replacements to the venerable outhouse. Chances are it won't be a problem, but at worst you might wind up having to put in a new septic system -- not really a dealbreaker if the rest of the place is what you want.

I lived two places in MT that only had an outhouse, and our cabin just outside of Glacier Park still only has an outhouse. They were legal (might still be in places, I don't know for sure) when it was built, and at this late date is evidently grandfathered -- as when we juggled its ownership a few years ago, the state and county had nothing to say about it.

~REZ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana