U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,281 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have a few questions on Kalispell. My two daughters and I will be relocating {job related} from Rhode Island in about 2 years and while I found alot of information online and lurking on this board the last few weeks.. think I read every post, LoL! You folks are a lively bunch and I love the honesty here, I've learned so much already from you all

Are there used bookstores in this city? Or new bookstores? I'm a book addict And sadly I'm already in the process of getting of alot of mine 'cuz I'd spend a fortune just moving those

With the elementary schools... does where you live determine where your children go to school? This is how it is in RI but I know not all states follow this.

We're planning on renting in Kalispell, as that is where my job is located, for a while till we get a true feel for the surrounding areas and decide where to buy. As I am assuming that rentals are scarce in the outside areas... if I'm wrong, please enlighten me

Oh, and if anyone knows of any links to local 4H's or girl scout type organizations in the area.. well, I'd really appreciate those as would my girls. Or just the names of them and I could look into them myself.

Well, thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all

SpiritWolf
aka: Marge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 04:38 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,066,579 times
Default Kalispell 4-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWolf View Post
Hi everyone, I have a few questions on Kalispell. My two daughters and I will be relocating {job related} from Rhode Island in about 2 years and while I found alot of information online and lurking on this board the last few weeks.. think I read every post, LoL! You folks are a lively bunch and I love the honesty here, I've learned so much already from you all

Are there used bookstores in this city? Or new bookstores? I'm a book addict And sadly I'm already in the process of getting of alot of mine 'cuz I'd spend a fortune just moving those

With the elementary schools... does where you live determine where your children go to school? This is how it is in RI but I know not all states follow this.

We're planning on renting in Kalispell, as that is where my job is located, for a while till we get a true feel for the surrounding areas and decide where to buy. As I am assuming that rentals are scarce in the outside areas... if I'm wrong, please enlighten me

Oh, and if anyone knows of any links to local 4H's or girl scout type organizations in the area.. well, I'd really appreciate those as would my girls. Or just the names of them and I could look into them myself.

Well, thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all

SpiritWolf
aka: Marge
I can't answer most of your questions about Kalispell as I haven't lived near there in a number of years. However, I can give you some help with the 4-H, Girl Scout type of organizations. Check with the Flathead County Extension Office. Here is their website: www.co.flathead.mt.us/4h/ (broken link) They should be able to answer your questions about 4-H and can probably put you in touch with the local girl scout troop.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,502 times
hey we are relocating due to work what did you find out? I need to rent something for 2 -8 months any suggestions

Old 10-05-2007, 06:20 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,422,908 times
OK, here we go....
We have borders books and a few smaller non-chain book stores and I believe there is one used store.
4H,FFA and scouts are big here and FFA stuff is taught in the high schools and there is a brand new high school in Kalispell.
Rentals, well they are available but there is competition for them and I would suggest widening your search to include and area within 15 miles of Kalispell. This would include greater Whitefish,Columbia Falls,Evergreen and Kalispell. The places rentals are listed is either Dailyinterlake.com or MountainTrader.com unless you want to go through a rental service which are also in the paper. When we rented we started looking a few months prior to moving and rented it 2 months before we moved in since it was a real nice house and a lot of people wanted it.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhrwlrd View Post
hey we are relocating due to work what did you find out? I need to rent something for 2 -8 months any suggestions
If it's a short term rental look around Whitefish. They rent out fully furnished/unfurnished condo's and townhouses near Big Mountain for 3-6 months at a shot. They are in the paper as well or the rental services have them for sure.
This is just one:
Description: This wonderful 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house is right on the water, has it's own beach and dock and is charmingly decorated for your family's comfort. There's so much fun to be had you'd better extend you vacation plans. Rent locally or bring your own boat, kayak or canoe or simply relax and enjoy the views from the spacious deck or lakeshore. No pets, no smoking. No Air Conditioning. Available from Mid September to May 1st (7 months minimum) @ $1,250/m.
Monthly: Please Inquire - Deposit: Please Inquire
Levels: 2
SqFt: 1700 Bedrooms: 3
Baths: 2 Occupancy: 8
Max Occupancy:

Old 10-05-2007, 07:46 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,548,682 times
i think it depends on the location,and house size.we rented while we were building. nothing fancy , a 2bdrm house in the county close to bigfork,for 875.we did find it hard to find a place that would allow animals.so keep that in mind if you have pets.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:47 PM

14 posts, read 29,475 times
We moved here 11 years ago - rented in town in Kalispell and spent everyday looking this big valley over! We only wanted to buy/build ONCE. We settle on five acres outside of Bigfork on the mountain - absolutely could not have made a better choice - we love it here. You really do need to look it all over because areas in the valley are really different from each other.
Rent is very high - we paid 700/month - it ate 10,000 dollars of our money the first year.
Employment is here but wages are not the best. I worked for the phone company - one of the better paying jobs in the valley. But, they have downsized and it is no longer a prime choice.
Good luck. It is beautiful here.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:15 PM

200 posts, read 616,300 times
I am curious, too about Kalispell...how ARE the winters? I hear you are in a "BANANA BELT" meaning "warmer Montana"......?? How much snow and how cold? Oh and are you like CO where you get snow but always have sunshine? Thanks for any info!!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,859,383 times
I wouldn't say that Kalispell is in the so called banana belt ! What people call the banana belt is more like the Plains, Hot Springs, Paradise areas.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:14 AM

This "bananna belt" thing makes me laugh... When I hear that the first thing that comes to mind is "are they talking about frozen banannas?" Let's face it, MT is cold most of the time compared to most western states. The best way to describe MT is cold,colder and darn my coffee froze in my cup! Or, breezy, windy and "dorothy I'll see you in OZ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana