Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 03:34 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,979 times

Advertisements

There was a thread about work at home jobs that seems to have gone away. I had said before that there weren't many real work at home jobs in Montana but then I realized that's incorrect. Montana is home to many work at home jobs:

- Ranching
- Farming
- Horse boarding
- Babysitting / Day care
- Bazaars (making crafts at home and selling at craft fairs)

I also know many people that either operated a business out of their home or rented an apartment adjoining their place of employment. (This is pretty unique to Montana - you don't see that in cities) Some of those included:

- Printing shops
- Galleries / Antique shops
- Montessori school teachers
- Private music lessons

There are several manufacturing companies that operate out of their garage. I've seen:

- Machine shops
- Log home manufacturing

Finally, we have lots of toursity businesses in Western Montana where people work out of their homes, including:

- Gift shops
- Huckleberry sales
- Cherry sales
- Toursity junk that you see on your way from Columbia Falls to Glacier Park.

So I think there are ample work from home opportunities in Montana. But they don't necessarily pay well (and sometimes not at all) but the opportunities are there.

This thread may get closed but I hope that it's not deleted because these kind of jobs really are unique to Montana. You just don't see them elsewhere for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 05:52 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,842 times
I moved it to Business/Investing forum in order to generate more replies for the original poster.

It wasn't specific to Montana... just a general question...

This post however I will leave in this forum...

Old 01-02-2009, 06:28 PM

355 posts, read 1,146,693 times
Actually, I bet you'd be amazed at how many people have sidelines or main jobs at home. I know of several and that's just in my circle. My wife and I both have small businesses at home and work day jobs, too. I also board horses in exchange for hay and with some updating and such could easily convert that into another business.

I think I've stated here before that this part of the country doesn't lend itself well to having only one iron in the fire. About the only people I know who are sleeping well with one job are government/state employees of one type or another. Any of us who get their hands dirty on a regular basis learned a long time ago having only one skill in Montana is risky business.

That said, I have come to realize being skilled in a number of things from investing to animal care is actually a plus in life. It gives a perspective that helps deal with both tough times and difficult decisions. And it lends itself well to be able to better think on your feet when dealing with situations with no clear answer. IMHO....

Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Very good points, really didn't think of it this way til you brought it up -- and I work at home!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana