Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 PM

12 posts, read 275,226 times

Advertisements

If you are planning to do a stop in Glacier, let me add to it.

From Kalispell it's just a short hop on Highway 2 over to Libby/Troy area. Lincoln County is definatley the "jewel" of the Northwest corner of Montana and we have some amazing places to see and things to do.

You can check it out online to find these places

Kootenai Falls
Ross Creek Cedars
Lake Koocanusa
Cabinet Mountain Wilderness

Also Libby is host to "Logger Days" in June and "Nordicfest" in September...both festivals host very large craft fairs and all summer long every Thursday evening in Libby is an open air market in the park downtown where local vendors buy, sell, and trade goods....

Do you plan on doing any camping?!?! Or just hotels??? There are some very amazing places to camp here too....Howard's Lake is a small mountain lake about 15 miles outside of Libby...and it's absolutely breathtaking! Last person I sent up there stayed there over 2 weeks!!

Besides....from here it's a beautiful drive down 56 to 200 which follows the Clark Fork River over to Sandpoint and Spokane...MUCH prettier drive back to SO. Cal from here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 09:15 PM

62 posts, read 471,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I've convinced my 88-year old father that we need to take a "Grand Road Trip" --...
Montana is one of the states neither of us have ever been to. I'm checking out the map, and it looks like the "scenic" route (route 2)

...Thanks in advance for any help and information. I have no plans to move to Montana. I just want to visit!
Have a great time. Since you are taking Hwy 2....I might offer an alternative. Hwy 200 or Hwy 12. But if you are staying on 2 its a lot of flat wheat ground...pretty in its own way. If you are going to Glacier from the East you will be using your brakes a lot of the way down the mountain. Don't ride your brakes. Put your car into a lower gear. Use the brakes to slow down to a crawl and then allow your car back up to speed. I've seen so many "rental cars" with smoking brakes...I prefer to visit Glacier from the West to East, but it still will be pretty.

One thing I found of interest while up there is going over to Big Mountain out of Whitefish....They have the ski lift, or used to, operating during the summer. Ride the chair up and look East into Glacier park. You will see what you've just driven through. It is quite spectacular.

Whitefish is expensive to spend the night, but I haven't been there for a couple of years so am not sure exact prices.

I would like to suggest a very beautiful route back towards I-15. Hwy 93 is very busy. Stop on the Big Fork side of Flathead Lake to see Flathead. Then take Hwy 83 south through the Swan Valley to Seeley Lake. At 200 turn East onto 200. Drive the rode past Orvando until 141 goes south towards Avon. Careful the turn for 141 comes up quick...if your not watching you will end up in Lincoln. That's okay...its worth a look. At Avon you can either go West on 12 to I-90 as suggested by another so you can get to the Pintler Scenic Route....or if you are in a bit of a hurry because you've spent too much time take 12 east toward Helena, go over McDonald pass and you are on I-15.

At the top of McDonald pass used to be what was called Frontier Town. What a beautiful place. I think someone bought the town and made it a private residence. It had the most magnificent church. The altar was all windows looking out over God's country. The pews were huge logs cut in half for the seats. It's sad its become a personal residence and we can't enjoy it anymore.

You will miss Cooke City Pass. That is down south of Red Lodge. It would be out of your way. It travels south up over the Beartooth mountains via "switchbacks" and into Yellowstone Park. Its always fun to take "flat landers" up over the pass.

I hope you have a wonderful experience in Montana. As long as you stay on the 2-lane roads you will find small mom and pop hotels. Late June is a good time to travel....as my mom used to say the days are the longest in June so you have plenty of daylight.

If you're on I-15 are you going to have time to visit Grand Canyon? That is awesome...touristy, but awesome. I was hypnotised by its grandeur.

Good luck and it is just so cool you and your dad are doing this. You will treasure this trip forever. Its amazing you are doing it in the Treasure State, Montana. Peace !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana