Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:35 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,599 times

Advertisements

So...does anybody else have any info about what places would fit my husband and I best? We would love to be around mountains, open space...but be a SHORT drive away from nice ameneties...like small town (or larger town) shopping and dining as well as a medical center.

Hopefully a bit more information about us will help...we are young, really have no debt (other than college loans), our ties to Ohio is family...but that is the point of transportation. We have a small dog and would be looking to rent at first, unless housing is affordable. Eventually, I would like to have a small farm (a few horses)...but that's down the road. Can I get info on good locations, weather patterns/temperatures, and life in Montana in general.

I have gotten a lot of help from another forum, but I'm hoping I can get a little more info about Montana. Please...any info is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
So...does anybody else have any info about what places would fit my husband and I best? We would love to be around mountains, open space...but be a SHORT drive away from nice ameneties...like small town (or larger town) shopping and dining as well as a medical center.

Hopefully a bit more information about us will help...we are young, really have no debt (other than college loans), our ties to Ohio is family...but that is the point of transportation. We have a small dog and would be looking to rent at first, unless housing is affordable. Eventually, I would like to have a small farm (a few horses)...but that's down the road. Can I get info on good locations, weather patterns/temperatures, and life in Montana in general.

I have gotten a lot of help from another forum, but I'm hoping I can get a little more info about Montana. Please...any info is helpful.
what career path are you both on, Montana is a huge state. You job needs will place you in the state, can we start there?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:15 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,615 times
The real quick answer is yes, Montana is an outdoorsy state. People love to go hiking, fishing, kayaking, boating, camping, etc, etc, etc all the time. People do these things a LOT in the summer and a lot of people go snowmobiling, skiing (cross country or downhill) in the winter. So yes, there is no doubt that you'll be able to find some outdoorsy activities that you'll enjoy doing here in Montana, hence is why it is a toursity state.

Don't worry about a medical center if you're young and healthy, which it sounds like you are. Montanans take care of themselves and figure out a way with medical stuff.

Bozeman is a great place in my opinion because of the college town there. You'll find a crowd there that is about your age and lots of things to do.

I grew up in Whitefish which is another great town.

Between these two places, you'll enjoy life here if you can eke out a living. That's the hard part, though, making ends meet. Getting (teaching) jobs in both of these towns is very difficult because there is a lot of competition. You'll find it far easier to get a job in Malta, Belt, Harlow, or other small towns, but there isn't as much to do in these places and you'll want to visit before moving there.

Best suggestion is to visit Montana first and interview for some positions. When you have an offer, come back here and post some questions about the school district or the town that you have the offer and we'll try to post some answers.

Good luck! It's hard getting your first job out of college. You'll do well to take whatever you can for a couple years. Maybe that's a suggestion I can offer - many young teachers in Montana apply and interview with every school district that is hiring rather than trying to pick the perfect one and only applying at that one.

Last edited by bigtrees; 09-24-2008 at 10:25 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 AM

Default Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
what career path are you both on, Montana is a huge state. You job needs will place you in the state, can we start there?
In my first post, I stated that my husband is a teacher and I am graduating with the same degree.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:17 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
In my first post, I stated that my husband is a teacher and I am graduating with the same degree.
Sorry, you are right and I even read the info on teachers going out of the state Sorry, my hubby is a teacher, the info you are getting is correct as far as salary. Schools are closing and consolating here in the eastern part of the state. Population continues to decline. Look Westward. Good Luck!

Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 PM

8 posts, read 25,943 times
Default Montana is great

Hello. I am 22 and I have lived in MT for about 3 years (Great falls). I really do love it here, although I am planning a move myself. There are plenty of outdoor activities to do and nice people all around. The night life is not that great (I am from Vegas), but I have made do and definitely have enjoyed the relaxed bar scene. It's almost like a house party at a bar..I'm not sure about the public school system, but I work at the University of Great Falls and love it (admissions associate). Rent is VERY VERY do-able. I am renting a newly remodeled duplex with 2 good sized bedrooms on the 2nd floor along with a smaller room (still good sized) and a bathroom. We have another spare bedroom in the basement, kitchen, cute dining room and my roommate and I pay 650..i know we got a steal but this is just one example of many. Look on the Great Falls Tribune and you will see some options. Great Falls has an air force base called Malmstrom so you will meet a lot of people our age (mainly guys but oh well). If you have any other questions please ask..

Old 09-25-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Sorry, you are right and I even read the info on teachers going out of the state Sorry, my hubby is a teacher, the info you are getting is correct as far as salary. Schools are closing and consolating here in the eastern part of the state. Population continues to decline. Look Westward. Good Luck!
Oh, it's ok! I sometimes overlook things too! So, when you say look westward...are you talking Idaho, Washington, California or all three? And which of those states have the most teaching opportunities?

Wow...that rent sounds really good! I'll have to look up more info on Great Falls. I haven't really looked into that area too much, but maybe I'll take a peek!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:13 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
Great Falls rent may be cheaper, but the low wages won't make up for it. You would still really struggle as teachers there. GF is a nice town, but IMHO I wouldn't want to see a young couple start out struggling financially when you could do better elsewhere. I LOVE Montana and would have stayed if it had not been for the wages.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:24 AM

28 posts, read 109,676 times
If you LOVE outdoors and you got a dog.. OREGON is for you !!!! We also are a great place for teachers to start out with... Give McMinnville a google. You'll like us! promise

Old 09-26-2008, 04:50 AM

Well...when I say we have a dog, I'm talking a less than 10 lb pomeranian lol, so he's not exactly the type of animal you take hiking or anything, but we still go running with him and take him on long walks. BUT, we really want to get a large dog when we can afford it. So, I guess that would be ok!

I've heard Oregon can be kind of gloomy in the winter...similar to Washington (Seattle), or is that referring to the Portland area? I get kind of confused by some posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana