U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:19 PM

17 posts, read 41,693 times

Advertisements

I am new to the forum. Just wanted to say I have been reading alot of negative writing on here about the people in Montana. Some of those people just don't get it do they? My family roots come from Montana. I have two siblings that were born in Montana along with both of my parents. Even though 3 of us were born in Washington State we were raised Montanan style. I ask, is there any other way???Nope!

In the early 1900's my Grandparents came to Montana from Missouri. My grandfather rode a train to Montana hoping to stake out some land for his family. He came here with one of his brothers. And grandpa did just that.

My family has been taught to preserve history. When (the place I live at currently) buildings are torn down for the newer and improved building I cringe, why? Because that little bit of history is GONE.

My dad shared this story over and over again throughout our childhood-
He was in the feed store in Roundup when a person came in (person being from another country and belief) and started to talk bad and down grade the peole in Montana and the United States. My grandfather may have been a small man, but the man found his self upside down in a flour bin. Needless to say he left town and was never to be seen back there again.

Another story was that my grandfather along with a few other farmers invested most of their HARD EARNED money to some man that thought he could get money out of some not so smart farmers. This was of course a hoax. Well t shorten up the story some- these not so smart farmers got their money back alright after my grandfather and some other farmers got a hold of this investor. My grandfatehr ended up in jail for the night until the NOT SO SMART investor could get out of town per the local sheriff.

On the last note- my dad (the family story teller) also would share this,
when someone needed a barn put up or hay brought in they would hitch up their horses and away they would go, the barn would be put up and the hay brought in for their neighbor. He said they were alaways feed well. To this day when someone helps my family out --- they eat well.

So to the people that down grade my heritage- I am so sorry for you that you did not get brought up with these values and true friendship of the people of Montana state..You see it all trickles down hill and my children adn grandchildren got stuck with all these values. Now ask yourself this question, are you not sorry you missed out on the right way of life.

My whole point being is Montana people take pride in their people and land. They are there to help their neighbors and anyone in need.

Looking forward to my trip to Montana in one week!
God Bless Montana.

P.s. my grand daughter's name is Montana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 08:14 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,151,552 times
I'm not quite sure what the point of the story is, but I know the Canyon area near Glacier Park very well and what jimj and the others have described is 100% true. I was born and raised in the area, and like a lot of Flatheaders, preferred ignoring the problems there but knew that things weren't pretty.

Same goes with St. Ig. or Ronan school districts.

Elsewhere? It all depends on well.....

Enjoy your visit!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 PM

I am sorry that this was confusing. I am new to this and I was reading some of the posts about how rude Montana people were. I just had to voice my opinion on how good Montana people are.

Sorry about the confussion.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:55 AM

305 posts, read 777,562 times
Great Stories!

Old 10-15-2008, 05:10 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,452,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaroots View Post
I am sorry that this was confusing. I am new to this and I was reading some of the posts about how rude Montana people were. I just had to voice my opinion on how good Montana people are.

Sorry about the confussion.
No problem, welcome to the neighborhood

Old 10-15-2008, 07:23 AM

49 posts, read 86,198 times
I really enjoyed your post. And although I've never been to Montana, but desperately hoping to get there soon - the memories that you've shared are exactly what I was hoping to see there. I hope that things haven't changed too much and that there are still areas like that. In these troubled times that our country is facing, I think that we'd all be better off if we could get more involved with our local communities.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:47 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,281,023 times
I commend you! If only more people would take that much pride in our great state. I too am a montana born and bred. My parents, their parents, my children, my husband, his parents, their parents and so on. My family can go back six generations of montana born and raised. To alot of out of staters moving in, moving to Montana is not a lifestyle change, it is shell shock. We don't conform easily. We love our customs, beliefs, and our state. Don't come here thinking we are going to change. I have just as much, if not more pride in Montana as I do in our nation.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 PM

Default Winnett

Does anyone know where Winnett is???

Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 AM

155 posts, read 639,018 times
about 95 miles north of Billings. Take 87 north out of billings, go through roundup, then turn east on the winnett rd. Or take 87 norht out of billings, go through roundup, then when you get to grass range turn east onto 200. You can also get there from Lewistown but I have never been on that rd.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,301,244 times
Great story, thanks for sharing.
Montana is a wonderful state. I have friends in Livingston and Libby. They have introduced me to several of their friends and after the initial handshake, it was like we've known each other for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana