U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 07:38 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,567,152 times

Advertisements

Some interesting stats:

Gallatin County Becomes Fastest Growing in Montana

By Lucia Stewart, 4-07-08

Gallatin County has surpassed Flathead County as the third most populous in Montana — and is leading in the state for growth.

The recent U.S. Census reports over 87,359 current residents in Gallatin County, gaining 19,528 new residents since Census 2000, a 28.8 percent population increase in eight years.

Gallatin County is also ranked No. 92 on the “100 fastest growing counties” in the United States, where 22 of the 100 are in the West.

Flathead County currently is home to 86,844 residents, now fourth in the state after Yellowstone County (139,936) and Missoula County (105,650).

Montana’s overall population increased 6.2 percent since 2000. But this growth was concentrated in 22 of the 56 counties, while 34 counties, mainly in Eastern and North Central Montana, faced declining population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,995,620 times
Default Montana is everything Colorado thinks it is ...

I'm from Colorado and Western Montana is a dream for me, note BIG DIFFERENCE between E. and W. Montana ... anywho someone once said to me when I was interviewing for Montana State Parks, "Montana, it's everything Colorado thinks it is" ... or something to that matter and people there seemed like they just wanted me to conduct my business and leave.

And I give them damn a lot of respect for that because when I went up there, I was looking for a better living, I would make a lil less and live a lil more. I wanted out of Colorado because everyone was moving here (6th fastest growing state and 3rd most out of staters) and Colorado has this culture of endorsing out of staters, even all our politicians here are out of staters and so it became a tumbling snowball effect and before you'd see that attitude in Colorado about being "Native" and now all the Natives are moving out, a couple of my friends to Montana and they love it. I understand that Montana attitude, change is a scary thing and they just want to protect their community and it's like your baby, you'd do anything to protect her. I hope that Montana does not get the influx like Colorado and I hope people who move to Montana cuz a lot of people will, that they respect and take care of her.

In the end I didn't get the State Parks job but it was a good move I didn't move there but I'm still moving out of Colorado to another State next year, mainly because in 10 year or so when **** hits the roof, it will become like another Northern California, with the high prices, suburban spraw, strict laws, illegal immigrants and all those problem that come with a increasing urban population on a growing State. Cherish what you have for now Montana your only about 20 years behind Colorado.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:11 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,112 times
Montana today and Colorado in the 80's are very similar. Fortunately we don't have a Denver close by.

Seems like CO started to go downhill when the big telecom companies started to set up shop in the Denver tech center, and when the movie and music stars started buying up property because it was the trendy thing to do. Aspen is the only town I've ever seen that had credit card swipers on the parking meters!

Some of Western Montana is headed that way, there are properties that I remember looking at in Gallatin County, and dreaming about years ago on the river I could have bought (but then the prices were still a bit high!) for anywhere from 100-250K 8-15 years ago that are in the 7 figure range now after being bought and sold by investment minded people.

The middle class still has a presence here, but if the rich cats get their way it'll be the haves and the have nots before too awful long.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:28 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,995,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Montana today and Colorado in the 80's are very similar. Fortunately we don't have a Denver close by.

Seems like CO started to go downhill when the big telecom companies started to set up shop in the Denver tech center, and when the movie and music stars started buying up property because it was the trendy thing to do. Aspen is the only town I've ever seen that had credit card swipers on the parking meters!

Some of Western Montana is headed that way, there are properties that I remember looking at in Gallatin County, and dreaming about years ago on the river I could have bought (but then the prices were still a bit high!) for anywhere from 100-250K 8-15 years ago that are in the 7 figure range now after being bought and sold by investment minded people.

The middle class still has a presence here, but if the rich cats get their way it'll be the haves and the have nots before too awful long.
It's funny to think how everyone just skips Wyoming all together.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,350,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
It's funny to think how everyone just skips Wyoming all together.
Shhhhhhhhhhhh!
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 PM

Here's an interesting article about urban sprawl:

Numbers USA (http://www.numbersusa.com/interests/urbansprawl.html - broken link)

Old 05-08-2008, 10:10 AM

4 guys are driving cross-country together -- one from Idaho, one from Nebraska, one from Montana, and the last one is from California. A bit down the road the man from Idaho starts to pull potatoes from his bag and throws them out the window.

The man from Nebraska turns to him and asks, "What the hell are you doing?"

The man from Idaho says, "Man, we have so many of these damned things in Idaho they're laying around on the ground - I'm sick of looking at them!"

A few miles down the road, the man from Nebraska begins pulling husks of corn from his bag and throwing them out the window.

The man from Montana asks "What are you doing that for?"

The Nebraskan replies, "Man, we have so many of these damned things in Nebraska I'm sick of looking at them!"

Inspired by the others, the man from Montana opens the car door and pushes the Californian out.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:56 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,448,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
4 guys are driving cross-country together -- one from Idaho, one from Nebraska, one from Montana, and the last one is from California. A bit down the road the man from Idaho starts to pull potatoes from his bag and throws them out the window.

The man from Nebraska turns to him and asks, "What the hell are you doing?"

The man from Idaho says, "Man, we have so many of these damned things in Idaho they're laying around on the ground - I'm sick of looking at them!"

A few miles down the road, the man from Nebraska begins pulling husks of corn from his bag and throwing them out the window.

The man from Montana asks "What are you doing that for?"

The Nebraskan replies, "Man, we have so many of these damned things in Nebraska I'm sick of looking at them!"

Inspired by the others, the man from Montana opens the car door and pushes the Californian out.

If I could give you more than one rep point I would!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If I could give you more than one rep point I would!!!!
Tee hee... hey, how the heck do those rep points work? You seem to have collected more than your fair share

Old 05-09-2008, 06:35 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,448,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Tee hee... hey, how the heck do those rep points work? You seem to have collected more than your fair share
If you approve of a post click on the little scale in the upper right hand corner next to the post #. You can leave a comment if you want or just your name...YOu can also click the little + sign in the lower left corner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or