Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 06:37 PM

19 posts, read 46,849 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone -

I haven't posted on this forum since before we headed out to Stillwater County from Battle Ground, WA. I had posted quite a bit, asking about the winters, etc, and so many of you were very helpful and open.

We got here on my birthday, Aug 31, after a grueling drive following my husband in the giant U-Haul through several mountain passes.

I was thrilled when we drove up that the cabin we are leasing was just as fantastic as it looked in the pics.

It sits in the middle of a ranch, and our neighbors (the owner's daughter and son in law) have children for my daughters to play with. We have become fast friends.

Up past our house, there is an 11 acre lake, stocked with some big, fat trout. My husband is in heaven.

We were ecstatic to move in, and the weather was perfect. Everyone in town has welcomed us with open arms, and I'm leading my daughter's Girl Scout troop. As we were settling in, all of a sudden, the news warned of the worst winter storm that this area has seen, thanks to some hurricane moisture meeting a cold air front.

Good thing we had begun winter preparations as soon as we arrived, and my husband had purchased a new chainsaw!

The snow started.

And it just kept coming....

We ended up with 3 feet of snow in 3 days, lost power one day (thank goodness I had stocked up on big jugs of water), I cooked on our wood stove, and we went sledding all over the ranch. It was crazy!

So much for the winters being milder here than they used to be! Ha ha. I know this was a fluke storm, and it has since melted. We're enjoying light frost in the morning and afternoons in the 50's.

Scott has been busily chopping wood to store under the deck, and thankfully our woodstove heats the entire cabin. It's awesome, we haven't had to turn on the furnace yet, and are staying nice and toasty so far.

Thanks to all of you who gave your input, advice, and welcome when I first started posting here. We could not be any happier. My eldest daughter is thriving in Kindergarten, my baby girl who is three is loving Miss Kathy at preschool, my husband is working a lot, and I feel like I have come home.

There is nothing in the world like coming back to a small town when you have been raised in one. I do miss having a Target 15 minutes from my house, but I am making the most of my days in Billings now, and appreciate those days I get to myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 06:46 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,842 times
Sounds like an adventure! Best of luck to you with your new place in Montana

Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,626 times
Great photos! The airport looks familliar!

Welcome.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:40 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
I hear ya on that U-Haul drive. We did that one too all the way from Multnomah County in Oregon a year ago. When we pulled into town it was 114 degrees according to the bank sign . Our U-Haul had some type of vapor lock in Idaho before we got to Wallace and nearly quit on us. Of course I am in the outfit behind my dh and all the cars are honking. Looks like you are having a great adventure, good luck and keep us up to date.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 PM

19 posts, read 46,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Great photos! The airport looks familliar!

Welcome.
LOL. I knew someone would recognize that spot!

We spent the night at the Copper King hotel in Butte before heading towards our house, about 30 min south of Columbus.

Thanks, you guys! I'll post some pics after the cabin is decorated for Christmas (something I have been dying to do since I saw it online!)

Old 11-12-2008, 10:46 AM

355 posts, read 1,146,693 times
Welcome, and nice post! Nothing like a little early season snow to give the kids something to smile about!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 PM

205 posts, read 729,362 times
What a gorgeous "cabin"! It is nice of you to give a follow up of your moving adventure. Best wishes for your continued enjoyment of your new home.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,815,108 times
enjoyed your post,and had a laugh at the "buying a new chain saw".when we moved here in the big snow of 96' as we call it, ,thats the first thing we did too.beleive me its got lots of use!

Old 11-24-2008, 04:25 PM

17 posts, read 56,907 times
Oh you blessed GAL....I'm wanting to come up there so bad...but unfortunately...have NO IDEA where to begin...so I"m hanging out alot here and reading everybody's posts. That SNOW is fantastic!...Even better you have a loved one to share it with and a passel of kids too!...Congratz...on living my dream...(minus the kids...I'm over that)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana