Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:00 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepVeteran View Post
I agree with alot of the things being stated on these type of threads about outsiders. I'm looking to relocate later this year & it's because 1.) I hate the bigger city & suburban life. 2.) I need to find a job, there is nothing where I am at. 3.) Montana has alot of beautiful land & highway. It would be nice for a change to not get stuck in traffic everyday.
Then don't move top Billings. While it may be true that our rush hour traffic is nothing like the "big cities" like Seattle or San Francisco, when you get bumper to bumper traffic in all three available lanes it can't get any worse!
Until some guy disrupts the flow so he can make a right turn (at 5 mph) to go get a cup of coffee at the roadside kiosk.
Then, of course, he has to force his way back into traffic.
but, he winds up in the right lane, but he has to make a left turn in a block or so, so he starts making a further mess of things trying to move over, and nobody want to let him in, so...
Maybe it isn't all that much different!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:34 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
The people that do not fit into Montana are those that want Montanans to fit into their mold, not fit into Montana ways and lifestyles. They want to bring their lifestyle that they feel is superior to Montana, and wants Montana to change to provide it. And they let everyone know they consider them to be a bunch of uneducated hicks.

If one comes in and is willing to change to fit into Montana they will be very welcome, and have no problems. If you want something from Macy's or Victoria Secret, don't complain there are none of their favorite stores here there is always the Internet so you can get anything you want. Don't go around and complain because you do not have the shopping, or this, or that you had back home. If you keep reminding people how superior it was where you come from, you will never be accepted or happy in Montana.

Montanans like it like it is. Small towns, not big cities. Small town values, not big city attitudes and values.

Oregon governor set the trend in the state, when their official motto a few years ago was 'Come to Oregon. Leave Money. Then Leave'. Montana is not like that. It is very receptive to new comers. Receptive if they are willing to act like the Montanans not constantly complaining about what is not here, and looking down on Montana and Montanans.

Montanans don't want to change. They like it like it is.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM

101 posts, read 219,070 times
I have lived and raised kids in AZ, NM, Maryland, Washington DC, Idaho.

Won't go back to any of those places for what we have found in MT!

Family has lived here for years...now I'm here with my family...I am trying desperately to stay.

Job pay a lot less, a lot of competition for what few decient paying jobs there are.

But for a country living, can't beat it!

Just leave the city mindset and attitude behind and you will be fine and fit right in...

Don't like the mindset or small town midset???? LEAVE!! and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,189 times
There are one or two posters in the Colorado forum that should see the first post in this thread, and some of the replies...

The trend of the so-called "natives" bringing their bad attitudes to the forums trying to repel newcomers is really irritating, and is happening in all the Western states' forums. I'm glad to know it's not just the CO forum and its threads being spammed with that nonsense. Maybe not glad, but that sense of "Well at least it isn't JUST us."

I have yet to visit Montana, but I know when I do I will love it! If I ever moved there, I would take full advantage of its outdoor opportunities.

Also, I wouldn't worry about your population. Even if Billings became the next Denver, it's just Billings. Most small Montana towns probably wouldn't change, and Montana is huge! Even if Billings, Bozeman, Helena, etc. became like Denver (which would take a hell of a long time), those who wish to have the small town living could still EASILY find it.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 AM

214 posts, read 601,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
There are one or two posters in the Colorado forum that should see the first post in this thread, and some of the replies...

The trend of the so-called "natives" bringing their bad attitudes to the forums trying to repel newcomers is really irritating, and is happening in all the Western states' forums. I'm glad to know it's not just the CO forum and its threads being spammed with that nonsense. Maybe not glad, but that sense of "Well at least it isn't JUST us."

I have yet to visit Montana, but I know when I do I will love it! If I ever moved there, I would take full advantage of its outdoor opportunities.

Also, I wouldn't worry about your population. Even if Billings became the next Denver, it's just Billings. Most small Montana towns probably wouldn't change, and Montana is huge! Even if Billings, Bozeman, Helena, etc. became like Denver (which would take a hell of a long time), those who wish to have the small town living could still EASILY find it.
Tony, I don't know if your old enough to remember but it was that oil boom money from Texas that really got Colorado growing back in the '70's. We have the same likely situation over here on our eastern border with a lot of new money flowing into our state from our oil boom. It will change things here, almost sure of it.

Also, people like to move after a recession and they start to have money in their pocket again. They're looking at states that made it through ok. If Montana were a stock, I'd say our P/E ratio is pretty good. It happened in Arizona, where I came from, back in the early '90's. There were no jobs in the state at that time but the California people still came. Anything could happen, even in the small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana