U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 AM

281 posts, read 731,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhlJay View Post
Hey All -

Our electric bill almost doubled....went from $165 to $323 due to these insane charges. They had a piece on one of the Billings news stations last night and featured a Beartooth Electric customer who got a $903 electric bill this month!!!
Wow! I suppose I should stop complaining about Northwest Energy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 08:25 AM

7,544 posts, read 12,618,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
Wow! I suppose I should stop complaining about Northwest Energy!
Ha, that's nothing. You should have SoCal Edison. My bill went from $8 to $20 in one year, and over the next nine years to $120 -- for the SAME minimal average power use (actually, 30% LESS than I used 10 years ago): The everyday stuff is two computers (with only one monitor), an energy-efficient fridge, a CF light bulb, a water heater that is VERY efficient, and a low-power fan.

Running a single 60W lightbulb 8 hours a day costs $30/month.
Running a yard light 8 hours a night costs about $300/month. (This is why I don't have a yard light.)
Running a 500W heater as minimally as can be managed to keep PART of the house at 60 degrees costs about $300/month.
Baking my Xmas turkey last year cost $20.
If you look at the rate structure it shouldn't total up this high, but somehow it does anyway. AND they just raised the rates 18%.

My mom, who is on PG&E, was gone for a month and left only the (newish) fridge running, and came back to a $40 bill for the month.

If I could find a ready-made setup that I could just hook the electric heater to, that would save me over a grand in heating costs each winter.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 AM

1,436 posts, read 2,926,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Ha, that's nothing. You should have SoCal Edison. My bill went from $8 to $20 in one year, and over the next nine years to $120 -- for the SAME minimal average power use (actually, 30% LESS than I used 10 years ago): The everyday stuff is two computers (with only one monitor), an energy-efficient fridge, a CF light bulb, a water heater that is VERY efficient, and a low-power fan.

Running a single 60W lightbulb 8 hours a day costs $30/month.
Running a yard light 8 hours a night costs about $300/month. (This is why I don't have a yard light.)
Running a 500W heater as minimally as can be managed to keep PART of the house at 60 degrees costs about $300/month.
Baking my Xmas turkey last year cost $20.
If you look at the rate structure it shouldn't total up this high, but somehow it does anyway. AND they just raised the rates 18%.

My mom, who is on PG&E, was gone for a month and left only the (newish) fridge running, and came back to a $40 bill for the month.

If I could find a ready-made setup that I could just hook the electric heater to, that would save me over a grand in heating costs each winter.

Holy Crap Batman ...... all said and done with all the different fees and such, what are you paying per KWh for your average usage ?

I remember back in OH our bill always ran about $150 or so. Worked out to be about $.14 KWh after this fee and that fee and that other fee..... and that last fee. The actual electric you were being charged for was only $.04 KWh. Here in the Flathead we're at about $.07 in the end. Couldn't be happier .

Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Holy Crap Batman ...... all said and done with all the different fees and such, what are you paying per KWh for your average usage ?

I remember back in OH our bill always ran about $150 or so. Worked out to be about $.14 KWh after this fee and that fee and that other fee..... and that last fee. The actual electric you were being charged for was only $.04 KWh. Here in the Flathead we're at about $.07 in the end. Couldn't be happier .
The nominal rate starts at about $0.06/KWh, but... there are two "basic charges", SIX baselines, and EIGHT "over baseline" rate tiers that show just on my bill (it appears the rates are cumulative); I don't know what are above that. So...

It works out to between $0.18 and $0.28 per KWh, if you stay down in the lower use tiers, but the lowest baseline is something like 90KWh/month. Can be higher if you use a merely normal amount -- my usage is generally around 500KWh/month summer, half again that winter, which is very low. However, there are different rates for peak hours, winter, summer, moon phase, and gods know what else, and it keeps going up and up even tho supposedly this is the first actual rate hike in a decade, and was supposedly offset by a decrease in the seasonal rates for the other half of the year. (Yeah, like THAT will happen.)

And I get dinged an extra $30/month fee for my well (separate account) because 3-phase well pumps are charged as a "business". Otherwise its usage bill would be under $10/mo. As it is, the charge averages out around $0.60 per KWh for light use or a bit less for higher use. (To add insult to injury, a couple months ago the fancy new electronic meter took a bad surge and went berserk, adding 300KWh, roughly $70, to my bill that I didn't use. We're still arguing about that.)

Base rate for a home with ZERO usage is about $20/month.

Wish I'd had the cash to invest in a windmill; it would have paid for itself about now, even if it only powered the heater and the well pump.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 AM

BTW my neighbour a mile down the road has a big old place he bought in 2000, and it costs (are you sitting down??) about $2000 per month just to run the central air conditioning at about half the level the place needs. The guy has more money than god (he paid $400,000 CASH for the place) and put in a giant windmill, and it was still cheaper than paying Edison!

(BTW the funky-looking sheet-iron fence around his pool is to keep rattlesnakes out.)

Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhlJay View Post
Our electric bill almost doubled....went from $165 to $323 due to these insane charges. They had a piece on one of the Billings news stations last night and featured a Beartooth Electric customer who got a $903 electric bill this month!!!
I wonder what would happen if all the customers simply stopped paying their bills, or refused to pay rates above the old level? Seriously, the whole system only continues to grow in costs as it does because it has us by the balls, especially now that "deregulation" has destroyed locally-generated power. There comes a point where it's just not tenable -- what working stiff can afford bills like those?? I know I'd be on candles and scrap wood long before that point.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,487,484 times
Quote:
I wonder what would happen if all the customers simply stopped paying their bills, or refused to pay rates above the old level? Seriously, the whole system only continues to grow in costs as it does because it has us by the balls, especially now that "deregulation" has destroyed locally-generated power. There comes a point where it's just not tenable -- what working stiff can afford bills like those?? I know I'd be on candles and scrap wood long before that point.
That would only work if "EVERYBODY" did it at the same time. Or, at least a big enough majority to hurt their pocket book.

Where I live, we have Montana Dakota Utilities. Last fall they applied for a 32% increase in residential power. The Commission shot them down and would only allow a 9% increase. Baloney! My lightbill went from $55 a month to $87 a month. Because they couldn't raise power costs, they raised everything else. They used to have a $15 a month general fee (for even having a meter). You paid that no matter what. This year, it's $25 general fee. So kwh's went up by 9%, but several other things went up also.

So, they'll get you in the end. Didn't you know? We work for them.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 AM

1,436 posts, read 2,926,725 times
Quote:
The nominal rate starts at about $0.06/KWh, but... there are two "basic charges", SIX baselines, and EIGHT "over baseline" rate tiers that show just on my bill (it appears the rates are cumulative); I don't know what are above that. So...

It works out to between $0.18 and $0.28 per KWh, if you stay down in the lower use tiers, but the lowest baseline is something like 90KWh/month. Can be higher if you use a merely normal amount -- my usage is generally around 500KWh/month summer, half again that winter, which is very low. However, there are different rates for peak hours, winter, summer, moon phase, and gods know what else, and it keeps going up and up even tho supposedly this is the first actual rate hike in a decade, and was supposedly offset by a decrease in the seasonal rates for the other half of the year. (Yeah, like THAT will happen.)

And I get dinged an extra $30/month fee for my well (separate account) because 3-phase well pumps are charged as a "business". Otherwise its usage bill would be under $10/mo. As it is, the charge averages out around $0.60 per KWh for light use or a bit less for higher use. (To add insult to injury, a couple months ago the fancy new electronic meter took a bad surge and went berserk, adding 300KWh, roughly $70, to my bill that I didn't use. We're still arguing about that.)

Base rate for a home with ZERO usage is about $20/month.

Wish I'd had the cash to invest in a windmill; it would have paid for itself about now, even if it only powered the heater and the well pump.
WOW...... That's all I can say about that ! Me personally.... I'd make life altering adjustments before be subjected to that kind of BS by society. But that's me.

And to probably make matters worse, I'm sure that kind of BS isn't limited to just the Elec co. in your area either ! I couldn't deal with that.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That would only work if "EVERYBODY" did it at the same time. Or, at least a big enough majority to hurt their pocket book.

Where I live, we have Montana Dakota Utilities. Last fall they applied for a 32% increase in residential power. The Commission shot them down and would only allow a 9% increase. Baloney! My lightbill went from $55 a month to $87 a month. Because they couldn't raise power costs, they raised everything else. They used to have a $15 a month general fee (for even having a meter). You paid that no matter what. This year, it's $25 general fee. So kwh's went up by 9%, but several other things went up also.

So, they'll get you in the end. Didn't you know? We work for them.
Yep... we're just wallets to be emptied, not customers to be kept. It's the same with every service that is restricted from gouging on product -- they find some other way to take you for a ride.

As you say, with any civil or economic "disobedience", a big enough chunk has to agree to do it all at once to make it impossible to retaliate. You and me and a few others ain't enough.

I'm wondering what it would take to get a new user-owned electric co-op going, with the charter provision that it can NEVER be sold to a corporate interest, with the intent of preventing this sort of nonsense where someone far away profits handsomely, and if we starve as a result, oh well.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Where I live, we have Montana Dakota Utilities. Last fall they applied for a 32% increase in residential power. The Commission shot them down and would only allow a 9% increase.
Then you'll surely enjoy this:
MDU Files Electric Rate Increase Request (http://www.northeastmontananews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3224: mdu-files-electric-rate-increase-request&catid=52:news-culbertsonsearchlight&Itemid=117 - broken link)

Up and up it goes until there's no money left for anything else.

Out in the boonies you can get at least partially off-grid (if you can afford the upfront investment), but what about the townfolks who have no practical way to do that? especially where some HMO says no solar panels on the roof, no windmills, and no generators running after 10pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana