U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 9,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_a_light View Post
Kalispell is definitelygrowing and the traffic can be hell at times.
I live in NoVa and there is no way that traffic in Kalispell is *anything* like we have in the Mixing Bowl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 06:20 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,721 posts, read 11,914,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson223 View Post
I live in NoVa and there is no way that traffic in Kalispell is *anything* like we have in the Mixing Bowl!
It's not horrible, the thing is it's a lot for people who've been here for years or all their lives and are not used to it.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,749 times
We are wanting a change in lifestyle too. Moving from Cincinnati to Kalispell area to just get off the wheel and out of the rat race. We are friendly folks, not pretentious and like people for who they are not what they have or think they do. Born and raised in the midwest bible belt, we are Christians that walk the talk. We are nervous about such a big move but looking at it as a big adventure to BIG SKY country and thinking that you usually regret more things you don't do than those that you do so we are Montana bound!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 AM

16 posts, read 21,479 times
That's a great attitude to have and, conveniently, you'll probably in in the majority -non MT natives. The prices there have brought in many affluent families and driven out many of the natives, so everybody's pretty much a stranger in a strange and wonderful land. Just bring your income with you or have it arranged already, because the economy isn't exactly booming outside of the building industry.
Someone earlier on in this thread, I think, was asking if Bigfork is its own "big city" or a suburb of Kalispell. The easy answer: neither. Bigfork is a small quaint village in the southeast edge of Flathead lake and is composed of wealthy land owners and artisans for the most part. There are quite a few eclectic artsy shops on the main drag (the entire downtown area could fit into the footprint of the Sears Tower in Chicago) along with several popular country and western themed taverns that have a number of live shows in the summer. There's also a nice little theater that produces several plays during the year.
It's an easy commute to Kalispell about 20 miles to the north-northwest with all of two turns. I don't recall the first turn that's a left turn (if you want to enter town from the south), but after that turn, you turn right on hwy. 93 and drive another 10 miles or so along a very wide new four lane 70mph highway and you're there. Speaking of which, people just moving there may not be prepared for the higher posted speed limits, but I'd encourage everyone to try and keep up. It's just a matter of acclimatisation and the locals are used to it and get annoyed with someone doing 55 in a 70 zone in clear dry conditions. If I were to select an appropriate car for this area, I'd select a European AWD vehicle or a Subaru. Personally, an Audi or VW with AWD and diesel would work great for mileage and usability in a very four season climate in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains with lakes and world class skiing.
I suppose by now much of the farm land that was between Kalispell and Somers has been bought and converted into commercial properties or residential development and there's little left to seperate the two towns. There's a full sized Costco, Home Depot, Lowes, and Borders all within walking distance in the north end of Kalispell between there and Whitefish, three Super 1's and a Rosaurs(sp?) with Huckleberries natural food store contained therein are scattered throughout the tri-city area, so pretty much everything anyone could want or need is there. DSL is available even in rural unincorporated Bigfork and the airport is a hub for international destinations as well. Many hundreds of miles of paved asphalt walking trails have been constructed in recent years, so it's become much more pedestrian-friendly. As long as you have the means, there's really a lot to like about the Flathead...

Old 10-18-2010, 01:43 AM

3 posts, read 3,796 times
Kalispell has virtually no jobs. I grew up there and just moved back to Helena because there's nothing in Kalispell that interests me.

Most of your traffic is up by Costco, Target and the new movie theater.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:03 PM

451 posts, read 517,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdehoop View Post
We are wanting a change in lifestyle too. Moving from Cincinnati to Kalispell area to just get off the wheel and out of the rat race. We are friendly folks, not pretentious and like people for who they are not what they have or think they do. Born and raised in the midwest bible belt, we are Christians that walk the talk. We are nervous about such a big move but looking at it as a big adventure to BIG SKY country and thinking that you usually regret more things you don't do than those that you do so we are Montana bound!
It is a big move, but you'll do fine. There's plenty to see and do and even jobs are available - you just need to be able-bodied, willing to work hard for what you earn. But you'll find the benefits worthwhile...

And as for Rev. Baldwin, should that be part of your interest, please feel free to Direct Message me here at C-D forums for further info.

Good luck and God Bless,

mg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana