U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 03:19 PM

54 posts, read 278,421 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if you could help me find out where I can go to shop for winter wear/apparel? Any websites would be great too!!! Warmth is #1 Top Priority on my list but I'm a girl so next is fashion, I have been researching the warmest jackets for extreme weather conditions but I also wanted to look for trendy winter clothes to wear as well, professional and for outings so I thought I would ask the experts.

If you know of any links that help with cold weather planning, that would be great also! I have been trying to research how to keep safe and also how to layer clothes to keep warm.

Thank you very much!!! I appreciate any help/advice, links, or comments!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 05:59 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,520,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmers View Post
Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if you could help me find out where I can go to shop for winter wear/apparel? Any websites would be great too!!! Warmth is #1 Top Priority on my list but I'm a girl so next is fashion, I have been researching the warmest jackets for extreme weather conditions but I also wanted to look for trendy winter clothes to wear as well, professional and for outings so I thought I would ask the experts.

If you know of any links that help with cold weather planning, that would be great also! I have been trying to research how to keep safe and also how to layer clothes to keep warm.

Thank you very much!!! I appreciate any help/advice, links, or comments!!!
http://www.woolnstuff.com/woolwaswoolp.html (broken link)
rei.com
http://www.hellyhansengear.com/catalog/ (broken link)
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/def...a_trading_post

these would be my picks, google on layering it a very important item to understand. Not rocket science just different weight fleece different weights of most items depending on conditions.
Alot of time a breathable wind breaker & pants and top with a hat to hold heat in is all ya need.
Goretex is a tad over rated and others have comparable items in ther line.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:25 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,752,948 times
Did you ever see the movie The Edge with Anthony Hopkins? He killed a grizzly bear, skinned it and used it as winter attire suitable for Alaska. For those who are less adventerous I don't think you need to spend a great deal of money for special winter clothing. What you need to do is have multiple layers of thick clothing that you find attractive. It doesn't have to be from some high priced specialty company. After all, you're not leading a dog sled to the north pole, you just want to be comfortable in a cold winter environment.
Years ago when I took a job for a few months working outside all day during the winter months I had a huge number of jackets, sweaters, etc. that was covered by a heavy bright yellow waterproof windbreaker. One day the weather suddenly changed dramatically and the temperature must have warmed up by fourty or fifty degrees. I got rid of many of those layers of clothing because it was too much. I noticed a bunch of the guys were laughing at me and one of them told me that for the past several months that they all thought I was fat because none of them knew me outside of work and after dropping a half dozen layers of clothing they could see that I was just this young skinny guy wearing a whole bunch of clothes.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:35 PM

54 posts, read 278,421 times
Thanks a bunch for the advice Rambrush and MontanaGuy. I appreciate the links, I looked up all of them and bookmarked them. Yes, I agree, I am not looking for high priced apparel. I know I'd probably be the same way, wearing a half a dozen layers, so I'll be sure google it and get some ideas on how to layer while not looking twice my size.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:35 AM

1,552 posts, read 5,520,511 times
I agree with him looks are not what counts, even when I was exploring Alaska I had the appropriate long underwear on but over that I used a wicking t shirt and hiking shorts with long wool socks hangin out.
If it started raining or was windy I would put on the layer to block that.
If I was still not warm enough I would do a fleece coat and pants.
With your hands mittens are better cause all fingers can share the heat. Gloves each finger has to generate enough heat. A pair of mittens I use have down filling but also have a hole that I can pull my fingers out and use them for the situations that require fingers and not mittens.
As you are aware or will discover thing come in lightweight midweight and heavy.
You pay for quality items, but some of my gear has been around for 20 years.
Pendelton wool shirts items only used in winter and stored away for the next season plus if they get rotated in use makes them last longer.
Some materials are better than others for odor control some you can wear a few days with no problem. Some 1 day and its like bad news.
Just pick the appropriate layering, If you start to prespire take a layer off cause that moisture is going to act against you like a swamp cooler. Start off thicker than required and trim layers till you get things ironed out.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 PM

373 posts, read 1,701,997 times
These sound like guys! Are you trying to get around in a car or do backcountry activities? I'd recommend getting two coats for various activities. I have my work coat and my play coat and they don't look anything alike. Looks do count for the in-town coat; I hear you, sister! Guys are going to say you don't need it, but do I really need all my shoes? No! But, would you want to wear tennis shoes your favorite dress pants? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or