Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 01:37 PM

152 posts, read 627,913 times

Advertisements

Question?
I really want to blend in when I move up, without looking like I am blending in. Since I am going to be very busy trying to settle in, and working, what's the best way to acclimate into a new community when kids aren't involved? Any tips?
I will be in that area south of Missoula, and although we have established friendships near us, I would like to not stand out like a sore thumb.
I'm a jeans and sweatshirt kind of person, barefoot whenever able to be (oftentimes when I shouldn't be) and far from being a "city" person.
I hate the phrasing "where I come from" as I hear that from nurses who come from bigger hospitals than mine, and my answer is: if it was so much better, why did you leave? Be assured, I have no intention of foisting that on Montanans..as far as I'm concerned the only thing California has that you don't is my beloved ocean with it's crashing waves, fog and mist.
I'll by a video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 01:43 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,941 times
Default fitting in

fbcobrn - just don't utter the phrase "where I came from", wear the jeans and sweatshirt and you'll be fine. That drives me crazy when people say "Where I came from ..." I agree with you. If it was so great there - why did they leave.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Get yourself a beatup old pickup truck and put a bunch of anti-everything bumper stickers on the back. Be sure to get a gun rack for the rear window and you should probably get some cowboy boots and get them all scuffed up so it doesn't look like you just bought them. Maybe you should also start chewing tobacco. I'm just kidding, be yourself and try to find people you have things in common with. Having new friends can make all the difference in the world. I'm sure you won't have any problem.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:44 PM

Default chuckles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Get yourself a beatup old pickup truck and put a bunch of anti-everything bumper stickers on the back. Be sure to get a gun rack for the rear window and you should probably get some cowboy boots and get them all scuffed up so it doesn't look like you just bought them. Maybe you should also start chewing tobacco. I'm just kidding, be yourself and try to find people you have things in common with. Having new friends can make all the difference in the world. I'm sure you won't have any problem.
OMG... I needed a chuckle today
I already plan on getting a beat-up 'ole Jeep for bombing around town; own the scuffed-up boots already; thanks, I'll stick to chewing gum; and I can find all kinds of stickers for the Jeep.
Oh yeah...and change those license plates as soon as I can.
Dear hubby can have the easy-rider rifle rack, I'm a pistol person myself.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:13 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcobrn View Post
Question?
I really want to blend in when I move up, without looking like I am blending in. Since I am going to be very busy trying to settle in, and working, what's the best way to acclimate into a new community when kids aren't involved? Any tips?
I will be in that area south of Missoula, and although we have established friendships near us, I would like to not stand out like a sore thumb.
I'm a jeans and sweatshirt kind of person, barefoot whenever able to be (oftentimes when I shouldn't be) and far from being a "city" person.
I hate the phrasing "where I come from" as I hear that from nurses who come from bigger hospitals than mine, and my answer is: if it was so much better, why did you leave? Be assured, I have no intention of foisting that on Montanans..as far as I'm concerned the only thing California has that you don't is my beloved ocean with it's crashing waves, fog and mist.
I'll by a video

I think I have also heard mention on either this forum or another to "Keep quiet for 4 years, so as to learn how things are done". That's one of my plans.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:29 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,527 times
After reading these boards you will think everybody is against new folks coming here. When you get here you will find that to not be the case. People here are very nice. You will fit in fine Im sure.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:01 PM

373 posts, read 1,853,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
After reading these boards you will think everybody is against new folks coming here. When you get here you will find that to not be the case. People here are very nice. You will fit in fine Im sure.
Very true. On these boards, I am philosophically against people moving here, but in real life, I love meeting new people from all over. Person-to-person, I see people as individuals with something new to teach me. On these boards, I tend to start perceiving people as an aggregate out-of-state mass.

When you arrive, just be respectful of others and don't expect as much political correctness as you might be used to. It's not personal. We're just direct. But, for the most part, people will want to chat with you. People will treat you as an individual, not someone from somewhere else. Join activities in your town and get involved--bowling, softball, PTA, charities, etc. You'll make lots of friends and no one will care where you started out.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Pc......

[quote=lorelei2873;388752]Very true. don't expect as much political correctness as you might be used to. [Qoute]

"hallelujah" "yippee"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana