U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,636 times

Advertisements

I see that BNSF is looking for some laborers in Forsyth. I would like to know how they are to work for, do they take care of there people. They talk about there benifiet package, is it as good as they say. Is there anybody that works for BNSF in Fosyth that can tell me about it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 07:49 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,399,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahunter View Post
I see that BNSF is looking for some laborers in Forsyth. I would like to know how they are to work for, do they take care of there people. They talk about there benifiet package, is it as good as they say. Is there anybody that works for BNSF in Fosyth that can tell me about it.

Thanks
It's my understanding from the railroaders around here that they are a good company to work for and it can be a lifetime job that pays well over time.
I've never heard of anyone quitting them and have heard that people fight to get jobs with them. The one downside is they do move the workers around quite a bit from what I've been told.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:39 AM

9 posts, read 28,917 times
My husband works for BNSF hes a engineer, and my dad is in upper management for them. BNSF is a really good company to work for. You move around if you wanna work your way up. Like in forsyth you could be part of the train crew or a train master, or work on the maintenance of way side. But if you wanna work your way up than yeah you transfer. The benefits are pretty good. You make good money for the work, and good retirement package. You don't pay into social security but railroad retirement. All in all I think its a good company that you can move up in. As an engineer you can make 80-90,000 a year depending on how much you work. Conductors make 60-70. My husband likes the job, forsyth is ok, but you can always transfer out of here that's one good thing about BNSF is you can work anywhere once you get on. You do have crazy hours though, and its not for everyone.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbucker00 View Post
I can tell you it's a **** hole.

Got a good taco stand in town though. Love them tacos.
Completely agree.

I live in colstrip, it's about 30 miles from forsyth.

They're both ****holes. It's at least an hour drive to go anywhere. Both towns are INSANELY boring, unless you like to go to bars. There are no jobs unless you work at the mine/power plant/railroad. However they do pay well.

Colstrip and forsyth both suck. I can't wait till the fall so i can get the heck out of here and go to college.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,636 times
Thanks for the info JustaSmalltownGirl. I have been trying to get a job with BNSF on the maintaince side (truck driver, laborer, equipment operator). No luck yet but I will keep trying. I have been told that a person needs to have an IN to get hired, like a family member or a good friend that has some pull in the company. I hope not because I live in a small town in north Idaho and dont know anybody that works for BNSF.

Thanks Again,

Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 AM

I think it helps to have an in or know someone, but that's just cus they tell ya when there is jobs open so you can put in. I would just put in your application, and keep putting it in. I know that this summer they will be hiring conductors so you might wanna try putting in for that too. Forsyth isn't a dream town I don't love it, but I like billings. I like red lodge, and chico hot springs so we don't mind forsyth, because we go out of town a lot to do the things we like to do. My dad did say the are hiring for maintance of way right now so just get putting in.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,822 times
I am a Forsyth native. My family has been in the area since 1976. I manage to get back there every once in awhile. The 4H program has always been very strong as Forsyth is a farm/ranch community. justasmalltowngirl is correct about all she has stated. The taekwando school started there when I was in elementary school and has done well. 'jastg' would be more up to date with those events than myself. I see the people as friendly, as I have brought friends to visit and none have felt snubbed by the locals. Housing prices are very low. There is an indoor heated pool for the community. Forsyth is the county seat for Rosebud County. The schools have changed since I lived there. All grades now attend one school. The old elementary and middle schools closed almost a decade ago. But, there is a good student to teacher ratio. The strip mines in Colstrip are the best bet for a decent paying job. There is not much for employment there.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 PM

About the schools the Jr high is closed, but they use the gym. They open the gym up on wed. and Sunday night for open basketball. Plus we have a basketball tournament in dec.. The elementary is open. Just jr high and high school go together. They use the elementary cafeteria for lunch or high schoolers can go home or dq, top that whatever to eat.

What can I say Forsyth is small, but some people like small towns. Me well I would rather be somewhere bigger like Billings, or Greatfalls. But for people who like a small community then Forsyth would be just fine. Its not hard to get involved in the community, and get to know people. The library has a great story time on Friday's where you can take your kids. There's programs for your kids, and they love to have family involvement. For a family who likes hunting, fishing, and small town feel then you will love forsyth. Its not the worst place on earth but there is better places. Unless your a rancher, miner, or railroader your probably not gonna get to far in this town. We do have Range here or work for the city. It what you make of it you can be left alone or you can get involved ant meet people. Once the warm up to ya they are pretty good people. When we moved here or neighbors brought us cookies, and the other neighbors help us move in. So people are nice, but it does take some time to fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana