Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:18 PM

854 posts, read 4,140,256 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm considering a drive from Seattle to Chicago for the holidays. Three of us in a Honda Accord -- two adults and a 20-month-old.

Is that nuts? We know it's POSSIBLE the mountain passes in western Washington can close, but that it's rare. And some people warn that you can get very nasty storms that can keep you stuck on a freezing interstsate for days. That, with a little kiddo, would be miserable.

Is this common, or rare? We can check weather forecasts both ways and wait a few days if a nasty storm is predicted. But it will be a 2 or 3 day drive, so I don't know how accurate they'll be.

Is this as risky a trip as some suggest, or are the roads usually clear enough to travel on through in the winter? If a storm is coming, is there usually enough warning, or do they tend to be sudden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
While I'm not a Montanan, I have spent the better part of 40 years driving the mountain roads in the Rocky Mountain West, as well as on the plains of Colorado, Wyoming, parts of Nebraska, and the Dakotas.

You will confront to two somewhat different potential driving hazards--one is driving on snowpacked or icy mountain highways, the other the potential for brutal cold and/or blizzarding on the plains. Neither is much fun, but--of the two (and having done a lot of driving in both)--the latter can be much more hazardous. In both cases, being prepared for bad conditions is a necessity. For mountain driving, that means having good winter tires and the skill to drive on icy and snowpacked mountain roads safely. Out on the plains, it means having the things with you to survive if you get stranded in your vehicle during a blizzard. It also means planning ahead--driving on the top half of your fuel tank, knowing distances between towns, keeping up with weather forecasts, etc. There is a great thread over on the Wyoming forum about winter survival kits for vehicles. I never travel without one in the Rockies or High Plains during the winter. Read here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...-your-car.html

You may have a completely uneventful trip with no bad weather and with dry roads. Or you could be in snow or blizzarding for hundreds of miles. I've seen both over the years--many times.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
Hi All,

I'm considering a drive from Seattle to Chicago for the holidays. Three of us in a Honda Accord -- two adults and a 20-month-old.

Is that nuts? We know it's POSSIBLE the mountain passes in western Washington can close, but that it's rare. And some people warn that you can get very nasty storms that can keep you stuck on a freezing interstsate for days. That, with a little kiddo, would be miserable.

Is this common, or rare? We can check weather forecasts both ways and wait a few days if a nasty storm is predicted. But it will be a 2 or 3 day drive, so I don't know how accurate they'll be.

Is this as risky a trip as some suggest, or are the roads usually clear enough to travel on through in the winter? If a storm is coming, is there usually enough warning, or do they tend to be sudden?
You should generally be fine. As you noted, the passes are the worst. Snoqualmie will have typical winter traffic jams up at the pass but has usually been passable for me. 4th of July and Lolo pass can get bad at times but my family have driven them in the winter frequently without trouble. Most of the time you'll be fine. Then you'll eventually get into Homestake Pass, which can be difficult because it's curvey so you have lots of bends on the road. The you'll get to Bozeman pass which is usually fine. Then you'll be free and clear.

But boy, you are looking at a long drive! Especially with a 20 month old.

Your other option (as you surely know) is Amtrak, but it's unreliable in the winter. It'll get you there but you never know how long it will take.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 PM

188 posts, read 548,433 times
I've driven Montana highways all my life. I feel that the only time that you have to worry is during or right after a snow-storm. After that the highway crews get in there and its not much of a problem, especially on the well traveled interstate (I presume you'll be going across on I-90)

You could give yourself a 2-3 day buffer time when you leave, and when you come back. That way you can wait out a storm if you have to.

Winter storms are sporadic and likely you will be traveling between storms anyway and therefore should have no problems.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
At least they don't turn you back halfway to the pass if you don't have chains during storms in Montana. If you know how to drive in ice and snow and keep an eye on the storm track you'll be fine. I have mud tires and have never used chains. I cross the northern Rockies quite often and I take my parrot and dog with me in a 85 Toyota pick up. We are going over Marias pass this weekend and this is how we roll. Click on thumbnail and let load. Understand now that we have no AAA, no savings account, no credit cards. If we can deal with it I'm sure you can. Just keep a close eye on the weather, and did I mention that I detest tire chains !
Attached Thumbnails
Driving across Montana in winter-000_0023.jpg   Driving across Montana in winter-000_0004.jpg  

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Thumbs down Sorry to be a Debbie Downer

Stick to the main roads, do not rely on any "shortcuts". Do you remember the fellow who took his family to the coast of Oregon during Thanksgiving, took a logging road he saw on a map and ended up dying face down after the family was stuck for a week? Not to be a downer but with a little one I would think hard about this trip. You will have no cell service for long stretches. You will be driving on pure ice, with heavy winds, and you are in a light vehicle. Good luck and have check points with your family along the way.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
At least they don't turn you back halfway to the pass if you don't have chains during storms in Montana. If you know how to drive in ice and snow and keep an eye on the storm track you'll be fine. I have mud tires and have never used chains. I cross the northern Rockies quite often and I take my parrot and dog with me in a 85 Toyota pick up. We are going over Marias pass this weekend and this is how we roll. Click on thumbnail and let load. Understand now that we have no AAA, no savings account, no credit cards. If we can deal with it I'm sure you can. Just keep a close eye on the weather, and did I mention that I detest tire chains !
What kind of parrot is that? I birdsat many years ago and "brody" had the same type of coloring but for the life of me I can't remember what he was, only that he was loud! Very cool bird that drank coffee and was happy to ride on the kid's bike handlebars.Sorry to take a thread detour, BTW had to give up my 96 toy in a Sophies choice in the move to Montana

Last edited by Mt-7; 10-07-2008 at 10:01 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
That little sweetie is my Yellow Sided Green Cheeked Conure. She says "Ricky I love you", Hey baby", "Peekaboo baby" and a heck of a lot of "Popeye" style muttering ! She is related to the Maroon Belly Conures, I think she is a natural mutation that have been bred and hand spoon fed. She lays on her back on my hand and goes kayaking and bike riding with me. If I leave the room with her cage open (always) she will jump to the floor and go looking for me. They live 25 to 35 years if cared for properly and yes they can get nippy. They are known as the "quiet conures" and can make nice pets.
I also once had a Blue And Gold Macaw who would ride on my handlebars and she wasn't clipped ! She never ever tried to fly away and held her wings out like she was flying when I rode fast ! I traded her for a motorcycle when I had to move and couldn't have a pet.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
That little sweetie is my Yellow Sided Green Cheeked Conure. She says "Ricky I love you", Hey baby", "Peekaboo baby" and a heck of a lot of "Popeye" style muttering ! She is related to the Maroon Belly Conures, I think she is a natural mutation that have been bred and hand spoon fed. She lays on her back on my hand and goes kayaking and bike riding with me. If I leave the room with her cage open (always) she will jump to the floor and go looking for me. They live 25 to 35 years if cared for properly and yes they can get nippy. They are known as the "quiet conures" and can make nice pets.
Yes that is right, a conure, not condor or at least that was what was trying to spew out of my head. ( and yes I know what a condor is) Brody was solid green with just a little bit of red at the vent. His mommy was out of town for a year so I took on the challenge. Loved him but I do realize their lifespan. Good for you to commit to it. Enjoyed the pics of your other bud too. I saw a sun conure once, beautiful! Ok back to topic.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:16 PM

355 posts, read 1,146,303 times
What everyone above said, +

You'll probably be driving interstate a lot of the way, they generally get the most attention for plowing and sanding. Here's a highway update map that will help make decisions if you're in the state during bad weather: State of Montana Road Condition Map

Good luck and have a nice trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana