U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 AM

989 posts, read 3,132,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
... they are bred as a fighting dog, and as an attack animal. its BRED into them. its not going away.
A logically thinking person can see this; but when a person knows a dog and completely loves that dog they become illogical and emotional about that breed.

That's what we are seeing on this thread, folks who mean well but are not being honest with themselves... or they are simply not well informed.

It's basic selective breeding 101, these dogs are very good at what they were bred to do, no amount of bickering will change that fact. BTW, I don't begrudge anyone for defending a breed that they love, even if the truth is not on their side.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:39 AM

919 posts, read 1,704,105 times
retrieving a ball or stick is not what Im talking about. my cattle dog works cows naturally. he's not a bird dog I go pheasant hunting with. these things come naturally to them. will the dog bite? yes when he's in the truck. still cant believe the stupid people that cant leave him alone there. they deserve to be bit. but he doesnt try rip your face off. he will grab the hand letting them know to leave him alone, after that he will bite harder,only once.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:37 AM

195 posts, read 980,786 times
I live near a rural town in IA that's trying to regulate and ban pit bulls- Ossian, IA. Basically, they want a reporting system on current pit bulls as to how many there are, where they live, when they have offspring etc and also they want to make sure the pit bulls are restrained, unable to possibly get loose, and they want pit bull owners to put ''' Beware of Dog'' signs up. They want any new pit bulls banned from moving into town, although the existing ones can stay, provided the regulations are followed. I guess the concern was started by the only pit bull in town running loose around the town. I think regulating pit bulls is a good thing, although banning them is extreme, but some pet owners are not responsible at times, like the above owner that was letting the pit bull run around town.I think pit bulls should be banned in some cases, like the above.

Last edited by summer grace; 01-21-2009 at 04:46 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,914,706 times
Talking canines biggest

See if you would just let the wolves run loose and overpopulate we would not have to ban anything. Jeeze!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,538,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
See if you would just let the wolves run loose and overpopulate we would not have to ban anything. Jeeze!
There ya go!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:04 AM

102 posts, read 239,482 times
It's not a silver bullet, but mandatory homeowners, or other coverage on the dog itself may help. When I last renewed or modified my homeowners policy the specific dog (pitbulls, and some other breeds that are indistinguishable to me from a pitbull were listed) and my policy premiums would have been significantly higher should I own one of these dogs or allowed wild party girls in my house (that was an easy choice

The extra cost policy would discourage ownership, and provide coverage to those harmed, and certainly send the message to society that the particular animal is an exceptional risk.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,162,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalCalifornian View Post
It's not a silver bullet, but mandatory homeowners, or other coverage on the dog itself may help. When I last renewed or modified my homeowners policy the specific dog (pitbulls, and some other breeds that are indistinguishable to me from a pitbull were listed) and my policy premiums would have been significantly higher should I own one of these dogs or allowed wild party girls in my house (that was an easy choice

The extra cost policy would discourage ownership, and provide coverage to those harmed, and certainly send the message to society that the particular animal is an exceptional risk.
I am firmly against the government mandating insurance policies. No amount of money will make the injuries "ok" for the victim and it encourages lawsuits, lawyers, and other industries that we shouldn't have around in the first place.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 AM

I know my past and current insurance makes it cost prohibitive to own several breeds of dogs, pretty much banning 'em as I refuse to pay the cost. If insurance can be/is mandated for driving a car in case of an accident then what would be the difference if it were mandated for owning a dog for the same reason?
Let the owners decide if it's worth it to them to pay the increased cost.

As for this mandate "creating" any lawsuit or lawyer issues, it's worse if you aren't insured. If a someone is injured don't you think that they'd expect to be repaid for doctor bills etc? That being the case if you're uninsured I'd bet you'd be sued creating just the situation that's not wanted. If you're insured at least there'd be something there not to mention if you're sued the insurance company is bound by the policy to defend you.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 AM

352 posts, read 1,006,454 times
Here's how it works in my (rural) area.

1) You got a vicious dog, he stays in the yard and you put a sign up. He raises cain and you get a phone call from someone, not a cop; second phone call you're not gonna like. He's gone from the yard he's on his own and likely won't return home. Very likely - not really his fault but kids and stock are more important; that's just the way it is.

2) Good dogs get their run of things, get caught once running stock or acting anything other than friendly they get a ride back to the owner with a friendly word about caring for their safety. Second time out they're fair game; just depends on who they bother.

Now before you brand me as a dog hater, I'm a lifelong border collie person - can't get enough of them. We have two or three of the neighbors dogs over here every once in awhile. None chase my stock or are anything other than friends with my border. I always say hi and give 'em a scratch behind the ear - it's easy to spot a dog that's just making the rounds as oppposed to one who's up to no good. I had a paper route for a long time when I was a kid and learned early about dog manners (or the lack thereof). I'd rather spend a day with a good dog than a lot of people I know.

We ban one thing after another - something goes away and another rises to take it's place. I agree with one of the above posts - personal responsibility is key and so is the power of suggestion. I don't want to see anyone, especially a kid, hurt. That's why in my neck o' the woods the above rules are in place. Pits have a pre-disposition towards a specific behavior; if it's fostered it's not surprising they'd fall back to it. Different owner and homelife, completely different dog.

Remember the 'Marbles' incident...Our Marbles | Big Sky Blog

Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM

Range, I'd suspect it's that way in many areas, people just don't talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana