Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 PM

393 posts, read 1,066,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Maybe I haven't been paying as close attention as I thought...
but I don't particularly remember Obama talking about Gun Control in his campaign. As a matter of fact, I don't see it listed in his list of issues on his site:
Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Policy Issues
I do however find some info here:
Gun Control: 2008 contenders' views
and his quotes are directly here: Barack Obama on Gun Control

From what I can tell, and maybe I'm just too trusting... it sounds like he supports the individual right to bear arms, and is going to leave it up to cities and states beyond that.

Sounds pretty good to me. Moreover, you all might want to remember that Obama TAUGHT Constitutional law for years before turning to politics. I'm pretty sure the guy has a decent grasp on what was going on there.
He HAD posted on his site that he favors making the assault weapons ban PERMANENT as soon as possible and went on to say that those types of guns belong in battles on foreign soil! That's been removed now, but he's not done with that idea in any way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:22 PM

393 posts, read 1,066,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Heh... the inmates have taken over the asylum...

And we elected these clowns. Don't we ever learn?!
Not me, I didn't vote for him.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,333,914 times
Quote:
Heh... the inmates have taken over the asylum...

And we elected these clowns. Don't we ever learn?!
We, and by that I mean me and people like me, did NOT elect these clowns. I didn't vote for the crazy democrats running the House, Senate and soon White House or the governor in my state.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,333,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Sounds pretty good to me. Moreover, you all might want to remember that Obama TAUGHT Constitutional law for years before turning to politics. I'm pretty sure the guy has a decent grasp on what was going on there.
Why should that make anyone feel secure? Remember 4 out of 9 members of the Supreme Court voted against the idea that the 2nd Amendment was an individual right, why should we think Obama would vote against his past record and his party?

The reason he didn't bring up gun control in the campaign more is because it would have lost him votes and probably the election.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:32 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,292,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why should that make anyone feel secure? Remember 4 out of 9 members of the Supreme Court voted against the idea that the 2nd Amendment was an individual right, why should we think Obama would vote against his past record and his party?
The Constitution is going to be in a world of hurt if a Justice dies or retires over the next 4 years. Obama will nominate some wing nut and the lunatic dems will vote him in. By by Constitution as we know it today... It will never look the same again !

Old 11-18-2008, 07:29 PM

115 posts, read 173,674 times
It was a close race because he did well in places like Helena, Missoula, Native american counties, and counties where people care about the environment alot like Glacier county.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:35 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,093,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
We, and by that I mean me and people like me, did NOT elect these clowns. I didn't vote for the crazy democrats running the House, Senate and soon White House or the governor in my state.
You and I didn't, but a lot of people vote against their own stated interests.

True story from about 1971 (during the windup to the 1972 Pres. election): Door-to-door pollster was asking a standard set of questions about people's beliefs and desires...

... and the majority of Montanans interviewed strongly expressed a clear set of conservative views (small gov't, don't touch my guns, stay out of my wallet, and for that matter stay out of my life!)

The final question was: "Who do you think would make a good president?"

Despite all the foregoing conservative responses, the most common answer was "Teddy Kennedy" -- then the most liberal man in national politics, and the exact opposite of these peoples' stated views!!

I've personally observed this very phenomenon over and over, mainly among avowed Democrats -- say they want one thing, elect something else entirely. WTF are they thinking?!

Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 AM

305 posts, read 866,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherewillitland View Post
It was a close race because he did well in places like Helena, Missoula, Native american counties, and counties where people care about the environment alot like Glacier county.
That's originally what I thought too but then our local paper (Independent-Observer) came out with these stats for Pondera County. It shocked me a bit as to how close everything was.... must have been all those mailings I got saying he was NOT going to take my guns away!

"In the presidential election, John McCain and Sarah Palin carried the county in six of eight precincts with 1,582 to 1,221. Barack Obama and Joe Biden were winners in Brady and Heart Butte.

In state races, the team of Brian Schweitzer-John Bohlinger defeated Roy Brown-Steve Daines 1,831-1,011.
While Brad Johnson (R), Secretary of State won in the county, 1,441 over Linda McCulloch 1,353, he still lost his seat at the Capital.

Other Democrat winners in state races in the county were Steve Bullock over Tim Fox, Attorney General; Monica Lindeen over Duane Grimes for State Auditor; Denise Juneau over Elaine Herman OPI; and Mike McGrath over Ron Waterman for Supreme Court Justice, the latter being non-partisan."

Old 11-27-2008, 08:14 AM

355 posts, read 1,142,882 times
Quote:
You and I didn't, but a lot of people vote against their own stated interests.

True story from about 1971 (during the windup to the 1972 Pres. election): Door-to-door pollster was asking a standard set of questions about people's beliefs and desires...

... and the majority of Montanans interviewed strongly expressed a clear set of conservative views (small gov't, don't touch my guns, stay out of my wallet, and for that matter stay out of my life!)

The final question was: "Who do you think would make a good president?"

Despite all the foregoing conservative responses, the most common answer was "Teddy Kennedy" -- then the most liberal man in national politics, and the exact opposite of these peoples' stated views!!

I've personally observed this very phenomenon over and over, mainly among avowed Democrats -- say they want one thing, elect something else entirely. WTF are they thinking?!
This is an especially astute observation in this last election cycle. I took a look at legit exit polls as well as both studied and "for fun" questioning sessions with voters exiting the polls. The more serious questioning of voters dealt with current issues, candidates' views, and presently held offices, etc. The demographic was divided into the standard party lines, with independents and others being included.

It was truly astounding to watch the responses of people. And about half scary. I won't bore you with the details of who appeared better informed, but everyone is allowed one guess...

And it occurred to me, and not for the first time, that their vote counts just as much as mine. That's as it should be. But it sure re-drove home how easily many of the teeming masses are swayed by colorful rhetoric and catch phrases. If you have no frame of reference, you have no way to sift for the truth.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:36 PM

305 posts, read 866,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerider View Post
But it sure re-drove home how easily many of the teeming masses are swayed by colorful rhetoric and catch phrases. If you have no frame of reference, you have no way to sift for the truth.
amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana