U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 12:57 AM

6,238 posts, read 15,416,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
I would venture to guess that within about the next 5 years, folks moving here from California (and other parts of the country), will end up "moving to" what they wanted to "move from".

Those who are here now, will be looking to bail in about 5 to 7 years.... cause it is, or it will be, just like the place they ran away from in the first place.......
I think I should stop reading the posts in the Montana forum altogether. This is too depressing for me to even contemplate - that even though I'm working so hard now, trying to put some extra money away, there may be no restful, peaceful place to move to when I can finally go.

Maybe what I should keep in mind is that even though Montana is growing, the state's population is still less than one million. Los Angeles County alone has ten million. I'd say there's still a lot of space in Montana. I may not end up relocating to the most beautiful part of the state, but I could live with that if I don't have to cope with wall to wall traffic and people everywhere.

I don't even truly know if I would want to move there, because I haven't had the opportunity to visit yet. I hope to do so in the next year or two, but I don't have much disposable income with two kids in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 08:39 AM

529 posts, read 1,729,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I think I should stop reading the posts in the Montana forum altogether. This is too depressing for me to even contemplate - that even though I'm working so hard now, trying to put some extra money away, there may be no restful, peaceful place to move to when I can finally go.

Maybe what I should keep in mind is that even though Montana is growing, the state's population is still less than one million. Los Angeles County alone has ten million. I'd say there's still a lot of space in Montana. I may not end up relocating to the most beautiful part of the state, but I could live with that if I don't have to cope with wall to wall traffic and people everywhere.

I don't even truly know if I would want to move there, because I haven't had the opportunity to visit yet. I hope to do so in the next year or two, but I don't have much disposable income with two kids in college.

To put it into perspective:

Ravalli County has 2,394 square miles with a population of 39,000 and climbing

Meagher County has 2,395 square miles with a population of 1,932

People come into these forums all pumped up about the Bitterroot, asking all sorts of questions about it, where to move to? Are there any areas for a cabin? Peace and quiet?... and I don't rightly know what to tell them...... Now that's, what's depressing.

What do we tell someone that's been B.S.ed into thinking that the Bitterroot is just "all of that", with prestine wilderness, calm and quite....... where there is room to settle in, away from it all??...

Sometimes it takes a PHD to get the point across to some of these folks, because many just won't listen to us.

Now there are any good numbers of other places in the state. True, the state has less than a million in population...... and with that being said, I'll also just remind you that the report presented here is targeting the areas of western Montana, (Missoula, Bitterroot)..... even those in the Flathead are starting to take notice, that while this growth thing, being fine, can be too much.
Too much of a good thing surely cannot be good.... and by this, I mean, that county officials in the west have pretty much painted themselves into a corner on this one.
When county and city officials start commenting about things such as "too much, too fast", then you know the end is near.

There are other counties in the state that still have organic incomes, lower populations, and plenty of room to move around in. Counties that have kept a watchful eye on what's been going on in the west, counties that encourage kids, schools and "growth".
It's not too late really, and growth, in and of itself, can be a good thing, if applied in moderation.

The trouble with places like the Bitterroot, is that county officials (many of whom are transplants themselves) were thinking out of their arses or not at all when they got on board with the marketing of the place...... Montana is going to catch up with them pretty quick when this whole false economy facade comes crumbling down around them.

Do your research. There are 56 counties in the state from which to choose.
The Bitterroot and Missoula valleys might be a washout... along with many other western counties, but there are still some very nice places in the state.

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed when in comes right down to it, but at least I had enough sense to bail out of Missoula, clear back in 1991.
I knew what was going on there and I didn't want any part of it. If I wanted to live in California, I'd move there.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:25 AM

462 posts, read 1,527,942 times
Default paradise found

There has been an awful lot of generalizing going on here on this board as of late and much of it is uncalled for regarding "the rest of Montana". All this whining is coming from the Bitteroot/Missoula area but it hardly applies to everywhere in Montana.

There are still tons of nice areas that are not highly populated where one could move and have a nice life and room to move without people breathing down your neck. I live in one of those areas and believe me, they do exist. Everyone waves to each other...not even knowing who you are waving to, just a nice gesture...people don't lock their houses here, they don't worry about going into the store when it's really cold out and leaving their cars running in the parking lot with doors unlocked and knowing it will still be there when they come out. This is the way Montana was and in some places still is. If you need to be near huge population you will have many of the same problems but if you can exist away from it, you will find wonderful peace and quiet and beautiful surroundings. Lots of great small towns and people.

Please do not be discouraged by the whiners from Missoula. Go find your own piece of paradise and you will be in a better place than they.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:43 AM

529 posts, read 1,729,176 times
Yes....

There are many of us here that know where to go if you want peace and quiet. With trees, fresh air and good neighbors.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:20 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,764,377 times
SandyCo,
After living in a big city Missoula will seem very small. It's true that it's growing and one of the bigger towns but it's all relative. You could hide Missoula in LA and have a hard time finding it. I do think the prices are too high there but compared to California it's cheap so you have to put it in perspective. Missoula's always been my favorite place in Montana but I also like towns like Livingston which are much smaller but are situated in a scenic location and would be a very pleasant place to live. One of the most difficult things to adjust to could be the weather. Winters can get really cold and driving on icy highways has never been one of my favorite activities. There's alot to consider but there's many positives so keep an open mind.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 11,239 times
Moderator cut: offensive

Look, pride in your state and home is great. But, what a lot of people have forgotten is that Montana is still part of America! And a basic right that every American has is "the pursuit of happiness". That means being able to do what you love, live where you want, and not be harassed by anyone. How dare you act like you have more rights than anyone else! What level of conceit does it show to think you can tell anyone that they can't live in YOUR state?

Let me ask you all something. I see posts complaining about the sort of people you don't like moving to Montana. So, how about a person who has a Master's Degree in Civil engineering? Someone who has been happily married for 15 years? Someone who as never been given so much as a parking ticket? Someone who has never done drugs? A man who has served in the military for 12 years? And during that service was awarded a Purple Heart for being wounded in battle? What about someone who supports the VFW, American Legion and Policeman's Benevolent Association?

See, I am all of those things. Would you tell me I can't move my family to YOUR state for a better life? Well, the wonderful thing about being free is that I don't have to worry whether you like it or not. But you see, I already live here. And just in case you are all puffed up thinking you are something special because you are a "4th generation Montanan", my family has been here since 1871. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-18-2007 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: putdowns

Old 02-18-2007, 11:26 AM

495 posts, read 365,350 times
Hey ladyflyfish, if I was you I'd be REAL carefull about what I'd say about where you live. If it was me and I lived in a nice place I'd keep my mouth shut real tight. No good can come of it.
If anyone every makes a movie or a book about your valley.....your toast ! And well see how neighborly you are when you walk into your use-2-b favorite fly fishing hole and find a couple dudes chucking their dinner up on the bank, with that "just move-ta-monanta and livin' of the land mentality"
If there is one lesson in western montana that should have learned from all this....if you got a good thing, count your blessings, and KEEP YOU MOUTH SHUT.

Montana guy, house prices in missoula my not be a match big city Calif prices (I should add 'yet'), but that is one of the few places in the country they don't. The prices in Missoula certainly do match and exceed those of many very expensive areas of the country. I was was recently on a trip that took me to north/central New Jersey of all places, a place with very good salaries and one can even commute into new york city for the real big bucks, I know what you are thinking, but whether that is you cup of tea is not is not my point, my point is that the realestate prices there, were pretty much the same as places in Montana and particularly in Missoula, which in some case Missoula house prices out strip well to do areas of northern jersey........So very few places in the country can out do us for housing prices.
The average/median home price in places, like say Missoula, is deceiving in that what you get for your money isn't very much at all, verses somewhere else, "oh I can get a house in missoula for 200,000"....well it won't be much of a house, very small, cheesy, no basement no garage, etc... Some 900 sq/st houses run up into the 300-400k and better range, hard to imagine. They are what use to be considered starter homes for the working class. Now they are for the elite. What kind of salary do you need to get a 400k mortgage, it's over 100K just to get into a starter home, on the foo-foo sie of town, it's a sad world.
Hey Sandyco, it is depressing................welcome to montana, go ahead stick your head in the sand everyone else is, well shy a few.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:59 PM

737 posts, read 2,841,090 times
That's it, I'm moving to New Zealand!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 01:05 PM

johns65vette wrote:
Quote:
That's it, I'm moving to New Zealand!!!
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, keep that one to yourself

Old 02-18-2007, 04:53 PM

annondomini wrote

Quote:
And a basic right that every American has is "the pursuit of happiness". That means being able to do what you love, live where you want, and not be harassed by anyone
That's exactly what us Montanans are trying to tell you....people like you moving in here are ruining our "pursuit of happiness"....and don't want to be harassed by anyone like that crowding us out and driving up home ownership cost.... Have a heart our kids can't compete with your Californina (or anywhere else) big bucks, from either selling you house there, pension, inheritance, whatever, our kids that would like to buy houses here can't compete with that, they are locked out of the home ownership market for the likes of your folks driving up prices,....have a heart. Afterall they did growup here, where is their "pursuit of happyness", your just walking all over it.
Moderator cut: referring to deleted post

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-18-2007 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: referring to deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or