U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 PM

37 posts, read 106,989 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am from South Dakota, I have been teaching in GA for 7 years (!), I have a horrible commute, 1 1/2 hours each way in gawd awful traffic.
I am really tired of the rat-race here.
I want to get back to 'my kind of people'...I am married, have an elderly mother who lives not far from us (91 years old but on her own), two dogs and a horse which I stable not far from here.
My wife manages a dental office. Our kids are out of the house and close to MT.
I am an down to earth, outside kind of guy (cowboy) - I don't need lots of shopping, restaurants - a diner/coffee shop and a small town bar are fine.
I am a musician and looking at a split position between 2 of the local high schools. I have done a lot of research about MT. I am aware of the kind of people that move in and irritate locals. These types irritate me too!
I would be grateful & thrilled to be in that part of the country again. I am down to earth, conservative, a veteran, and into the 'rural' life-style.
I think we would be neighbors that you would love to have.
ANY info that you would want to share would be great. I miss the snow!
I need to seriously downsize the stress in our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 05:59 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,904,066 times
You may try doing a search of this site and dig up some older posts that will most likely answer your question. Or be patient and someone will come up with this info for you soon.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM

989 posts, read 3,131,914 times
If you originate from SD then you have a pretty good idea what Montana is all about. After living where you are now you will feel like you have died and gone to heaven. The kids here are the same as everywhere-- funny as hell and very enjoyable. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:02 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,815,358 times
Stress happens everywhere. There are times in a person's life when we feel like it's our breaking point. Lots of times folks think that it's time to make some dramatic change, that also causes stress..

Stress isn't always a bad thing. It helps us find our strength, helps us keep moving when we think it's time to give up and most of all lets us know that we are alive.

It's a different world now, when a person needs a smack in the face, society gives out medication. When a person needs some down time, society hit's their wallets.

Lot's of really stressed people have moved here to find a relief of some sort, but a persons problems will always follow them until they are dealt with.

If a person needs to find a quite spot to stay to figure some things out, come on out and check out some of this country, take it in and bring it home with you. If you want to come out, buy a section and think it's gonna fix all of your problems, I'd recommend sticking it out where you are, dealing with whatever it is that's causing stress, and then making up your mind about the lifestyle you seek. Don't bring your stuff here. It will do more harm than good in the long run.

Last edited by Timberwolf232; 01-02-2009 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: the missing word

Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 4,298 times
You need to be prepared to teach children. Them little rascals can be a handful. Had one tell me to go **** off the other day.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the posts guys.
I was taken aback by Timberwolf's comments...does he think that I should just STAY out here and
commute in heavy traffic 3 - 4 hours and 'stick it out' for the rest of my life? I don't plan on bringing THAT with me to MT.
I have a lot to offer - particularly to your kids...not sure if that is what he means by "don't bring your stuff here." Kids are kids everywhere...I'm sure the ****off phrase will surface in MT too.
I'm not a cool-aid drinker - thats the place I live in now.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,162,236 times
I think Timberwolf's comments are spot on.

I've posted about teaching in Montana before, but here are my comments.

Teachers don't get paid well in Montana at all and schools don't have a lot of money. Entry level teaching salaries hover around $19-20k a year take home pay, senior teachers might earn 40-45k a year. Your spouses position is also likely to pay a lot less than what you're used to, I'd gander probably $8-$12 an hour to manage a dental office in many parts of Montana. You'll want to run the numbers and see if you can afford the lifestyle you want with the income you have.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,913,775 times
I would lay that management pay at around 10/hour with little or no benefits, low benefits for teachers also. You will find good info on this board but often brutally honest. I am a transplantee Traveled to Montana for several years in all seasons to get the feel for the way of life. Visit often and have several eggs in several baskets.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:52 AM

Thanks everyone. I am on the upper end of the pay scale...and being a musician I can also gig and teach private lessons. I understand the lower pay elements involved. I still believe life would be simpler there!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:30 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,162,236 times
The trouble with getting a teaching in Montana as a senior teacher is it costs the school a bunch of money to hire you, when they could hire a fresh face for half the pay. And trust me, school districts in Montana look at the finances very closely and much prefer hiring younger teachers for that very reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana