Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 PM

148 posts, read 561,260 times

Advertisements

I am just curious. But I though a ghost town was a town that had a population of ZERO, not 150??? Virginia City is not a ghost town, it's a historic town. Do I not know what a ghost otwn is or something?

Someone correct me if I am misinformed please! I have always thought of a ghost town as an old deserted town that has not had anyone living there for a long time.

I have been researching a good ghost town myself lately to go to, and I saw this post and the Virginia City stuff. If that is what is advertised as a ghost town, I guess I am not as interested anymore.

So does anyone know of an "empty" ghost town that has some relics left over that isn't a waste of time driving from Shelby? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 01:03 AM

305 posts, read 869,078 times
The closest one to you is Gold Butte up in the Sweetgrass Hills. There won't be much left to see there except maybe some evidence of mining and the cemetery.

Sweet_Grass_Hills_Gold_Butte_Montana_Pictures

A Ghost Town: Gold Butte, Montana

A good book I have is called, Ghost Towns of Montana by Don Miller. The pictures are good but the maps aren't. It shows about 40 ghost towns around Montana and would give you an idea of some you may be interested in.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 11,663 times
Personally, I really recommend Granite ghost town. Theres not a whole lot left standing, but navigating the drive up there is fun in itself. I've been there twice now. Once in 2000, and then again this past July. This last time the dirt road up there was so washed out and full of deep ruts that I barely made it in my 4x4 F250. It's a good thing no one was coming up/down, cause there was no room for two vehicles side by side.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:38 PM

31 posts, read 91,936 times
It's in Idaho near the Montana border but check out Burke, Idaho. You can get there from Thompson Falls (in the summer only) by going up Prospect Creek to Cooper Creek, hand a left and head out the dirt road straight for about 18 miles and you'll come out in Burke. the cool thing about Burke is the notch the town was built in was so narrow and steep the built the hotel over the canyon, and a railroad actually pulled through the hotel lobby. Many of the buildings are still there, and there is some signs that explains the history.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:36 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
I've been through Burke quite a few times. I also go to a very little known Ghost town that is on few maps (only three maps that I know of show its location). There are a couple of log cabin remains, an old car body and a broken down mill structure. There is a tunnel you can go in to the end with side drift tunnels with one at the end that spirals in to itself like a snail shell interior. You can also dig chrysacolla out of the roof of the end of the tunnel if you have the guts ! Sorry but I am keeping the location of this place a secret.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:59 PM

OK it's not that big of a secret anyway. It's The Green Mountain Mine, aka The Dixon Mine.
But I ain't going to tell ya how to get to it ! A friend of mine and I went there once and there was a white rabbit sitting in the tunnel entrance. We followed in all the way to the end where it doubled back and ran back past us to the entrance. After we were done exploring and after getting back to the rig parked nearby, we looked back at the mine entrance and there was the rabbit again just sitting there guarding it's home.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Was the wabbit 6' tall with floppy bunny ears?? LOL, just kidding. I always enjoy your informative comments, must give you some reps.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM

Here are some pictures of the Green Mountain Mine. I felt sorry for the white rabbit. It was very thin and was drinking mine water. I think it ran away from a nearby summer cabin or a house down the road.

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Green Mountai...

Old 02-22-2009, 11:25 AM

214 posts, read 601,595 times
Garnet is a nice restored ghost town and Elkhorn a nice unrestored.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,302 times
last year we took our kids to Bannak and Virginia City. Bannak by far was better. the whole city is deserted and you can go in and out of most buildings at will. The kids(age 2 and 4) LOVED it. Virginia City was cute but is restored and is commercial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana