U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 PM

71 posts, read 267,420 times

Advertisements

What gets me is people think just b/c you live out in the country you can just let your dogs run free. Then they come over to our property and agitate our dogs. We actually had one who tried to dig IN to our backyard not to mention get into trash. One of our neighbors dogs (lab mix that just runs free) got attacked at 3am-4am one morning a year or so ago. We have american bulldogs and english mastiffs and we got a call saying our dogs attacked him. Our dogs aren't out past 11pm and they sleep inside in their "dog room" or w/ us. Just b/c we have large dogs he blamed us and we do the neighborly thing and keep ours in a fenced in yard. He didn't even consider that we have coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions and other stray dogs out here. To this day they give us bad looks when they see us, even though our dogs didn't do anything. Point of the story... being a good neighbor, no matter how many acres are inbetween, means to take care of any animal you own. Then EVERYONE is happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 21,542 times
In the Flathead, it is legal to shoot at the dogs if they get in with your animals. We have cattle. I have shot AT my neighbor's dogs who got in with our cows. Now that the neighbor knows we don't want dogs chasing our cattle, they have trained them to do that exact thing.

They feel they are entitled to let all of their animals run loose since they live in the country. Their attitude is such that, if something were to happen to the animals, they would just replace them and train them to chase/bite also.

I would never put my dog in harm's way like these people do.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,848,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jeans Blue Eyes View Post
In the Flathead, it is legal to shoot at the dogs if they get in with your animals. We have cattle. I have shot AT my neighbor's dogs who got in with our cows. Now that the neighbor knows we don't want dogs chasing our cattle, they have trained them to do that exact thing.

They feel they are entitled to let all of their animals run loose since they live in the country. Their attitude is such that, if something were to happen to the animals, they would just replace them and train them to chase/bite also.

I would never put my dog in harm's way like these people do.
Any human being that would intentionally train their dogs to chase other people's cattle, KNOWING that they might be shot, should be staked out in the middle of the field so that the cattle could stampede over them when they let their dogs loose.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:03 PM

71 posts, read 267,420 times
It is legal here also to shoot at dogs and people have the same mentality about replacing a dead dog, it's just a dog. It's sad. I love my dogs they are our children.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 AM

7 posts, read 16,584 times
very cold here[[-20s for a week at times]]for short haired breeds. I live in rural area and people only have 2 at the most here. Not sure about all the permits you have to run a kennel with. Fleas are here my neighbors put down one of their dogs cause of it. We also have mosquitos and nile virus during summer time in some places.
Snow doesnt do well on that breeds feet. There are some people up here with mastiffs and they complain about how they have to keep them indoors alot, especially up here at this elevation where i live, you have snow 6 months out of the year. They are serious here about dogs chasing elk, deer, moose and people love to shoot animals here. 1 out of 3 montanains hunt. Shooting a dog is not a bad thing to these people. Ive heard some dogs were mistaken for wolves and were shot.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 16,584 times
Good Grief GLS you dont train your animal to chase wildlife. you have to train them NOT too. its in their instincts to chase.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 AM
GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by morticia addams View Post
Good Grief GLS you dont train your animal to chase wildlife. you have to train them NOT too. its in their instincts to chase.
Good grief, Morticia. Please read the post I was responding to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jeans Blue Eyes View Post
...... Now that the neighbor knows we don't want dogs chasing our cattle, they have trained them to do that exact thing.
PS I have three Golden retrievers who are trained in Obedience and Field Trials. Goldens are always taught to politely introduce themselves to cattle, to inquire about the health of their family, and to ask them to stay for dinner if the cattle don't have to be home before dark.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:53 PM

7,543 posts, read 12,608,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
PS I have three Golden retrievers who are trained in Obedience and Field Trials. Goldens are always taught to politely introduce themselves to cattle, to inquire about the health of their family, and to ask them to stay for dinner if the cattle don't have to be home before dark.
LOL! Say, that looks like a good steak comin' our way... go introduce us.

Field trials, eh? I used to do that with my Labs... my neighbour has Goldens, her Bart son just got his JH last weekend. So what ya got?

The other day I went looking for what old hands were still around in the Butte club and found a pic of Beryl Zbitnoff running things... Geez, she must be a thousand years old by now, but still looks great. I last ran into Alex and Beryl in Arizona in 1988, just sheer chance!

http://www.findretrievers.com/news/w...butte-montana/
Man, most of the names I know were just starting off back when I was last active...

Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 PM
GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
LOL! Say, that looks like a good steak comin' our way... go introduce us.

Field trials, eh? I used to do that with my Labs... my neighbour has Goldens, her Bart son just got his JH last weekend. So what ya got?

The other day I went looking for what old hands were still around in the Butte club and found a pic of Beryl Zbitnoff running things... Geez, she must be a thousand years old by now, but still looks great. I last ran into Alex and Beryl in Arizona in 1988, just sheer chance!

http://www.findretrievers.com/news/w...butte-montana/
Man, most of the names I know were just starting off back when I was last active...
My wife probably knows some of the same people you do. For example, in the link you posted, Karl Gunzer, who finished third with Bowie's Revenge in the Open, was her previous trainer. Current trainer is Rob Earnhardt from Mission Valley.

To answer your question, our dogs are:

Maverick's West Coast Offense MH, WCX
Maverick's TumblinTumbleweed UD, SH, WCX, Can WCX
Ruby's Redfish Mo's Mountain Gem, Qualified All Age at 29 months, First
Place Win.

Although I am quite proud of these dogs, all credit goes to my wife and her trainers. I am the pack mule spouse that follows along behind carrying cages, bumpers, etc. When the weather is cold and rainy, I sit in the truck with my old retired dog. He munches cookies and I drink hot coffee while we watch my wife and her crazy friends slogging through the mud in their camo rain gear.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:35 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,608,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
<snip>
Although I am quite proud of these dogs, all credit goes to my wife and her trainers. I am the pack mule spouse that follows along behind carrying cages, bumpers, etc. When the weather is cold and rainy, I sit in the truck with my old retired dog. He munches cookies and I drink hot coffee while we watch my wife and her crazy friends slogging through the mud in their camo rain gear.
Haha, that's exactly why I'm not a duck hunter

Pretty good accomplishments, especially for swamp collies Lot of work to succeed in today's field trials. When I was in it you'd sometimes still see a mere 90 yard double in Open and 30-yard singles in Derby. Not today!!

Back then I didn't have the $$$$$ to really pursue it so I only ran the club stakes. Lessee, who was around then... besides the Zbitnoffs... and comes to mind without digging out an old catalog (I remember dogs, not people!)... Walt and Irene Baird, Guy Burnett, Doc Ryan, the Fangsruds had just got their first puppy, Don Remien when he and Betsy were still married, Pete and Rona Jones up from Calif (man, now I really feel old!), and then Chuck Crook would come along with his truckful of dogs, and take all four Open ribbons!!

Wayne and Chuck moved to Oklahoma, right down the road from a guy I know there... last time I heard from him he said Wayne had just turned 92 and was still training every day. Let that be a lesson to ya... if you're a dog trainer, you'll never make enough money to retire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana