Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 04:54 PM

182 posts, read 469,348 times

Advertisements

I am a wildlife management student and plan on working for the government. What are good ideas as far as relocation, pay, cost of living, etc?

Also, I plan on furthering my education by getting a masters in wildlife biology. I think that should affect where I accept a job at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 08:30 PM

406 posts, read 1,360,124 times
definately get that masters before you enter this field as a profession. unless it is a labor of love, you will be isolated, not paid enough, and ridiculed by the locals. i feel for you guys. i have many many friends who couldn't take it.

but your pay bracket won't be enough for you to save any money until you get that masters. where are you coming from? the forest service, if it was run like a normal business, would have gone bankrupt long ago. you should do an internship this summer to help you decide on where to work. it will undoubtedly give you an in, and a better idea of where you want to work. but i will narrow it down for you: you will work for either the forest service, dep. of ag., or ted turner.

what is your specialty? any thesis? if not you will find a topic quick in montana, that's for sure. i wish you the best.

Last edited by michael11747; 12-26-2008 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: ommission

Old 12-26-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnally View Post
I am a wildlife management student and plan on working for the government. What are good ideas as far as relocation, pay, cost of living, etc?

Also, I plan on furthering my education by getting a masters in wildlife biology. I think that should affect where I accept a job at.
if you are going to be in school and working at the same time, you will most likely end up in bozeman or missoula for any serious studies. both are more liberal than any other towns in montana, by far, and offer the best education possible in wildlife management hands down.

cost of living is reflected in this obviously. bozeman rents have always been high near campus. about 300/mth per room. water/sewer/trash is usually included. i can't speak of missoula, but i do know that on average, it is a little cheaper there.

as for pay... until you get that masters, you will be just getting by. sorry but like i said in my other post, this line of work is a labor of love. i know guys who love their job, get paid enough to raise their kids, but they are happier than anyone else because they are working outdoors in montana. you can't beat that.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:04 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times
Quote:

If you need to ask that, you should go somewhere else first and then figure out what you want to do..

Old 12-27-2008, 07:40 AM

What I want to do is work for the EPA, Bureau of Land Management, or Park Services. I am already used to living on 'just getting by.' I am a college student.

I have responsibilities ahead of me. Big ones.

I am married also, so that's two incomes.

I am in Texas and may stay close to home for a little while, but really would like to get away eventually.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
What I want to do is work for the EPA, Bureau of Land Management, or Park Services. I am already used to living on 'just getting by.' I am a college student.

I have responsibilities ahead of me. Big ones.

I am married also, so that's two incomes.

I am in Texas and may stay close to home for a little while, but really would like to get away eventually.
well if you have two incomes you will be fine here. make sure wifie has a job she likes though... my wife has finally settled in the dental biz, but it took her forever to find a job she liked, and we almost left the area long ago because of it.

the EPA isn't as active here as it is in texas, of course, and BLM is always an option, but i find that to be one of the more boring jobs. an overwhelming majority here who work for the park service love it and hate it at the same time. they love it because they are in a beautiful place working outdoors, but hate it because of the pay. either way good luck, and this is a great place to take your kids to work if you work for the park service...

Old 12-28-2008, 12:57 PM

43 posts, read 43,628 times
Quote:

Don't you think it would have been prudent to investigate the question you ask prior to getting your degree? First off, indeed you must have a master to work in wildlife management. Secondly, understand that this is a passion career, and competition is well rounded and heavy for most of these jobs. Pay is low. You must be willing to travel around the country gaining expierence in your field. Your credentials in areas like Montana will not impress hiring agents, as this is one of the most sought after places in the nation to work in your field and they get some big time resumes from all over the world. So be willing to establish your credentials elsewhere. To put it in prosepective, if someday you would like to manage a state game dept, there are only 50 state agencies in the nation. That means 50 managers from ten of thousands of workers in this field. You could work for the fed and all that encompasses, however, I think you will see some greatly reduced federal spending in the natural resource area in the next 5-10 years. I think, the best possible advice one can give, is for you to go where you can work, not try to work where you want to go. Be also willing to pick up and move for a promotion, and again for the next one. Living on a tight budget gets old as you get on with life.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:11 AM

Thanks for all of the info, I am taking it all in and processing it.

Moderator cut: I took care of the post you were referring to

Last edited by Kristynwy; 12-30-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: direct message me for further questions :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana