Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 10:10 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times

Advertisements

If I move anywhere, I plan to stay with my company and make a lateral transfer. Luckily, there are offices all over the country. Here are the offices in Montana:

Billings
Bozeman
Great Falls
Kalispell
Missoula

What are the biggest, most obvious differences between these various cities? Is the climate much different? If I live outside these cities and commute in, what are the highways like, etc.?

GiftShoppeGuy, I'm sorry that Kalispell and Missoula are on this list. But I have to start my research somewhere...

Thanks to everyone who responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I'd pick between Bozeman, Missoula and Kalispell from that list. I wouldn't choose the others. Bozeman and Missoula are both college towns and I think that adds alot to a town in terms of things to do, cultural, etc. Missoula has always been the most liberal town in Montana politically which appeals to me because I'm moderate to liberal in my views and some of Montana is just too redneck and conservative for me, but of course that's my own view and might not be yours. You really don't want to consider commuting from an outlying town into one of these cities. Winter driving is no fun when a storm comes through. All three cities will of course get pretty cold but will have nice summers. All three are also situated in scenic areas. Kalispell is at the north end of Flathead Lake which is beautiful but now has become expensive. I'd pick Missoula but that's just me. Check them out and see what you think.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:54 AM

529 posts, read 1,892,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If I move anywhere, I plan to stay with my company and make a lateral transfer. Luckily, there are offices all over the country. Here are the offices in Montana:

Billings
Bozeman
Great Falls
Kalispell
Missoula

What are the biggest, most obvious differences between these various cities? Is the climate much different? If I live outside these cities and commute in, what are the highways like, etc.?

GiftShoppeGuy, I'm sorry that Kalispell and Missoula are on this list. But I have to start my research somewhere...

Thanks to everyone who responds.
No need to be sorry.....

The top 2, of course would be
Great Falls
Billings
with Bozeman picking up the rear...... heh heh...

Billings has always been the largest city in Montana...... it's been the largest for many years, and though Montana is growing fairly quickly these days, Billings has had the experience of being large.. so it handles traffic and growth pretty well.

Likewise with Great Falls. Once the second largest, it was planned for growth capacity as far back as the late 1800's........ Commutes in this town are also easy on the mind. Growth is handled in stride here.

With that said, I'll move on to the 3 others:

Bozeman, Kalispell and Missoula are experiencing some rather difficult growth pangs of late. Traffic is a bearcat... folks are not quite as polite, ..... you will find a general attitude in these 3, that differs very little from the attitudes you find where you are now.

Roads, for the most part, in Great Falls and Billings are wide.... due to their regular size and growth over the past 100 years, whereas roads in places like Kalispell and Missoula are tight and close.... narrow........ These two are trying to adjust to the growth..... many of the roads were built to accomodate a much lower population.

Climate, vs East and west, is pretty simple.......

Winter in Billings/Great Falls.... sunny and clear
Missoula and Kalispell...... cloudy and gloomy

The Gallatin Valley clears out really well in the winter too so you will find more sun than none there.

As far as folks being friendly??...

Well out of all of the cities you've mentioned... Bozeman is the "least" friendly out of all of them.... never used to be that way, but things change.....

Billings and Great Falls are the friendliest equally..... with the other two, chasing us down the road in second place.

If you choose Great Falls or Billings areas, you will be coming into communities that can still hold their own with regard to organic wages, and fairly priced homes. Billings Montana boasts a population of nearly 100,000 and the city wears it well, same with Great Falls, with it's population of just over 69,000... (Geographically, Billings (the magic city) has one of the largest trade areas in the United States, serving more than 350,000 people.)

The other 3, Bozeman, Missoula, Kalispell cannot hold their own organicly any more, and homes are priced beyond the moon in another galaxy somewhere.

You will experience Montana as it was meant to be experienced in Billings or Great Falls... whereas, the other 3 is just an experience......

There are more natives living in or around Great Falls and Billings by 90% over the other 3.... so if you want good neighbors..... these are the places to be......

We can't rule out Helena or Butte either...... I know you didn't mention them, but I thought them worthy of mention, because the real Montana still exists in them, like with Great Falls and Billings.

There may be a few other places south of Bozeman that could suit you, but do keep in mind, our dearly beloved gallatin valley area is getting beat up pretty bad these days, and is running the road to ruin, just like the Bitterroot.

I don't have comment on just where you can live outside of Kalispell..... in my opinion, all roads leading in are congested. Doesn't matter where really..... short of US 93, you're going to be in for narrow roads and a whole bunch-o-folks from California...... "not a good combination"

You may choose the French Town area and points west of Missoula for your living arrangements there.... you've got the interstate to help you through in order to get to work.

You might try Lockwood possibly for Billings, or even Laurel if you don't mind a 15 to 20 minute commute.
And for Great Falls.... Cascade, Vaughn or Belt, all about 20 minutes out.

In Bozeman, it's a crap shoot as to where you might live outside of the city..... the further out you get on the interstate would be best... it's much easier on the eyes, and less expensive to actually live...... possibly Manhattan... possibly.....

It's good that you do research..... many who come here don't.

Incidently, I live in Great Falls...... Moved here from The Zoo (missoula) in '91 and lordy lordy, I never looked back......

Old 02-18-2007, 12:24 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times
One thing to consider is that Great Falls and Billings are very flat compared to Missoula, Kalispell, and Bozeman. You can make out the Rocky Mountain front way off in the distance in GF, and Billings has the rimrocks, but besides that, it's flat. Dunno if you want mountains or not, but many people who move to Montana DO want mountains. Although I will say that you can drive westward from GF and be in the mountains easily enough.

Missoula, Kalispell, and Bozeman are different from the rest of the state. Slightly more pollution, slightly more traffic, and perhaps slightly more rudeness. But they're in stunning locations geographically. And they're doing well, economically speaking. Only you can tell whether or not you'd like to live in those areas by visiting... the differences between say Missoula and Billings may seem a lot more subtle to you than they would to a native Montanan.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:53 AM

Thank you, everyone! This is great information!!! I love City-Data!

I'm now thinking of taking a trip this summer, so I can see these cities for myself. This will be the "econo-trip" since I'm not independently wealthy (Super 8 motels, etc.). Looking into airline flights, the cheapest round trip would be to Great Falls. This is still in the planning stages, but if nothing else, I would love to visit Montana as a tourist and see what it's like.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:30 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:

I'm now thinking of taking a trip this summer, so I can see these cities for myself. This will be the "econo-trip" since I'm not independently wealthy (Super 8 motels, etc.). Looking into airline flights, the cheapest round trip would be to Great Falls. This is still in the planning stages, but if nothing else, I would love to visit Montana as a tourist and see what it's like.
If you're not opposed to camping, there are a lot of spots along the way worthy of pitching a tent. I've done a couple trips like that over the years, with motel stays every third night or so along the way, but it also means driving there, as opposed to flying. I feel that I become much more in tune with the area by doing so, since I'm more apt to get outdoors more quickly than when I'm in a motel room. If it's just you, then pitching a tent for one does seem like a lot of work. I'm looking forward to doing this when I return to Montana on vacation!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:10 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times
Quote:

Maybe my wife and I will see you there this summer We're shooting for 2 week period around the 4th of July to visit there, along with WY and the ID panhandle. Lots of ground to cover in 2 weeks for us.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
If you're not opposed to camping, there are a lot of spots along the way worthy of pitching a tent. I've done a couple trips like that over the years, with motel stays every third night or so along the way, but it also means driving there, as opposed to flying. I feel that I become much more in tune with the area by doing so, since I'm more apt to get outdoors more quickly than when I'm in a motel room. If it's just you, then pitching a tent for one does seem like a lot of work. I'm looking forward to doing this when I return to Montana on vacation!
At the risk of sounding like a classic California wimp, I don't know the first thing about camping! My tent would probably blow away, and I'd end up sleeping in my car. Not to mention that it would take me at least two days, probably three, to drive up there (and the same to drive back, of course). I'd rather spend the time in each city looking around. But thanks for the thought, and yes, it would just be me unless I could convince my son to go with me, which is doubtful.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns65vette View Post
Maybe my wife and I will see you there this summer We're shooting for 2 week period around the 4th of July to visit there, along with WY and the ID panhandle. Lots of ground to cover in 2 weeks for us.
Wow, you're very ambitious! Of course, you're taking two weeks, which is doable. I'm taking a day in each of the five cities I'm considering. Your fingers will be glued to the steering wheel by the time you're done, though! I wish you both the best of luck, and that you find something perfect.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:46 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times
Quote:
Wow, you're very ambitious! Of course, you're taking two weeks, which is doable. I'm taking a day in each of the five cities I'm considering. Your fingers will be glued to the steering wheel by the time you're done, though! I wish you both the best of luck, and that you find something perfect.
Thanks.
It's basically going to be a city-narrow-downer trip, to narrow it down. Then go back during the harsh winter months to see what it's like again. Then hopefully next year, buy a property somewhere. Maybe with any luck Californias housing slump will happen elsewhere, allowing natives and outsiers alike, the chance to get a house/land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana