U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:16 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,153,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
That makes it hard, hey it is an election year, call the Gov's office and tell him you are going to call Bill O' Reily if he doesn't come there and fire your principle!
Sorry, but the Governer doesn't have the authority to fire the principal of school districts because they don't work for him. The principal works for the school board, made up of people who live in the area served by the school, and they are the ones who have the direct authority to fire the principal.

The Office of Public Instruction maintains some control, but the OPI doesn't report to the Gov. either, so I think the Gov. is "not responsible" on this account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:21 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,890,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Sorry, but the Governer doesn't have the authority to fire the principal of school districts because they don't work for him. The principal works for the school board, made up of people who live in the area served by the school, and they are the ones who have the direct authority to fire the principal.

The Office of Public Instruction maintains some control, but the OPI doesn't report to the Gov. either, so I think the Gov. is "not responsible" on this account.
Now, Now, just a little tongue in cheek! I just see alot of desperation in the OP. Of course I understand school systems, graduated two and am continuing to pay into both the Oregon and Montana University systems. Seems that her local school is being irresponsible. Any ideas?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:51 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,153,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Now, Now, just a little tongue in cheek! I just see alot of desperation in the OP. Of course I understand school systems, graduated two and am continuing to pay into both the Oregon and Montana University systems. Seems that her local school is being irresponsible. Any ideas?
No, I don't have any good ideas. The problem is the school is located on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, so it's a school with special qualities. I don't want to go into more details here, but you get the gist.

I think the problem is the people who live in the school district may not see anything wrong with their school. If that's the case, there's not much that can be done.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,890,962 times
I agree and being not sooo far from a simular situation I agree that it may just be what it is. However I would still fix it or just move along.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:26 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,465,661 times
Unfortunately OPI is not an "enforcement" agency according to them when I called about something like this. I have found that unless your child has some sort of disability your only option is to contact an attorney and have him/her contact the Superintendent to discuss what litigation will occur if this bullying doesn't stop. It's been my experience from conversations with people who are involved with this kind of thing not to mention personal observations that if you are a non indian in a predominately indian school you'll not be very welcome, kind of like what happens in the reverse in other places. It's sad but it is what it is and unless you really want a fight on your hands and to stir up the neighborhood I'd either move or home school. I've done the fight the school thing and it took 6 years, a lot of anger and disruption and only got a minimum of co-operation in the end so you need to think long and hard about going down this road.
Good luck...

Old 10-11-2008, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 9,387 times
Thanks for all of your input, I was totally unaware of all of the problems that comes with living on the reservation. I was told by my landlord it is no different than living anywhere else, boy was that a crock. We are a white family, and the the majority of kids here do not want white kids in thier schools so my kids feel it eveyday, so we are looking to move ASAP. Thanks again to all!

Old 10-11-2008, 07:12 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,873,899 times
St Ignatius is not on the Blackfeet Reservation it's on The Flathead Reservation.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:58 PM

65 posts, read 188,004 times
Try the Charlo schools. Smaller, just up the road from Mission --- seems to have less problems ---- most of the kids are from farming ranch families - see if you can get a transfer. Understand the school doesn't put up with the fighting. Also try the new Academy thing --- it seems to be created for "home school" kids. Do NOT try Ronan schools. Polson schools seem to be better.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,838,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnlerch View Post
I live in St Ignatius and have had nothing but problems with the schools here. My kids have always been very well liked in thier schools, but since moving here they have had to learn to fight because, if you go to the school principal they do nothing about it, neither does the super intendent, so I have had to teach my kids to fight so they will stop being picked on. This is so disturbing to me as a parent, I am now looking in to home schooling which is very expensive and hard to do in this state.
Is this an organized, i.e. "gang" problem, or is the problem limited to one or two bullies? Have you approached members of the school board who have children, or would it help to try to organize a parents group? It might help to put pressure on the Principal if several parents in a small town were vocal. The kids might tone it down if they knew they were being monitored and there would be consequences at home. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,873,899 times
It sounds like typical bullying that is found in any school but on the Flathead it is usually Indian kids picking on the white kids. This is found to some degree or another in just about every school on the Rez. (Charlo may be the only exception as another poster pointed out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana