Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 01:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
I used to see alot of illegal labor in the cherry orchards around Flathead.
Now it's food service and construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Now it's food service and construction.
And as folk will soon discover about said construction... things can be done the right way, the wrong way, or the Mexican way!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
'Tis true, seen it with a townhouse developement in Whitefish. Pure junk!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:54 PM

62 posts, read 471,085 times
Default Life's a little harder here than Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by headenwest View Post
As if this thread needs more posts

I am one of those moving to Montana that some of you seem so angry with. I politely suggest that you are Ghost Dancing....May I suggest that you might think of your children and grandchildren who with some economic growth might be able to stay in Montana with good jobs instead of leaving?

Anyone that says money does not matter has never been totally without it.

"Just my opinion- I could be wrong"
Nope, no ghost dancing here, Michigander. I had to live in Detroit for 4 or so years of my life. I would watch Grizzly Adams just to remember Montana.
My children and grand children are scratching a living here. Yeap, its difficult, but worth the effort. My son works 70 hours a week and his girl friend has two jobs. They live in a home that in Michigan would cost about $60K and it was just appraised here for $160K.

Yeap, I've totally been without money...when we moved back here from Michigan. That's when my ex (Michigan native) learned how to shoot a gun for a deer because otherwise we wouldn't have eaten. Before ya come you might want to know you can starve eating just rabbit. Be sure and get here during hunting season so you can provide for your family. Its getting too cold to grow veggies. And those words weren't meant to hurt....its all true.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:38 PM

Exclamation Push #1 for English WHAT !?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
And as folk will soon discover about said construction... things can be done the right way, the wrong way, or the Mexican way!
Ya know I think there are a lot of Mexicans coming in, but I also believe there are a lot of other foreigners. I think they are the same "politically" correct ones whom are diverting America's energies to profiling the Mexicans.

I remember when I used to attend training etc. in silicon valley California many years ago. I know the hotel attendants weren't Mexican, but they couldn't speak a lick of English. I think they are the same ones making us concentrate on Mexicans rather than ALL ILLEGALS. An illegal to me is one whom hasn't applied for citizenship LEGALLY... They are called Illegals because they aren't being legal about their status here in the good ole USA.

When the "politically" correct say we are all immigrants, well, damn tooting, but our forefathers went about becoming citizens the correct way. The illegals want an easy button.

This might be a new thread ? I'm not moderating, just thinking we are getting away from the title of this thread which is we are so MAD about people changing our ways of doing things. Heck, we have wine in our grocery stores now. I have to push 1 for English. What else can happen?

Get ahold of your representatives. Tell them in Montana we don't want to have to push 1 for English.

The only reason we have Spanish alternative now is because all the illegals first needed to learn Spanish to get through Mexico and over the border....English is TOO difficult to learn.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:58 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
The immigrants come from all over, but the vast majority (probably 98%) of illegals in this country are from Mexico. And only the Mexican factor has the political clout to make sure that illegals from everywhere (including, naturally, Mexico) retain all the benefits we citizens' taxes have so graciously provided them, at no charge to themselves.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcobrn View Post
I'm sorry. No I didn't intentionally try to "tork" you off ...I was merely posting "tongue-in-cheek" as a response to frequent generalizations from the Cali-phobes and was just trying to be what they expected me to be.

You are new here to this forum (according to your date) and are stereotyping me without knowing me as a human being or reading previous explanatory posts about myself.

We are building a new home because the property we bought, where my husband wanted to live, won't allow a modular, trailer or tent to live in.
I don't have the energy to clean 5000 sq.ft so it will be a livable size, not a lodge. It is not my recreation home, it will be my full-time home. I am not one who keeps up with the "JONES" I already have a job lined up, as I am to poor to retire at 58! my husband has been told he will find employment also.
I hate country clubs and all they stand for. I am conservative in my dress, behavior and beliefs, albeit a few quirky ones. I hate rap music, love country and classic rock.(after all, I'm one of those "baby boomers")
We seldom party, eat out or go to movies or plays. We don't hob-nob socially. Most of our friends are our family, we are very family oriented, at least with those we have left.

This property and the community are so much like I grew up with in my hometown, that it feels like "I am" coming home. Unfortunately, my hometown is way too expensive so I can't go home there in my waning years, regardless of the memories. The town had dirt roads way back when my dad and granddad bought up on the hill....having moved here from Iowa in the 30's. They helped build homes in the neighborhood, helped build the Caldecott Tunnel that goes to Oakland, Ca. Dad was raised Quaker and instilled many virtues in his own kids.

So, yes I believe in serenity, solitude and incense. I'm loyal, compassionate, sensitive, fair-minded, helpful (nurses can be very nurturing souls), accountable for my own actions and pose no threat to you and your state. I am very out of step with the political nature of the San Fransisco Bay Area; I don't love it, and plan to leave it while I can. I just don't have the energy for this place anymore. I live on almost a half acre here, because I can't stand to be so close to my neighbor's house that I can hear them farting in their bathroom. Yuck, too close.

I travel a bit, sightseeing around my state and nearby states now, and I plan to do the same there. I have read of many places on here that I would love to see, find a nice place to camp sometime, and meet people. The USA has so much more to offer the traveller, IMHO, than any Tourist trap does.

So despise me if you want, that's your right as an individual and as an American.
Just as it is my right to live wherever I want and be as responsible a citizen and neighbor as I can be and be kind to Nature and her inhabitants. I will survive even if I am my only friend. After all, all any of us know about each other is what we read here, and even then we still don't know.

Peace.
My brother in-law owns a home in Montana. I don't know where, but I was just reading this forum to see what it was like. I am not moving to Montana so nobody get excited. I live in Tennessee and love it here. I just wanted to say to you, fbcobrn, that you expressed yourself with such eloquence and the good people of Montana should feel proud to have you for a neighbor. I know I would!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:20 PM

So why Feinstein and Boxer?! Why do they continue to get elected?
And why weren't there any Californians protesting the protestors about illegal immigration during Spanish days Santa de Mingo or whatever its called? If there were protesters protesting the protestors it wasn't covered by the media.

When people say we should tell our legislature to fix problems....then I can't figure out why everyone is coming here rather than fixing the problem in California with better representation.

That is a question...why was California allowed to go to the dogs. It was/is gorgeous.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 PM

24 posts, read 44,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeMontanan View Post
So why Feinstein and Boxer?! Why do they continue to get elected?

When people say we should tell our legislature to fix problems....then I can't figure out why everyone is coming here rather than fixing the problem in California with better representation.

That is a question...why was California allowed to go to the dogs. It was/is gorgeous.
Because we're outnumbered. We have a large hispanic population that is legal, and I'm sure the majority of them vote in favor of giving rights for the illegals to benefit their family members who are illegal, not to mention a large outbreak a the Liberal "Epidemic" (I call it that because I feel it's a disease, too bad there's not a vaccine). We're fighting a losing battle over here.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:50 PM

495 posts, read 492,960 times
I think the topic of illegals is directly related to the topic of this thread.....actually I'd prefer to replace the word 'mad' with "we're standing and express are dislike as to what is happening here", but that aside.....basically the illegal problem in other areas of the country is pushing people to move up here, in essence to get away from the problems the illegals are causing.
In a way you can consider the collective character of a society as a single personality.............and just as the moral character of a single person drops and as a consequence he/she begins to not care and make bad decisions, so it is with a society or in this case the population of a state. Calif is paying the price for its' self indulgence, leading to complacency, like a person who is more bent on his own pleasure, comfort and satisfaction then standing up for what is best.
You see there really is a reason why a person or a society should not give into vice..............the liberal Calif mindset of......"why can't I smoke pot, I'm not hurting any one, or for that matter why can't I do this that or the other thing if it doesn't bother anyone"............well you did hurt someone, in the end you hurt and ruined your state, because of your drug induced complacence, amoung other things. Vice leads to many social problems, I say "leads to" - the hippies only looked to the immediate problem that their behavior might cause and when they saw none, they thought, "so what's so wrong with it" ....problems was they couldn't see past nose, and to make it worse they didn't even take vice in moderation, they took it to excess......
Are there 'good' (if i can use that word) people in calif, certainly, but the bad have out weight the good. Put all the vice and virtue of Calif in one big pot and stir it up and poor out one human spirit - and you have someone who would rather persue his on pleasure than keep a mindfull eye on what is happen to his world around him. Cailf in the end got what it deserved, sad to say. It is reaping what it sowed........dragging down the good, along with the bad and ugly.
Calif is a warning of what will happen next in MT if we let it.....I'd leave a little room for error in my prediction but for the fact that you can already see it happening.....And that is why 'some people' or at least I am so mad.
And before I get accused of singling out or picking on Califs....it's not just Calif, it has happened already in many areas of our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana