U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2007, 03:13 PM

12 posts, read 226,590 times
I'm in Libby (about 90 miles west of Kalispell) and yes, there are Hobo Spiders in this area. I have never personally dealt with any, but I've heard they are around.

Most of the spiders I see are the "catface" spiders. They are "good" spiders They mostly live under the eaves of barns, houses and shops where light is prevelant as they eat insects. They look VERY scary...but they are good to keep around! I usually have 3 or 4 around my house during the summer months and they are usually named

I don't think the spiders are nearly as dangerous as the politicians
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 05:18 PM

7,917 posts, read 10,930,535 times

Just out of curiosity I found a photo of one of these little fellas. I hope I never see one in person.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:25 PM

719 posts, read 1,944,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

Just out of curiosity I found a photo of one of these little fellas. I hope I never see one in person.

Brown Recluse? Very common here in So Cal

Old 02-22-2007, 08:28 AM

7,917 posts, read 10,930,535 times
Quote:
Brown Recluse?
I did a google search for images looking for hobo spiders and this is one that came up. It does look like a brown recluse but so did the other photos. I wonder if hobo spiders is just another term for the same critter.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:27 PM

719 posts, read 1,944,418 times
OK I also found pics of each. They are not the same, although very similar in symptom and appearance. I don't plan to get close enough to tell the difference, because if I see one, it's gorna die.
Hobo Spider
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/johnyjeep/hobospider.jpg (broken link)

Brown Recluse
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/johnyjeep/brownrecluse.jpg (broken link)

I bet all the girls are just getting the Heebee Jeebees right now

Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 AM

174 posts, read 600,668 times
I found this thread as I was searching for Montana spider info. We just left Spokane and a whole bunch of hobo spiders. They are BAD news. They creep into houses and are very aggressive. I am pretty accustomed to spiders but when I saw a giant one in our Spokane house I actually screamed. It was SO big! As we moved out more came from the nooks and crannies of our basement. BLEH! Gives me the heeby geebies for sure. One way to identify hobos are the solid legs. Some other look alikes have banded legs.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:59 AM

6,044 posts, read 6,083,846 times
Hobo spiders are often mistaken for the brown recluse. Brown recluse do not live in the northwestern U.S. The hobo spiders in our area (Hot Springs) mostly dig a ground burrow and spins a funnel web at the entrance. They have a nasty flesh eating bite. Very few people get bit however, I have never been bitten and I have thousands of them in my yard. They help me get rid of yellow jackets and grasshoppers.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:43 PM

33 posts, read 136,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orygun View Post
They creep into houses and are very aggressive. I am pretty accustomed to spiders but when I saw a giant one in our Spokane house I actually screamed. It was SO big!
They've been known to carry off small children and/or pets. See them in the house on occasion, and usually they're running away. Check yer shoes.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 AM

6,044 posts, read 6,083,846 times
They really start moving indoors when the nights start to get chilly. Besides checking shoes it's good to check your bed for these guys before climbing in at night. If you're in the habit of tossing clothes on the floor and then putting them back on the next day you might just get a spider bite.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:55 PM

174 posts, read 600,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrospokane View Post
They've been known to carry off small children and/or pets. See them in the house on occasion, and usually they're running away. Check yer shoes.
Ha!

I ALWAYS shake my shoes out and the same with clothes that have been sitting. Just never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana