Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 12,080 times

Advertisements

I know I had read a thread around here at on point about the Montana tax situation, but I can't seem to find it now, so I apologize if this is a well worn topic. I've looked at the tax foundations breakdown, but remember reading someone saying that if you make more than around 80,000 you will be taxed at a high 11%! That sure seems to make up for any minute savings you would have without a sales tax. I would appreciate any verification of this or just a discussion about the financial pros and cons of this wonderful state. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 06:28 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
According to the Montana Income Tax Form 2M tax table, If your taxable income is more than $15,600, you multiply the taxable income by 6.9%, subtract $499, and the remainder is your tax.
Taxable income, of course, is the remainder after all exemptions and deductions have been subtracted.
That is the highest rate shown in the table.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:37 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I will vote FOR a sales tax when and if the Income Tax goes away at the exact same instant the sales tax goes into effect!
If a sales tax ever does get passed, the governments in the State would have to learn to live within their budgets. The State Constitution specifically limits ANY sales tax to 4%. It would take a Constitutional Ammendment to set the tax rate any higher than that!
Such an ammendment would be a tough sell, to say the least!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I will vote FOR a sales tax when and if the Income Tax goes away at the exact same instant the sales tax goes into effect!
If a sales tax ever does get passed, the governments in the State would have to learn to live within their budgets. The State Constitution specifically limits ANY sales tax to 4%. It would take a Constitutional Ammendment to set the tax rate any higher than that!
Such an ammendment would be a tough sell, to say the least!
I hope others join you in your goal of having EITHER/OR a sales tax vs income tax. Here in California the legislators have removed that difficult decision from us. We have BOTH, with an income tax rate of 9.5% and a sales tax rate near 7.5% and they have still given every cent away to entitlement programs, union demands, and obscene pensions for those in power. We are broke and they still refuse to cut items such as paying for a van pool for illegal aliens.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:56 PM

305 posts, read 869,078 times
Quote:
What would keep them from phasing back in the income tax after they had made it go away? Then they would have their sales tax AND income tax!

Last edited by Gman2007; 01-17-2009 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: etc

Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2007 View Post
What would keep them from phasing back in the income tax after they had made it go away? Then they would have their sales tax AND income tax!
That is why the sales tax has never been passed here though it's been tried many times. Every time the public tells them ok, pass an amendment that says income tax cannot be brought back without a vote of the people and the sales tax will pass. Needless to say the powers that be don't want to do that.
What they did do was back door a sales tax calling it a "resort tax". That's why I refuse to buy anything in Whitefish unless I have no choice.
I'd much prefer a sales tax so all the tourists pay to play but not until they drop income tax and lessen property taxes.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:30 AM

71 posts, read 305,861 times
So only in Whitefish you have to pay a "resort tax"? So it will cost more to live there? That is where we have been really considering buying some land.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:40 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
The very reason we passed on through............

Old 01-18-2009, 12:38 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawagners View Post
So only in Whitefish you have to pay a "resort tax"? So it will cost more to live there? That is where we have been really considering buying some land.
Will it cost more to live in Whitefish! hahahahahahahahahahhahahaha. Sorry, that's my hometown and where I grew up. I don't live there now because it's too expensive.

The answer is most people living in Whitefish don't generally have to worry about the resort tax because there really aren't stores you go shopping at in Whitefish. Food and gas is exempt and most other shopping you end up going to Kalispell anyway. Sportsmans, Western Building Center, and and maybe one or two other stores you'll shop at, but most things you will go to Kalispell for.

Yes, Whitefish is expensive. Look at land prices and you will see how expensive it is in Whitefish. If you're looking at affordable land, then you're looking a long ways out of town or land that doesn't have utilities (and utilities are very, very expensive to bring in.)

Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 12,080 times
Quote:
According to the Montana Income Tax Form 2M tax table, If your taxable income is more than $15,600, you multiply the taxable income by 6.9%, subtract $499, and the remainder is your tax.
Taxable income, of course, is the remainder after all exemptions and deductions have been subtracted.
That is the highest rate shown in the table.
Thanks Redraven. This is exactly what I had found but couldn't get that old post out of my mind. I appreciate the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana