U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 04:57 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,758,095 times

Advertisements

My Mother and Step-Father recently sold quite a few acres of their property to someone who wants to build houses on it. It's a few miles south of Butte but still fairly close to town. For reasons I don't understand the county said that they can't use septic tanks on this property and that the developer is going to have to run a line to the public sewer system which must be very expensive. I guess that's exactly what he intends to do but he hadn't planned on this additional expense. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you should check out the situation with all of your utilities and talk directly to the county officials and not just with the person who's selling the property. My Mother and Step-Father had no idea this would even come up as an issue, it's just something they were unaware of. However you might find people trying to sell property that they know if going to be difficult to get hooked up to utilities and they just aren't going to tell you about it. Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G&G View Post
Thank you for all the advice. We just got back tonight from a trip out to the Missoula area looking at land. I must say, I saw a lot of things that I have read about on these posts. We are definetly in for a long and carefull search. I understand we will have a well, we have one here now, but my question is about how EASY it is to GET water??? The agent we were looking with told us alot that we would only get 1 gpm with a property on a hill????????? He actually told us MANY things I am wondering about. Lets just say how truthfull some of his statements were have me wondering. We were basically talked out of everything we were shown. I see the absurdity with pricing also, what some are selling in Montana as "buildable" land is land that we here would not pay 1 red cent for! Perhaps they are looking for "stupid" out of towners to gobble it up.

I second your thoughts, researched prior to arriving in Montana. Got there on a weekend and drove out and looked at the properties. What a sad state of affairs, we finally canceled with realtors and did our search mission till we found our 20.5 acres with a 1/2 mile of running creek and wet lands. The properties are out there some are tougher to get to than others. Ours is 8 miles off the pavement and is advertised as not having year around access.
The well question/situation: a low flow well is not a problem if ya have a decent resevoir. keep it filled topped off and then the low flow won't be to much of a problem.
As for land suggestions we found a ton of parcels east of Missoula and north of I-90 headin towards Butte. We just settled on what we found and never made it into that area.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 PM

149 posts, read 579,090 times
Post wells, etc.

We were fortunate to have local contacts...we used a well-known driller. He witched the property first and chose the spot (which unbeknowst to him, my hubby and his friend had already witched and decided on) he felt was the best. We get 2 gpm. We are at altitude 4000 feet with a well depth of 65 feet. The guy below us and lower on the hill had to go 100 feet. Our side neighbor went 65 feet, gets 1/2 gpm, on his 3rd try. So, G&G, it's hard to believe an agent knows what he is talking about, unless he is privy to well reports in the area and then it still depends on just where that vein is underground.

Yep, putting in a reservoir, too. Mother nature has more control than I do over water flow.

G&G.....I know what you mean about "buildable" sites. Some 15-20 acre plots we viewed that were a decent price were mostly places without much usable land to build on, hilly, far from the beaten path, places only a billy goat could travel. We're happy with our 5 acres.

Just got word today, power going in. Contractor will be most happy

Last edited by fbcobrn; 03-08-2007 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: add

Old 03-09-2007, 12:44 PM
G&G G&G started this thread

25 posts, read 107,022 times
Default Thank You!

FBCOBRN / rambrush
Thank you for all your advise ect.. I think we will do our own research and driving around next time to begin with and then try to find a knowledgable real estate agent willing to help. We drove into some different areas and expanded our search right before we left and saw some other options but ran out of time. We headed back home behind schedule and found out what it was like to drive in the fog at night thru eastern Montana and about all the way thru Nodak. That was real fun. Just part of it all. You are sooo right about the billy goat statement!! I can not believe anyone could or would want to build on some land that is soooo steep! Straight up and down! I'd like my future children to live through a day playing in the yard outside! Do you have wooded land? and what did you find out about fire insurance? Thank You

Old 03-09-2007, 03:12 PM

Post wooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&G View Post
FBCOBRN / rambrush
Do you have wooded land? and what did you find out about fire insurance? Thank You
Our property is in the wooded hills with a gradual slopiness to it. And a road I can walk up. We are just over the crest from a National Forest. We have semi-checked out insurance and were told it shouldn't be outrageous because we are within 5 miles of the fire department

I can keep my same insurance company up there and don't need to buy construction insurance until they start framing.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:28 PM

Yep we have same problem with fire insurance, we are to far from nearest fire dept. So build it fire proof as much as possible. The only fire is from state fire and they only do wildland no structure protection. Always a FYI find a place if possible with a second way out not good to be trapped with fire and no way out.

Our property is at the 7200' mark heavly forested we have flat on top great view of the Lady of Rockies overlookin butte.

4th July we watch fireworks in Butte and Anaconda.

We have gentle slopes and some steep but steep is good cause nobody can build and block our view.

Plus the creek flows down to Mill creek and it sure is nice when falling asleep to a waterfall.

Ingersol Rand owns most of land below us.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:18 PM

62 posts, read 452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcobrn View Post
Whoa! I feel lucky then, it only cost us $2400. for hookup, our well was $28/ft (hit at 60 ft), and septic was less than $4,000. including permits.

And, thank goodness we will be within 5 miles of a firestation, which I understand will keep our premium at a better rate. There are just SOOOOO many new things to learn and research before buying that piece of property, no matter where you chose to live. It's not a choice we made lightly.

We also had to consider how to get to our place in inclement weather.....we are 1 mile from the county-maintained portion of the road.

I just can't imagine going thru this with kids to worry about.
Well depth and location of water are dependent on where in Montana you live. It also depends on which "hill" you live on, lol. Check with Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology. Great guys/gals. They are very helpful.
Living 5 miles from a fire station....with WHAT rating....you could live two blocks from a fire station, but if its an 8-10 rating (bad)....it doesn't matter. Your insurance will be expensive. Don't let someone tell you that living next to a fire station in rural Montana matters. What does matter is if you live within 6 miles of fire station with good ratings. This means an audit by the fire marshal that takes a lot of time on his part. When its a volunteer fire marshal its even harder to get them to do the paper work.

If we have a real Montana winter (inclement weather) one of these years you won't "get through" the mile. Have an old car parked near the county road and walk in/out or snowmobile in/out to your home.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:46 PM

That was what we were told, if we were to live there year around leave a 4x4 chained up down below. use snow cat- snowmobile to get back and forth.
My wife is not fond of that and prefers winters in Az

Old 03-10-2007, 01:12 PM

Default thanks for info

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeMontanan View Post
Living 5 miles from a fire station....with WHAT rating.... What does matter is if you live within 6 miles of fire station with good ratings.
If we have a real Montana winter (inclement weather) one of these years you won't "get through" the mile. Have an old car parked near the county road and walk in/out or snowmobile in/out to your home.
How does one find out the rating? is there a web to go to?

Weather...that's why I'll have to part with my present car

Last edited by fbcobrn; 03-10-2007 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: sp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana