U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 AM

42 posts, read 110,560 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about taking a position in Hamilton, any take son the place, i've looked at the property already little high for my income but God will provide. Just looking for a little detail about the place thats all, any and all will be apreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 02:13 PM

163 posts, read 500,623 times
My humble opinion. The whole Bitterroot Valley is a little slice of heaven. Property prices will always go up there. It is surrounded on three sides by National Forest and Wilderness Area on the east and the west.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 PM

139 posts, read 420,606 times
What can I say about Hamilton, the town I called home all through my school years? I can tell you a lot about the history, the natural disasters that have affected the area; floods, earthquakes, fires and volcanic ash (all while I was living there). Present day Hamilton, however, is a bit of an enigma for me. I haven't lived there since 1999. The friends that I've left behind all tell me I did a smart thing by moving out and not coming back. There is tremendous growth in population and home prices, but little in the way of jobs. It has become, mostly, a retirement community, although a kindergarten enrollment crisis has arisen there within the last year....too many kids not enough classrooms. The two industries that can support a new family to the area, are Bio-science at the two major Laboritories or Nursing at the local, rapidly expanding, hospital. Agriculture was once a huge part of the economy, but increasing land values tantilized local farmers and ranchers into selling and dividing up their properties. Tourism is still pretty big there. There is an obscure comedy flick called "Disorganized Crime" that was filmed in and around Hamilton that provides all the breathtaking views you'll need to see to fall in love with the place. As a matter of fact the largest increase in population started shortly after the film was released in '89. There are some extremely wealthy people living there and even a few celebrities. The extremely wealthy usually don't show their faces in public places, they'd rather stay at the private country club east of town,,,,convieniantly located near the small airport where they can store their Citation Xs and such. Among the celebrities are Christopher Lloyd and Huey Lewis....both of whom have become great members of the Bitterroot Valley community. Hank Williams Jr. may or may not live there anymore, he lived there when I was growing up there (not a great asset to the community....sorry Bocephus Fans) The late Hoyt Axton used to call the Bitterroot his home.

As for the most important part about Hamilton and the Bitterroot Valley....the Outdoors. There are more places to access rivers, streams, high mountain meadows, cliffs, canyons, wilderness...any thing you can think of, then any concentrated area in Montana.

Links:
Hamilton City Politics
Photos of Hamilton
Hamilton Travel Guide with cool links.
Wikipedia entry for Hamilton, Montana This is good for getting the history of the town, but don't let the Population as of 2000 census fool you. The say 3705 people. A search of the population of the zip code for Hamilton states that its more than 12,000. Here is a 19 page PDF detailing the Population Growth of the Bitterroot Valley, the home of Hamilton.
This other City-Data thread also talks about Hamilton.

Last edited by JetMech72; 09-22-2008 at 05:41 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 02:11 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech72 View Post
The late Hoyt Axton used to call the Bitterroot his home.
Really? Wow. "Boney Fingers" is one of my very fave songs!!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 PM

139 posts, read 420,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Really? Wow. "Boney Fingers" is one of my very fave songs!!
Yep. He had a part in "Disorganized Crime" and fell in love with the place. Had a house near Victor. He purchased enough AR-15 rifles to put one in each of the Ravalli County Sheriff's patrol cars. Sheriff Jay Printz made him an Honorary Deputy for that. On that note, Christopher Lloyd (Doc Brown from "Back to the Future") has a ranch near Darby and his barn had caught fire and the Darby Volunteer Fire Dept. responded and saved a good portion of the barn. Lloyd was so impressed by them that he donated funds to construct an upgraded, modern fire station in Darby.

Interesting fact about Hoyt Axton; he LOVED Waffle House. My uncle drove his tour bus down in the South and he said that Hoyt would get upset if he drove passed a Waffle House without stopping. For those of you that aren't familiar with Waffle Houses, they are just little restaurants that sell....waffles, kinda like mini IHOPs, and they are on nearly every street corner in the deep South. It was a good, humorous, story about him.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:29 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMech72 View Post
Interesting fact about Hoyt Axton; he LOVED Waffle House.
Neat stories about him, thanks so much for sharing! He was taken from us too soon, for sure...

I'll have to check out "Disorganized Crime" -- I see that the cast also included Fred Gwynne, who was a superb actor and by all reports a nice guy.

After looking at the Waffle House site, I think we can tell why people like it -- the two founders are still personally involved. That makes all the difference in the world!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:43 PM

989 posts, read 3,127,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nking View Post
... little high for my income but God will provide.
Will you ask your God to provide me some money to put gas in my truck? While He's at it have him provide me with a little more money each month so I can pay off my land.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,754 times
wanting to move my family there in hamilton. have small children and feel that a small town is so much better for children than a bigger city. curious about the jobs there though, i really hope i can hear some possitive replys to this. thanks

Old 09-27-2008, 09:25 AM

27 posts, read 86,057 times
Default Hamilton opinions

Trying to sell my house in SoCal (good luck with that one!). Am done with this state, really considering NoAZ, but a friend suggested Hamilton MT. The water situation in AZ is problematic for me. No kids at home, just me, hubby and dogs, so schools are not really a consideration. Will be working from home, so that's OK. Really want a small house on acreage -as much as I can afford. Can I get some thoughts on Hamilton? Winter? I am a 2nd generation SoCal person-thin blood . Long? Friendly? Traffic?
Just anything you can think of to tell me. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,870,919 times
Why Hamilton ? There sure are a lot of other places in Montana that are almost as pretty and not nearly as expensive. Visit Visit Visit is what I say. Here are a few starters; Lincoln, Seely/Swan area, Columbia Falls, Lewistown, Libby, Eureka, Boulder, Thompson Falls, Noxon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana