U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:04 PM

57 posts, read 169,079 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am a middle/ elementary school teacher who is looking to move to Montana in June 2009. I know that I need to get a job before I move, so I am looking for advice as to which part to move to. I have spent my last 8 years in Colorful Colorado and I am currently teaching in the small mountain town of Edwards (within the Vail Valley) and I am looking for an area that is not so distictively rich and poor.

I do not want an area with a huge ski resort (I have done that for the past 3 years and I am OVER IT). My dream is to find a place that has mountains to look at, while still having open lang surrounding it. I would like to be near other people near my age...a wopping 25 years old, but that is not a huge priority. Being in the mountains is in my blood. My grandpa was a bush pilot in Alaska and my mom was born there as well.

Things i would like to have in my life.
1) Places to fly fish.
2)Camping, hiking, backpacking (I know, I know..all of MT)
3) 4-wheeling- my truck needs to be used
4) a school that needs teachers
5) possibly a college area (I love to keep learning)
6) town/small city larger than 5,000 but smaller than 30,000
7) near mountains, would rather this than praire land
8) possibly near a reservation

I know that's a lot. It can all be modified. I have been researching the gold county and glacier county area...

Any suggestions would be welcomed and helpful. I am planning to visit in December 08 and March 09 to make sure this move is what I want for my next step.

I almost forgot, I have been researching the process to become certified in MT, but I am not totally clear about whether or not my licensure in Colorado must be traded or I can maintain my licensure here as well.

Thanks in advance! Have a great week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,154,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgegirl37 View Post
Hi all,
I am a middle/ elementary school teacher who is looking to move to Montana in June 2009. I know that I need to get a job before I move, so I am looking for advice as to which part to move to. I have spent my last 8 years in Colorful Colorado and I am currently teaching in the small mountain town of Edwards (within the Vail Valley) and I am looking for an area that is not so distictively rich and poor.

I do not want an area with a huge ski resort (I have done that for the past 3 years and I am OVER IT). My dream is to find a place that has mountains to look at, while still having open lang surrounding it. I would like to be near other people near my age...a wopping 25 years old, but that is not a huge priority. Being in the mountains is in my blood. My grandpa was a bush pilot in Alaska and my mom was born there as well.

Things i would like to have in my life.
1) Places to fly fish.
2)Camping, hiking, backpacking (I know, I know..all of MT)
3) 4-wheeling- my truck needs to be used
4) a school that needs teachers
5) possibly a college area (I love to keep learning)
6) town/small city larger than 5,000 but smaller than 30,000
7) near mountains, would rather this than praire land
8) possibly near a reservation

I know that's a lot. It can all be modified. I have been researching the gold county and glacier county area...

Any suggestions would be welcomed and helpful. I am planning to visit in December 08 and March 09 to make sure this move is what I want for my next step.

I almost forgot, I have been researching the process to become certified in MT, but I am not totally clear about whether or not my licensure in Colorado must be traded or I can maintain my licensure here as well.

Thanks in advance! Have a great week
You can do a search on teachers and you'll find a few other posts about teaching in Montana.

The biggest thing I can mention is teacher pay in Montana is usually around 47th - 49th in the nation (it's very poor). For a 25 year old, my best guess is you'd be looking at making probably 22-25k a year. (I'm not a teacher and haven't lived in Montana for a couple years, so my data might be old.) The newer and less experienced teachers start at the small school districts and then try to move into the larger school districts as they get experience and prove that they are good. There's a bunch of districts that are looking for teachers in Montana but most of them are smaller districts in the eastern part of the state (no mountains and not quite what your looking for). The western part pays better generally but jobs are much harder to come by. I know some that opened in Whitefish and they easily had a couple hundred applications for them. It doesn't hurt to apply but I'm being realistic here.

So I'd start by figuring how much you want (need) to make and see where you can afford to live...then apply in those districts.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,785 times
Contact Belgrade Schools and ask them to share your application with small towns around, right outside of Bozeman--the greatest town in MT, with mountains!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,568,567 times
After teaching in Montana for the past several years I finally got smart and moved back to my home state of Wyoming. I love Montana, but money for schools is just not there. Not only do I make almost twice as much in Wyoming as in Montana, but there is a lot more money put into the education system in Wyoming (besides teacher pay). I know Montana teachers do their best, but it is often hard when they can't get the supplies, new books, etc. that would help them do better. If you don't mind the money issue then go for Montana. I'm just giving you my opinion. I sure wish I would have started teaching in Wyo when I was 25! Life would be SO MUCH EASIER for me now! Best of luck to you!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:42 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,894,357 times
I am agreeing with the above post, salary is a huge issue here in the state, on the east side the cost of living is increasing but not at he rate of the western side. And ya gotta be able to survive. Sorry to be a downer but that is just a fact.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:06 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,877,890 times
Folks who choose teaching for a career don't seem to choose teaching because the pay is good and folks don't move to Montana because life is easy here. The benefits of teaching and/or living in Montana are not measured in dollars they are measured in smiles. Oh and welcome to the board.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:03 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,568,567 times
I have to agree with Rickers that people don't go into teaching for the money. But if one doesn't make enough to even make ends meet then it is really difficult, especially when most teachers have to take money out of their own pockets to supplement the supplies for their classroom. The same goes for living in Montana. It is a wonderful, beautiful state, and we would have stayed where we were had we been able to afford it. It's a Catch-22 type thing. I am not at all putting down Montana or the schools there. As another poster said, it's just a fact that things there are really tough for teachers. If a teacher has a spouse who makes good money, then it is a great place to be!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks for all the help! I will keep on researching about salary and possible school districts. I am also looking into Wyoming and South Dakota.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks for all the help! I will keep on researching about salary and possible school districts. I am also looking into Wyoming and South Dakota.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:29 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,894,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Folks who choose teaching for a career don't seem to choose teaching because the pay is good and folks don't move to Montana because life is easy here. The benefits of teaching and/or living in Montana are not measured in dollars they are measured in smiles. Oh and welcome to the board.
Don't be so sure my friend, I see many go into teaching and the medical field only to bail when the hours/pay are not equalling in their mind their output. You are right, you have to have a commitment to it. I also agree with the idea that living in Montana is worth the pay scale. You just have to decide what it is you really need to get by with. Amazing how I have shed items and consolidated since coming to the big sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana