U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 PM

837 posts, read 694,048 times
Pine beetles are endemic to Western forests; they've always been around and always will be.

I see your point, oldtrader, but dispute the notion that the forest "needs harvested"... the forest was there for a heck of a long time before any "harvesting" went on. Beetle kills and fires get rid of unfit trees and are natural parts of a forest's cycle. Nature figures itself out, we just like to think it needs our help.

Researchers believe beetle outbreaks are periodic, generally triggered by drought, which as discussed above weakens trees so they can't defend against the beetles. Since human settlement of the West is a fairly new innovation, we don't have records going back very far. Scientists look at tree rings to determine what's been going on. I don't think there's any reason to believe that the beetles just "showed up" to gall the environmentalists. Warmer temperatures come in to it, too. During long, hot summers the beetles can reproduce more prodigiously. A long, cold winter will kill them off, but we haven't been having severe cold the last few years.

From personal observation in Montana forests, I believe beetles don't care if they're in a recently logged area or not. They'll take what they can get.

So, yeah, the damage is done. Not much we can do at this point, except clean up the mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,680,690 times
Beetles come in when the forest is dry.

Natural forests are not near as thick with trees as the ones we have. There are several times per acre, with too many thin small trees that soak up the water. Where there was enough water for a natural forest, there is not enough the way they have been allowed to grow. Under logging practices, they would have thinned the trees letting the bigger ones grow, keeping the forest under control without over using the available water.

When the forest is dry, the beetles move in. Also the way the forests have gotten so filled with unnatural undergrowth, that also soaks up the water, making weak trees which are susceptible to beetles.

Indians before the white man, would burn forests a section at a time to make good grazing for deer, and other game animals. They kept them under control, so they do not burn like they do today.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 PM

837 posts, read 694,048 times
Right, so... if forests are not actively thinned, nature will do the job. Low precip + warm temps + trees = beetles.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:15 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,399,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Beetles come in when the forest is dry.

Natural forests are not near as thick with trees as the ones we have. There are several times per acre, with too many thin small trees that soak up the water. Where there was enough water for a natural forest, there is not enough the way they have been allowed to grow. Under logging practices, they would have thinned the trees letting the bigger ones grow, keeping the forest under control without over using the available water.

When the forest is dry, the beetles move in. Also the way the forests have gotten so filled with unnatural undergrowth, that also soaks up the water, making weak trees which are susceptible to beetles.

Indians before the white man, would burn forests a section at a time to make good grazing for deer, and other game animals. They kept them under control, so they do not burn like they do today.
I pretty much agree with your post. It's really just the implementation of "common sense".

46 years ago I lived 3 miles up a canyon ( at 6950') west of Boulder, CO. The infestation of Pine Bark Bettles was at that time, effecting about 20 to 25% of the Ponderosa Pines in this 7 mile long canyon (elevations from 5400 feet to 8500 feet.) I lived there for over 15 yrs and would estimate that about 15% of the infected trees were cut down and burned.

Now, I was back in that canyon for a visit 5 years ago and as far as the "tree density" is concerned.....it looked to me (just my opinion) that it was about the same as it was back in the 1970's. In other words, new younger trees trees have come along and replaced those lost to the bettle-kill... One thing that I did notice was that the amount of "underbrush" on the hill sides was about 50% less than when I lived there. Thus more moisture was available to the roots of the Ponderosa.

(SIDE BAR NOTE TO "OLDTRADER"): I believe in one of your posts, you mentioned Loveland, Co. Let me ask you this question: Is there still a "steak house" on the main drag, named either the "Angus Steakhouse" or possibly "The Black Steer"? It was a privately owned place back in the 1960's; 70's & 80's and served up a very good steak. I ate there with family and friends probably 50 times in that era.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,680,690 times
It was there last I heard. I ate there a lot in the 70s, and early 80s. Used to come in back where the sign said Rear Of The steer. You probably remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana