U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:36 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,836,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Haha, that's exactly why I'm not a duck hunter

Pretty good accomplishments, especially for swamp collies Lot of work to succeed in today's field trials. When I was in it you'd sometimes still see a mere 90 yard double in Open and 30-yard singles in Derby. Not today!!

Back then I didn't have the $$$$$ to really pursue it so I only ran the club stakes. Lessee, who was around then... besides the Zbitnoffs... and comes to mind without digging out an old catalog (I remember dogs, not people!)... Walt and Irene Baird, Guy Burnett, Doc Ryan, the Fangsruds had just got their first puppy, Don Remien when he and Betsy were still married, Pete and Rona Jones up from Calif (man, now I really feel old!), and then Chuck Crook would come along with his truckful of dogs, and take all four Open ribbons!!

Wayne and Chuck moved to Oklahoma, right down the road from a guy I know there... last time I heard from him he said Wayne had just turned 92 and was still training every day. Let that be a lesson to ya... if you're a dog trainer, you'll never make enough money to retire!
Yeah, my wife tells me the "game" is much tougher now, with quads, 400 yard blinds,etc. As an observer, I don't like the politics, pro vs amateur prejudice, and the fact that if a stake starts with 95 dogs the judges feel the pressure to wash out half of them the first series. As a naive non-handler, I always root for every dog. I guess that's why I like Junior in the Hunt tests. The dogs run around like a bunch of wild puppies, just having a great time, and celebrating if they find a bird. That much innocence and joy puts a smile on my face in this otherwise depressing world.

Your post also shows its' a small world. Our friend Judy Bly lives across the road from Don Remien, and we've trained on his land. Also, we live just down the road from Eric Fangsrud.

I'm going to quit now since I think we hijacked the original intent of this thread. Nice talking to ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 05:49 PM

14 posts, read 29,483 times
My dog is almost 13 - never had fleas and there are NO SNAKES here in the NW corner of Montana. I have seen one green snake in 13 years. No others.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:07 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,567,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I guess that's why I like Junior in the Hunt tests. The dogs run around like a bunch of wild puppies, just having a great time, and celebrating if they find a bird. That much innocence and joy puts a smile on my face in this otherwise depressing world.

Your post also shows its' a small world. Our friend Judy Bly lives across the road from Don Remien, and we've trained on his land. Also, we live just down the road from Eric Fangsrud.

I'm going to quit now since I think we hijacked the original intent of this thread. Nice talking to ya!
Small world

Don's website has some pictures, looks like he's got some great training areas! -- Someone recently had a big retriever-training setup for sale west of Great Falls -- I was wondering if it was Dr.Bartlett's old place, but never got around to checking. My uncle lived a few miles further up the same road, out near Vaughn.

Yeah, I like the basic tests too, when it's mostly the dog doing what the dog can do from talent and instinct, instead of depending so much on the training (and the expertise level of the trainer). Hunt tests are getting too training-oriented now too, even at the Junior level. Long tough marks and cheating tests in Junior, no less

Funny thing, all the southerners complain about how tough the allage stakes are in MT compared to down here... forgetting that MT was one of the original hotbeds of FTs!

I remember way-back-when Billy Wunderlich moved to St.Ignatius, and that started an avalanche of new retriever trainers moving into the area In that era he was the go-to guy for solving training problems no one else could.

This is still about dogs in the Flathead area, right?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:08 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,836,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Small world

Don's website has some pictures, looks like he's got some great training areas! -- Someone recently had a big retriever-training setup for sale west of Great Falls -- I was wondering if it was Dr.Bartlett's old place, but never got around to checking. My uncle lived a few miles further up the same road, out near Vaughn.

Yeah, I like the basic tests too, when it's mostly the dog doing what the dog can do from talent and instinct, instead of depending so much on the training (and the expertise level of the trainer). Hunt tests are getting too training-oriented now too, even at the Junior level. Long tough marks and cheating tests in Junior, no less

Funny thing, all the southerners complain about how tough the allage stakes are in MT compared to down here... forgetting that MT was one of the original hotbeds of FTs!

I remember way-back-when Billy Wunderlich moved to St.Ignatius, and that started an avalanche of new retriever trainers moving into the area In that era he was the go-to guy for solving training problems no one else could.

This is still about dogs in the Flathead area, right?
I hope its still about dogs. You can't train snakes.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I hope its still about dogs. You can't train snakes.
Well, you can, but it's on the level of "I'm the one who brings you your dinner mouse." Even my pet spider of some years back figured that one out.

Funny experience involving dogs and a snake: I had a piece of plywood in the corner of the yard to keep overly-busy dogs from digging there. One day I saw a bunch of young dogs bouncing on the plywood, then leaping back like it stung 'em, over and over, and eventually I had to go see what the heck they were doing. Moved the plywood and up leaps this 3 foot long gopher snake -- straight at me!! It wrapped itself around my arm and wouldn't let go. I'd guess it had been someone's pet, so it knew what humans were and figured I was rescuing it from those big bad dogs!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 AM

299 posts, read 485,380 times
Default Help me understand ......

I've been sitting here for about 10 minutes trying to decide if I should post my thoughts.. But what started out as just putting my 2 cents in, has truly become a question.. And one I've decided to take the opportunity to try to get an answer for it .. because I honestly don't understand..
----------------------------------------------------------

There is no one more for being left alone than I.. ( not to lump myself in with hermits and such ).. I'm ALL about minding my own business and having the govt and other people keep out of mine.. But the ONE thing that DOES get me going is dogs..

I run alot.. And I'm frequently meanaced by dogs.. And it REALLY gets to me.. NO person should ever have to deal with someone's dog... And all those luvable pets seem to change their personality when they get out on their own.. " I thought he was in the yard ... But he's always so well behaved ... I have kids, and he's fine with them ... I just went in the house for a minute." .... Hearing ANY of those makes my head explode.. DOGS ALWAYS GET OUT !!.. Everytime I hear about a child being killed by the neighbors pit bull, or even their own pit bull, I want to go over there and blow the owner's head off.. You may have raised a pussycat .. but in those moments when they DO revert back to their nature, they can do an inordinate amount of damage .. and are relentless.. If you enjoy dogs, there are countless other breeds you could raise.. Many very interesting ones.. And plenty of hunting dogs you can sell.. WHY THE LARGE DANGEROUS BREEDS?

Anyone who has those type of dogs come onto their property, and DOESN'T shoot them, is just plain foolish... And if you're going to raise those breeds, don't be surprised if people treat them like wild predators..Again, I apologize for injecting a sour note here.. I know everyone here is well meaning.. But I just had to put in a word for all the runners .. and for the innocent victims of dog attacks.. And YES, I understand that its not the dog's fault that they are designed and built the way they are.. But the people who continue to raise them KNOW their capabilities .. and their potential.. and continue to put their desires ahead of all else.

I can ( almost ) deal with all the journalists, and aclu lawyers, and californians .. (and their kids) .. and the muslims, and the illegals, and EVERY other form of pestilence ...... " but Lord .. PLEASE save me from other peoples dogs.

Maybe the point of my post is just that I don't understand.. So for me .. and everyone else who doesn't understand ..... Please explain to me .. WHY must you raise these breeds of dog????? ( and please don't say that any dog can be dangerous .. I realize that .. but you have to admit .. there IS a difference in potential .. a large difference )

tiberius

Old 05-07-2010, 07:30 PM

299 posts, read 485,380 times
Default " The Telltale Post " .. by tiberius allen poe

Well .. its been ten hours since my post and I'm feeling kinda guilty about putting it on.. Its just that when things don't make any sense to me, well, it drives me a little nuts.. Didn't mean it to come off sounding as accusatory as it did.. No one said anything about it.. Just been beating MYSELF up about it, ( lol ).. My apologies to anyone I might have offended..

tiberius

Old 05-07-2010, 11:40 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,350,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Well .. its been ten hours since my post and I'm feeling kinda guilty about putting it on.. Its just that when things don't make any sense to me, well, it drives me a little nuts.. Didn't mean it to come off sounding as accusatory as it did.. No one said anything about it.. Just been beating MYSELF up about it, ( lol ).. My apologies to anyone I might have offended..

tiberius
Not offensive to me. I feel the same way, just not as strong. I've got a dog that just turned a year on 15 April. I've trained her to break from whatever is going on, no matter what.

The neighbor has a new batch of puppies. My dog likes playing with them. I'll let her play for a bit and then give her a word and she'll immediately break and come to me.

The other day, 2 dogs running loose wandered by. My dog started to go after them. I waited until she was about 100 ft out and I gave her the word. She turned immediately and come back and sat down next to me. But she kept watching them.

However. When I leave the 5 acres, my dog is on a leash, period. Also, she's never left the place and I just let her run loose when I'm outside. But I'm out in the country and we don't have people walking by.

I agree. Loose dogs are dangerous. Bikes crash while being chased. If you are pushing your 1 yr old in a stroller, their life can be in danger.

But, I feel training is everything. If a dog acts up it's because he has not been trained properly. There are breeds that are more difficult to train. I won't own them.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 05-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Elk is right, and I speak as a professional dog trainer/breeder. Unsupervised dogs are prone to become a hazard, and breed or level of trainability or whatever else are all irrelevant. Dogs will be dogs, and ANY dog can revert to wolf behaviour if circumstances are right.

Almost any dog will chase and often nip in the process, just because that's what dogs DO when no one tells 'em different (and enforces it -- Elk handles his dog just right).

I also don't have a problem with shooting a dog that becomes a hazard, and have done so myself.

Now, as to morons who challenge a flock guardian that is doing its job (and there have been a few cases of that lately) -- well, I don't have a lot of sympathy for 'em. One of the things people aren't teaching their kids anymore is to leave strange dogs the hell alone. Oh, but we're all supposed to be "social" with everyone!! Well, not if a working dog is to do its job. Read the italics section of this blog entry (I wrote that section):

Time 4 Dogs: Barking Moonbats

You don't play with guns. You don't play with razorblades. You don't play with strange dogs. All have their uses and all have their dangers. Likewise you don't leave loaded guns, or razorblades, or dogs, laying around where anyone can unwittingly trip over them. But if you stick your hand into the gun cabinet and squeeze triggers at random, or root in the bathroom trash, you're liable to have a bloody surprise. Same if you intrude yourself into a working dog's legitimate space.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:23 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,866,770 times
To the OP, I would check with the county to see about any licensing requirements for a dog breeding operation. The Flathead Valley is filling up fast and along with the crowds come more rules.

The last time I had contact with a stray dog was quite funny.
I heard a bunch of commotion in front of one of our properties, (in downtown Conrad, not the Flathead area) and there were several policemen chasing a very scared puppy about in the middle of main street trying to catch it. After a few minutes of laughing at this "keystone cops" scene I decided to just go get the dog for them.
It was so easy, all I did was go and sit down on the sidewalk and the poor scared puppy jumped in my lap !
I held it and tried to calm him down by petting him. I then helped the chief put one of my extra leashes on him and load him into the squad car for a trip to the holding cell. The owners were eventually found, a young hippie looking couple who looked a bit wasted. I dressed the guy down for under-feeding the poor skinny thing and his reply was "I just fed that dog four pounds of chicken last night".
Yea right and if that was true then I'm Oprah Winfrey. If he really did give his puppy four pounds of chicken for dinner I would have dressed him down for that , (and he claimed to be a dog trainer too !). These folks looked like they were on the verge of homelessness but said they were "on vacation"
Some people just should not have pets, let alone work animals, especially when they can barely take care of themselves.
Don't get me started on all the people who have horses that seem to be in dire need of better husbandry. I find myself in a conflicting situation wanting to mind my own business while feeling the need to report animal abuse when I see a mistreated animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana