Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:26 AM

152 posts, read 457,410 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

I've just started plaining my summer vacation and one of the things i was looking at was Glacier NP. I have a few questions that are hard to get answers from websites and the like, so i thought i would go straight to the source. AKA you guys and gals

I was Plaining for the week after labor day to help cut down the the amount of people, Will that work? what is the weather typical for then? is there a better time?

Another question: what would you recommend I don't miss there? any good day hikes? and of course any other info you think will help

almost forgot hows camping there? and do I have to look out for snakes? ( I hate snakes!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 PM

108 posts, read 412,864 times
We are planning a summer trip to Montana, Wyoming (Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP)and Colorado (Rocky Mountain NP).
You can get good local info here but you can also get tons of info on Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor
Go to the forums and the Montana forum has a lot of good info and advise, lodging reviews, etc.

Have fun planning!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
I think that is too early. The weather is still very unpredictable then. Logan Pass will not likley be open so you would not be able to go all the way through. The park will not officially be open at that time although you can drive through the entrance. No stores or consessions will be open either. Mid-late June will be better.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:04 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think that is too early. The weather is still very unpredictable then. Logan Pass will not likley be open so you would not be able to go all the way through. The park will not officially be open at that time although you can drive through the entrance. No stores or consessions will be open either. Mid-late June will be better.
A week after Labor day...the second weekend in Sept. is too early? Please explain? I am currious.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:40 AM

152 posts, read 457,410 times
thanks for the replays everyone

and thanks pmjinnh for the link I'll check it out.

I went to rocky NP last year, the week after labor day in fact, really nice place.
Great hiking there but be ready for some hail storms it you hike high in elevation. It seamed really crowded on the weekends but cleared out nice after labor day.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,814,593 times
Hubby and i drive up there in sept all the time,and its beautiful. since we live close we have never looked into the camping end of things so i cant tell you much there.but there are several camp grounds.we see lots and lots of people hiking,so there must be lots of good trails. we mostley drive and snap photos. just keep in mind this is montana,so the weather can change at any time.enjoy your trip ,glaceir is a beautiful spot.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:50 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,042 times
Talking Don't Miss the Drive up Sun ROAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedzul View Post
Hello Everyone

I've just started plaining my summer vacation and one of the things i was looking at was Glacier NP. I have a few questions that are hard to get answers from websites and the like, so i thought i would go straight to the source. AKA you guys and gals

I was Plaining for the week after labor day to help cut down the the amount of people, Will that work? what is the weather typical for then? is there a better time?

Another question: what would you recommend I don't miss there? any good day hikes? and of course any other info you think will help

almost forgot hows camping there? and do I have to look out for snakes? ( I hate snakes!)
Hi.. just a quick little background.. my Mom was originally from MT and so her side of the family lived there my whole life.. Dad was an airmen from NY at Malmstrom and they met, married and moved to NY where my dad's family was.. i was born and raised on LI. BUT.. i spent many summers vacationing in MT.. and particularly going to Glacier National Park, etc. And my mom still lives there ( i came to thsi board out of curiosity)
I totally recommend driving up Sun Raod wich is a scary (hey I was 9 it may not be as scary now..LOL) ride up a very narrow two lane road (going up you are on the outside lane) all the way to the top of the mountain. There are turn offs you can take to have a look at the view. At one point I remember we actually stuck cups under a waterfall and drank right from it. There is snow in the middle of the summer up there, as it gets pretty cold. It is THE most gorgeous views I have ever seen! BUT.. if you go to Glacier after labor day you won't be allowed to go. The road is only open I think maybe 4 weeks out of the summer because of snow, it ends up closing. You'll have to check withthe park about what weeks it was exactly..
As for your other information.. i couldn't be of much help.. but I hope you don't miss Sun road.. it's truly amazing!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,814,593 times
as i said in the above post,we have gone in early Sept.lots of times,we are only an hr away,and its lovely
Glacier National Park - Operating Hours & Seasons (U.S. National Park Service)
but as the web site states,somethings can be closing down if you wait to long.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,301 times
Default Road to the Sun shuttles

You can check out GNP website. In the summer they now have shuttles that take visitors to various drop-offs along the Road to the Sun. If I remember correctly, the shuttles only run in the summer. All the info. is on the website. We are considering a trip there too, and I think the shuttles are a great way to save gas and cut down on traffic, etc.. Can't help you with the snakes, but anytime you're on a trail you should pay attention to your footing and surroundings for unexpected creatures large or small. I also recommend the Trip Advisor website. I use it whenever I travel.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 AM

22 posts, read 90,248 times
Labor Day will be full, so will the weekend after. But, it won't be AS many people so it's your best bet! It should be warm, but as always, you can never be sure. One thing to remember: NO TENTS! You have to have a hard top camper/trailer in order to camp in Glacier. This excludes tend trailers. They have grizzlies there. I would say, go to Polebridge on the Westside of the park. It's just an old fashioned mercantile in the boonies. They have great home baked goods and it's real neat. Seems weird that it's just there. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana