Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Are there any firework displays near your house, jimj???
Ooooh yeah, the biggest has to be Eddie Debartolo's house, the former owner of the S.F. 49rs. He has a massive party always with a big named band. 2 years ago it was Journey playing and I think Earth Wind and Fire was last year. If your lucky enough to get an invite it's great, if not then the fireworks display can be seen all around the airport area. Then there's the city of Whitefish who does a display out on the lake which is really good. Then there's all my neighbors that spend many $$$ on everything that flies or booms. If you're really,really brave you go up to the canyon where everyone collects right next to the hwy in Hungry Horse and it litterally looks like a war zone. I'd bet upwards of 5k worth of fireworks are shot in HH by the insane locals.

We used to spend a couple hundred on fireworks but figured out if we go sit at our friends house off 206 and Badrock Dr we could see everyone else spend their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 11:03 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
Quote:
Are there any firework displays near your house, jimj???
I will visit Montana in 2009. What a fine state.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:46 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
Yellowstone and Glacier for sure-Bigfork marina has an unbelievable firewords display-that is right by Kalispell-Montana just has so much to see and you have so little time. Yellowstone is something everybody should experience don't pass that one up.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:20 AM

373 posts, read 1,852,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
You better check out Lewis and Clark Caverns. Its near Three Forks. Very cool!
I agree! You'll get a little hike, some good views, etc., and your kids will love it. While you're in the area, check out the Willow Creek Cafe in Willow Creek, Montana. It's in the area but off the main road but off the beaten path; the food is awesome and the atmosphere is very Montana-y. Try the ribs. It would be fine for kids, too. The adult full meals are a little spendy compared to some of the other cafes (like 15-20 bucks for dinner), but it's worth the stop.

If I were you, I'd probably stay in Three Forks then and head off to Virginia and Nevada City the next day. They're real ghost towns. Actually, Virginia City is a regular town, too. Very interesting! The kids will probablly really like it, too.

Another thing that's really fun is the interpretative tour of Gates of the Mountains in the Helena area. You get an ecology lesson, a geology lesson, a history lesson about Lewis and Clark, etc. all on a cool reasonably priced boat ride. There's also about a 50% chance you'll see bighorn sheep and a small chance you'll see a mountain goat.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:24 AM

373 posts, read 1,852,551 times
Quote:
I'd recommend the Flathead Valley (Kalispell and Whitefish) area. It's the prettiest part of the state and there are tons of things to do there, from hiking, fishing, lakes, etc. Go there and you won't regret it as long as you go in July, August, or September. June is rainy.
Probably true about the weather up there!

But if you are going to SW Montana...
I disagree. Yes, it is the rainiest month but it usually stops raining around June 20. I keep track every year. At least in SW Montana, that is. Then around the 4th of July to the third week in August, it's usually 90-105. Too hot for me because I am a hiker! August is nicer at the tail end but there are a lot of hornets in some of the places I'm suggesting you visit. They forage a lot in August.

June is my favorite month of the year here. The flowers are beautiful and the mountains are still green.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 AM

355 posts, read 1,146,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
I agree! You'll get a little hike, some good views, etc., and your kids will love it. While you're in the area, check out the Willow Creek Cafe in Willow Creek, Montana. It's in the area but off the main road but off the beaten path; the food is awesome and the atmosphere is very Montana-y.
Make sure you check out the bullet holes in the ceiling; don't think they've ever been patched up. Won't tell you when they were made....

Old 11-13-2008, 11:42 AM

438 posts, read 1,730,561 times
We were there summer of 2007 & 2008 and my husband is an avid outdoorsman also. We camped and then every few days we'd stay in a hotel for a night. The best thing we did was to buy a road atlas. We went down some really cool dirt roads and camped in some nice out of the way campgrounds that we found on the atlas.

Area around Red Lodge was very beautiful - found some kind of tooth hiking but don't know what kind of animal. Saw our first 'wild' elk (not in any kind of park) east of Ashland in summer 2007. Saw and heard bears on Mount Edith in Big Belt Mtns (I renamed it Scary Mtn).

Our daughter (8 yo) enjoyed the carousel, watching kayakers, and the Elk Foundation in Missoula. She wanted to move to Missoula. Then we went to Helena and she decided she'd rather live there . The trolley car tour through Helena is very informative. I thought the Capitol building was beautiful. I think it was the Historical Society Museum in Helena we also enjoyed. Our daughter loves museums (esp old west type museums) so we try to go to as many as possible.

Our trip was very reasonable (except for gas - prices were pretty high this past summer).

Hope your family has as much fun as ours did!

Dea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana